SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joeblfsk

The fantastic wildlife in SW Florida !

We've got a bully in our park !

Just feel I had to relate what I just witnessed on the street outside my mobile home ! When I first looked out my front kitchen window at 08:05 AM, on Thursday, March 14, 2019,.. I immediately saw it. It looked like the body of a large black rabbit or cat, squashed in the middle of the street outside, named Blue Heron Dr.,...most likely a night time accident !

Saw more than a few people out walking and glancing down as they passed by. Feeling a bit sad, I went about my morning chores, then 10 or so seconds later, - my eyes were attracted to the wild fluttering of large black wings. There were four large black vultures, just descending and excitedly pecking away at the dead animal.

Checked my computer, then returned to the kitchen sink at exactly 08:30 AM and saw it ! A huge ( 3x larger than the biggest vulture ) bald eagle swooping down on the carcass as the vultures frantically scattered ! The eagle was a majestic sight, seldom have I seen one this close ! His gorgeous white head & neck swiveling around as he sat atop the dead body, and stared down the frightened vultures, now 20 ft away. He wasted little time, after bullying the frightened black birds, he stomped his huge talons on the carcass a few times, - then spread his majestic wings ( must've been a 6 ft wing span ), flapped them once and rocketed off towards the south with the entire body of the dead rabbit or cat drooping down from his talons ! Leaving nothing on the street,..nothing !

The shaken vultures timidly returned, numbering at least 9 by now, but snoop as they might, there was nary a hair left to nibble on. As I walked away from the window I felt truly excited about what I had just witnessed,..so close up yet.

A sight I have not frequently seen here in SW Florida,..or ever seen,..especially for a guy born & raised in the concrete canyons of NW Manhattan ! Just felt I had to share it with my online pals. :o)

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County