SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

Top Coaches, Actresses Lori Loughlin, Felicity Huffman Charged

eld6161
5 years ago

..in college scheme along with many others, to get their children accepted into top schools.

Evidently, the children did not know that they did not get into the colleges on their own merit.

I can't imagine what these kids are feeling and thinking right now.

Comments (98)

• dedtired
    5 years ago

Why does Olivia Jade deserve to take a beating? Did she know what was going on? Her parents deserve the beating, not her. I would imagine she is humiliated. I did not read the twitter feed so maybe there is something going on that I am not aware of.

I am stunned by the amount of money the parents paid. Crazy.

eld6161 thanked dedtired
  • socks
    5 years ago

I just shake my head at Lori Laughlin playing such a "goodie 2-shoes" in the show "When Calls the Heart." I still have a season to watch but not sure if I can.

eld6161 thanked socks
  • Janie
    5 years ago

Dedtired, last night I saw on tv a video of Olivia Jade being (imo) prissy and cutsey and saying that she was looking forward to school for the social things and she didn't care about the schooling part of it. Now that is not a quote, because I saw it on tv and do not remember what she said exactly, but I certainly got her message! Again this is just my opinion - but I think she and her mother and I think maybe her father also deserve the humiliation.

eld6161 thanked Janie
  • OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

The daughter definitely made some dumb teenager remarks. Whether she knew about what was going on is anyone’s guess. She was probably somewhat truthful about what she said, and really didn’t plan to ‘excel’ in her studies. But who knows if that was just twitter/blog talk for the benefit of her friends and followers.

eld6161 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • sleeperblues
    5 years ago

I have a hard time believing she (Olivia Jade) did not know what was going on. Since she has made a job out of being a "social media influencer" I highly doubt she excelled academically. She spent all of her time on you-tube. Kids know what it takes to get into a good school, and she had to know that she did not cut the mustard. She doesn't seem too bright to me. She wanted the college experience of game days and parties, not rigorous studies and all night study sessions. She deserves all the back lash she and the rest of her family is getting on twitter.

eld6161 thanked sleeperblues
  • graywings123
    5 years ago

^^^ And that's what some of the Twitter talk was about. For example:

• kadefol
    5 years ago

I wonder how far these parents were willing to go. Once the kid has been bribed into school, do the parents pay someone else to take exams and meet whatever requirements are necessary for graduation?

And once the kid "graduates", do they have a job lined up where they get paid $$$$$ just to show up?

These people are filthy rich and can lavishly support themselves and their kids for life, so I really don't understand why they were willing to cheat to force their incapable/uninterested offspring into college in the first place.

eld6161 thanked kadefol
  • blfenton
    5 years ago

I don't know if this is part of it or not but when my kids were in school (elementary and high school) there were so many parents constantly bragging about how great their kids were - they made the gifted program, they made the higher level sport team for this or that sport, they got 4 awards for track and field, they were chosen for the science fair. blah, blah, blah. Then grade 12 - they were accepted into 3 schools, they got so many in scholarships = it's just a continuation of that bragging, of oneupmanship. And so many of these parents were doing the work for their kids.

You see the same thing on various forums on GW. That this happened and exists doesn't surprise me in the least and if someone were to keep on digging it's probably the tip of the iceberg.

eld6161 thanked blfenton
  • eld6161 thanked Amazing Aunt Audrey
  • diane_nj 6b/7a
    5 years ago

Hallmark’s parent company has fired Loughlin.

eld6161 thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • blfenton
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I wondered about that. The court had allowed her to travel to Vancouver to finish a contract that she had which expires in November. I don't know if that was for When the Heart Calls or a Garage Sale Mystery as they're both filmed in Vancouver.

Does Hallmark own both?

