SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Will household 5% vinegar kill weeds?

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

All the misty rain in months past has enabled millions of little weeds to come up in the yard like never before. They are mostly seeds of good plants like Cedar elm, larkspur and white wine cups, but are sprouting where they are not wanted. In the beds they are easily uprooted from the mulch by dragging a hoe across them, but that doesn't work in the gravel and between paving stones. There are also 'real' weeds like the little flat growing euphorbia, shamrocks and others.

Glyphosate products kill weeds so easily ... sigh, but this body is very reactive to it, or to the often unlisted inert ingredients used to make glyphosate more penetrable, that I once again shied away from using it. I went back to using household vinegar mixed with orange oil and dish washing detergent.

The weeds were sprayed about noon and by 4:00 PM they are shrived up and dead looking, but only the ones in the sun. The vinegar treatment does not work in the shade. It's been said that the vinegar treatment only kills the top and that they will come back from the roots. Whether this applies to my tiny seedlings or to larger plants remains to be seen. But I'm thrilled with the apparent success so far.

For the weeds in shade I've laid a heavy black plastic trash bag weighed down by rocks. How long those weeds will survive is unknown for now, but we will see.

So what are y'all doing about the weeds?

Comments (11)