Her daughter OliviaJade was cruising with the daughter of the chairman of USC in the Bahamas for spring break and has come home and Sephora has cut ties with her and her makeup line. I would imagine she is probably an outcast. For someone who creates trends this will be devastating. Oh well

She's an "influencer" - that's the word I was looking for. Not anymore she isn't.

eld6161 thanked blfenton
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

This is not about the bribery scandal, arrests, cheating.......

blfenton- I know a bit what you're talking about, the braggarts talking about little else than what their kids had done. When speaking to other parents who also have kids, it can be boorish and certainly unnecessary. However, among the kids and parents I've known over the years, I realized early on that if you dialed back the impoliteness you often found parents who taught their kids to work hard and be fair but competitive in what they did. They cared, maybe sometimes too much, but they tried to help. Those kids often had more success and accomplishments than those who didn't receive such guidance and coaching. And that often mattered.

Life is competitive and unfortunately for college bound kids, success in high school is important in the (99+% of the time fair) applicant assessments for college admissions. Those who were encouraged to work hard and do their best got into better schools (that can matter too) and often also had superior skills to do well in college. That can contribute to better success and more choices if graduate programs were a desired next step. And, ultimately, more and better job choices.

For me, dishonesty and or a lack of integrity is NEVER acceptable. Never. Cheating and rule bending are never acceptable. But if the job of being a parent is to prepare one's kids for successful life as adults, failure to teach kids to understand the importance of and ways to be successful with peer competition is just that - a big parental failure. I've seen too much of that too. Kids can't raise themselves.

eld6161 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • blfenton
    5 years ago

Elmer J Fudd - I discovered that about parents once the kids were out of school. When running into parents at functions after our kids had graduated that's when I found honesty from the parents about the real hard fought successes and sometimes difficulties of raising their children. Up until then it always seemed to be some sort of competition which I stayed away from.

eld6161 thanked blfenton
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

Many humans are by nature competitive. Those who are not, rarely get very far in life, but they may be fine with that. My late husband, a Yale graduate, was not competitive by nature. He had no desire to be a head of school - his heart was in the classroom. He was a very good teacher, but he didn't earn a very good salary and that was often quite hard. He would not have wanted our children to go into teaching and they did not.

A parent must truly know his child. Both my children are competitive by nature, one a bit more than the other. They both have at least one child who is highly competitive, the other not as much. One does not try to hold back a competitive child - just let them go and be there for them with reassurance if they fail. Most are not devastated by failure - they just try again.

A parent who knows his child will have a pretty good idea what school will serve that child well. And it is quickly validated when one sees that child walk onto a campus and just beam. They know.

It is the job of a parent to hold their children to high standards - to be the best they are capable of being. If that's being a C student, then they should not be getting D's and F's. If they are capable of much more, they should use the gifts they were given.

Parents need to teach children a strong work ethic, impulse control, self-discipline, the ability to work toward a long term goal. Also, that there are no short-cuts in life.

These wealthy parents believe there ARE short-cuts if one has enough money. Sometimes, that is true, but in the end it never really is. They were "ripe for the picking" by the shyster, Mr Singer, who has "con artist" written all over him. They fell for his flattery and nonsense. He could only pull these tricks a few times. Only at USC where he was in cahoots with an Ass't Athletic Director, was he able to do it multiple times in multiple sports.

Often a true recruit has the academic qualifications to get in on his own - a very highly qualified candidate as well as a great athlete. A coach may tell the recruit he IS a recruit, but if the parents don't know to ask for a "Likely Letter" from admissions, he may just tell admissions that he's a supported candidate - he's going to get in anyway. Then he "sold" that recruiting spot to Singer. The Yale coach was retiring - guess he saw this as his "golden parachute". What a shame he succumbed to such temptation. But a coach can only do this on rare occasions - he's going to get caught and more and more parents know to ask for a Likely Letter - lots and lots of information right on the internet.

I cannot imagine any parent not being proud when a child reaches a goal or gets an award or has some significant achievement. Yes, they are going to share this information with others as they are bursting with pride and pleasure FOR their child. Others may see it as "bragging". Wasn't it Dizzy Dean who said, "If it's true, it ain't bragging"?

Yes, some parents see their child as a brand and live through them. Most don't, but it sure is pleasurable to see a child succeed and experience the joy of that success.

Monday, would have been my late husband's and my 41st wedding anniversary - we were married 27 years before he died. My eldest grandson remembers him best, but we talk about "Poppa" all the time. As I've said, he was a teacher - a secondary school math teacher. He loved math, and he'd have been thrilled to see two of his grandchildren love it, too. I wrote them all and asked them to think of my husband and all he did for our family (children were from my first marriage, but he loved them as his own and had no biological children himself). Eldest grandchild, who is in college, wrote me back and said he just wished Poppa could see the math he was doing at his university. It's so advanced (even though he's only a freshman), that he would probably have had to explain it to my late husband, but boy would he have been proud. And yes, I'm very proud of this boy's accomplishments, but especially in his joy in doing both his very demanding academics, and his sport.

Nothing robotic about this boy - just the joy of learning, working hard and achieving. And that's what we should all want for our children - that joy. The success is just icing on the cake.

eld6161 thanked Anglophilia
  • Feathers11
    5 years ago

In my life, I interact with a wide cross-section of people, from those who've attended Ivy Leagues, have prestigious careers and drive luxury cars, to those whose parents are incarcerated and who could strip down luxury cars in a backstreet alley in 10 seconds flat. The happiness of every one of these individuals has nothing to do with where they went to school or what advantages or disadvantages they've had. I feel genuine pity for these kids who are caught up in this scandal, as well as their parents and the other adults responsible who believe that what they were pursuing leads to satisfied lives. Of course life can be easier on this elite track with financial reward, but easier doesn't mean happier. We all know plenty of examples.

I am disheartened that the high-profile actresses are what we're visually seeing covered on this case, when there are plenty of others who are just as involved but whose faces aren't as recognizable and, therefore, aren't splashed across the media.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

" The happiness of every one of these individuals has nothing to do with where they went to school or what advantages or disadvantages they've had. "

So you believe people who have a spouse in jail, or are unemployed, are every bit as happy as people pursuing occupations/professions they love that provide security and a comfortable life style? Right, that's utter nonsense.

The number one source of marital discord (from what I've heard since forever)? Money problems. Oh, but I guess marital discord doesn't affect happiness? Sure, there are people with solid credentials who are underemployed. Some even unemployed. For them, their educational background advantages are trumped by their personal choices.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

People are always ver quick to use the old saw, “Money doesn’t buy happiness”. That may be somewhat true, but I can promise you that money can make unhappiness a whole lot easier.

I was devastated losing my husband to prostate cancer. He was only 54 and I was not yet 61. But due to money (not vast riches, but enough to live comfortably), I was not going to lose my house or my way of living. I knew all too well that many would have have been in dire straits - no husband! No money, and the loss of pretty much everything. Money didn’t replace my husband, but at least I didn’t lose my entire life.

Just go talk to families staying at a Ronald McDonald House. Those who can afford to stay with their very ill child are far happier than those who must go back home all week as they must work, only being with a possibly dying child on the weekends.

eld6161 thanked Anglophilia
  • Feathers11
    5 years ago

We can each find examples of anecdotal evidence of happiness with regard to wealth. Latch onto whichever one supports yours.

eld6161 thanked Feathers11
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

(Edited to improve language)

Yes, my comments arise from anecdotal experiences but my experiences are consistent in this regard, as I believe most other peoples' are. I think your comments are fanciful.

That's pretty funny in a thread where the discussion, in part, was about honesty.

• User
    5 years ago

Lori Laughlin (sorry if I spelled her name wrong) was fired from her Hallmark show, putting 100's of job in jeopardy on set in Vancouver BC.

eld6161 thanked User
  • ljk1
    5 years ago

Would it have been better if Lori Loughlin’s daughter had known about her parent’s bribe to get her into college or for her to find about it while on a USC official’s yacht. I don’t know.

eld6161 thanked ljk1
  • diane_nj 6b/7a
    5 years ago

Loughlin has also been fired by Netflix for Fuller House.

eld6161 thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think that Loughlin's daughters both knew. They posed for the fake crew pictures.

We haven't heard anything about the Huffman/Macy daughter.

What is really sad is that Olivia Jade had a "legitimate" social media business as an influencer and had products featured in Sephora.

She didn't want to go to college. She would have been better off just doing what she was doing.

The daughter withdrew from school.

I read that many of their friends are distancing themselves. It was said that they were not part of a crime, they are the crime.

I wonder if Huffman, Loughlin knew about each other?

Loughlin's husband is a fashion designer. I wonder how this will effect his business?

Mossimo Giannulli has a net worth of $80 million.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

"..... What is really sad is that Olivia Jade.......

eld6161, was this the little stuck-up you know what who said she was interested in parties and game days but not classes? Any kid of mine talking like that would be banished from the family kingdom. I can't wish enough bad things for someone with an attitude like that, and the same for parents who produced that. What an embarrassment and poor excuse for a young lady.

I saw an article that some were leaving USC because of fear of "bullying". I think this was her too, are you frigging kidding me with a comment like that?

• eld6161
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Elmer, sad for the whole situation.

Sorry, but I don't feel anger at these young adults.

Wishing bad things? Take a deep breath here.......

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

Being from the LA area and having known a lot of show business phonies there and much of the same but in the tech world of Silicon Valley, I don't have patience for people who are full of themselves and have attitudes of entitlement. None. No deep breathing is necessary, it's familiar but no less intolerable.

eld6161 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • maddielee
    5 years ago

When Olivia Jade made her comments about not caring to go to school it was August 2018. Before she started school. One thing that is not getting the same kind of coverage is that within a few days (after her followers told her off) she did apologize for her comments.

”“I said something super ignorant and stupid, basically," Olivia Jade said in the video,titled “I’m Sorry,” before adding: “I’m really disappointed in myself."

Just thought some people may have missed that fact.

eld6161 thanked maddielee
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

That's gotten common, the translation is "I'm sorry there was a negative reaction to what I said".

• terilyn
    5 years ago

As y’all know, I am a huge When Calls the Heart fan, went to Vancouver last fall for their weekend. I am extremely disappointed and outraged by everyone involved. Lori’s actions have impacted so many others that have families to support. Her movie series has been shut down, the show, that has already been filmed has been suspended from the network. Her children knew exactly what was going on, they were cc’d in emails approving the fake pictures. I am so sad for all of the other cast and crews of her projects that are out of work because of her actions.

eld6161 thanked terilyn
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Exactly, Teri.

• arcy_gw
    5 years ago

Those were my thoughts about the residuals of "Full House" that is no longer being played on Netflix. Sooo selfish. Even if they all sued her--there isn't enough money. This entire "influencer" phenom makes me ILL. I work with teens, I have heard their immature ooooing and awwwing over the ridiculous posts these types put out on the WWW. Such a load of drivel and ostentatious garbage!!! What a ridiculous world we live in.

eld6161 thanked arcy_gw
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    5 years ago

I have never been a follower of those Hallmark series or Loughlin's other work, but I would think that the story should be strong enough to withstand a change of cast or an alteration of the storyline. Both have been done successfully.

eld6161 thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I agree Rhizo. (BTW, how are you doing?)

I don't follow those shows and had no idea that she was actively working and hada huge fan base.

That said, people can be replaced. It's interesting that they usually write something in, or "kill" the character off etc. Why not just replace her? Why does it have to be a sister or friend? This is all make believe for goodness sake.

• sjerin
    5 years ago

You are right on the money as to what "sorry" often means, uttered by a famous person/people, Elmer. The other one is "I made a mistake" in place of what should have been an abject apology.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

As popularized by Bill Clinton during the Monica Lewinsky matter, when he said, maybe not in these exact words, "I'm very sorry". There was no doubt that this utterance was not an expression of personal contrition but rather what he was saying was "I'm very sorry I was caught".

• Elizabeth
    5 years ago

They might as well just say that they are sorry that they hurt themselves and their careers. That is what they really feel badly about.

eld6161 thanked Elizabeth
  • Elizabeth
    5 years ago

I think the celebrities will suffer job loss and money loss but as far as consequences go I imagine they will get probation. White collar crime...public not in danger.

It is a shame they hurt so many others who counted on their jobs, paychecks or residuals. ( Basis for lawsuits? )

eld6161 thanked Elizabeth
  • maddielee
    5 years ago

Interesting. I’m wondering if anyone else says they are sorry because they realize they made a mistake or have offended/hurt another person. I know I have.

Maybe well known people are never allowed to make mistakes?

I find the whole “Varsity Blues” scandal to be very sad. Even sadder is that it’s not surprising.

eld6161 thanked maddielee
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

"Maybe well known people are never allowed to make mistakes?"

For me, you've misstated and maybe even missed the issue. Reread my comment re Bill Clinton just a few up from here. THAT is what's going on.

Add in, "not only did my unlawful behavior of bribery and tax evasion (that I did willfully and in full knowledge of possible consequences) get caught with embarrassing and expensive consequences I need to face, I may have killed my glamorous career too. I'm truly sorry"

• ladypat1
    5 years ago

What did they tell their kids? " Darlin' you are just dumber than a box of rocks, but we're gonna send lots of money to get you into college." (Pats child on head and smiles).

eld6161 thanked ladypat1
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I can't understand this. You are in cahoots cheating with your child.

• graywings123
    5 years ago

There are opinion pieces coming out now about how these actors can come back from this over time, as the public is fairly forgiving.

How are the #metoo men doing? O'Reilly? Matt Lauer? Garrison Keillor?

eld6161 thanked graywings123
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    5 years ago

O'Reilly is involved in some sort of programming. The other two, no.

I read a few of the article, Gray. I am not so sure. There are so many equally talented actors, why hire tainted?

The daughter, Olivia, is through with her career as an influencer. She had a good thing going. Who is going to believe a cheater?

• graywings123
    5 years ago

You think Olivia's influencer career is over? I don't know. Maybe the subgroup that follows her doesn't care about this. Time will tell.

• Feathers11
    5 years ago

Yes, I think the children of this scandal will be fine, because this whole spectacle is being perceived as conjured up by desperate parents willing to pay for something their kids may or may not even want.

eld6161 thanked Feathers11
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    5 years ago

However, Loughlin's DD's were in on it. But, who knows how all this works? Maybe Olivia can still make money directly from her fan base?

• arcy_gw
    5 years ago

I am going to surmise those influenced by the likes of Olivia are not at all in the same galaxy where lying/cheating/false impressions are a thing to be concerned about.

• graywings123
    5 years ago

That is probably too broad a statement to make about all young followers, Arcy.

The corporations who supported her have departed. So maybe we watch for her to put out her own line of makeup? Sold exclusively on-line?

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

I agree with arcy. The brainless young people paying attention to morons like her are probably a lost cause anyway. Those influenced by mindless, superficial fluff from show biz or otherwise wealthy princess brats missed the right kind of parenting at important times. Or, maybe indeed their parents are similarly afflicted as voyeurs of people who are "famous because of being famous" but otherwise devoid of substance, like the K family, etc.

• kadefol
    5 years ago

This is an interesting story straight from Olivia Jade's mouth:

He has a really crazy story in college,” the YouTube star, 19, said in an interview on the Zach Sang Show
    on Friday, March 8. “He, like, built his whole entire brand [Mossimo
    Supply Co.] and he wasn’t actually, like, ever … enrolled in college.”

Olivia continued: “But he, like, faked his way through it and then he
    started his whole business with tuition money that his parents thought
    [was] going to college. That’s, like, such a different time. I don’t
    know if I was supposed to say that, but it’s OK.”

Mossimo Giannulli ‘Faked His Way Through’ College

Now granted, due to his business acumen he is a very rich man, but he lied to his parents and apparently thought that was perfectly fine.

eld6161 thanked kadefol
Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz