SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstxx

...and the beet(s) go on

bbstx
5 years ago

Cookbook club time again. Cooking beets again, but for a salad this time. Here are the beets that I bought. The golf ball is for scale. Look! I got some with their tops on. To my untrained eye, the tops look pretty fresh.

The recipe doesn’t dictate how they are cooked, so I’m roasting them. The instructions I found online called for cooking wrapped individually in foil for an hour at 400 degrees. Send good cooking vibes my way. If these don’t work out, I’m going to give up on beets!!

Comments (34)

• chloebud
    5 years ago

Beautiful! Roasting them would be my choice, too. There are various ways to roast them. What you mentioned will work nicely. Love roasted beets!

bbstx thanked chloebud
  • plllog
    5 years ago

bbstx thanked plllog
  • Related Discussions

First W/S Bloom...and the winner is....

Q

Comments (6)
    Congrats! I think the weather may have finally straightened itself out, so I'm sure there will be plenty to follow before long. Alyssum was my first bloom as well. Next were fenugreek and one tomato plant, if those kinds of plants count. I also have one nasturtium plant flowering. One borage plant has some buds, but not blooming just yet. By the looks of the rest of my sprouts, it will be a while until I see much else.
    ...See More

Are you starting any seeds yet?and info ?'s

Q

Comments (8)
    Kathy, I too have a heat mat. I agree, they are handy. Sometimes but not often I start seed on it. Mostly I use it for cuttings. Either way, I do not think you need to get the little greenhouse kit. I just do my seeding in old 4" cups and put them in a flat. Then I tie some dry cleaning plastic over it until it germinates. Then I remove the plastic and spray with water regularly. But most of the time I just use the plastic baggie tent method to start cuttings with the bottom heat. I have some camellia cuttings from PINS rooted and growing now, thanks to the mat. Buford, look on the list of forums and find the winter sowing forum. You may try winter sowing to start your seeds. Some seeds also do better here sown directly in the ground in the fall or winter. They germinate way too early (or germinate in the cold, and grow their leaves then) for winter sowing. GGG
    ...See More

What Color Blue in Lyfia's Top Pic? And, other Blue MBR ?'s

Q

Comments (7)
    sadiesmom I love that blue in the room too. Even if you are told what the color is on the wall, it will not be the same IRL. Between the lighting of the room, the camera and your monitor there are too many distortions to the color. Your best bet is to try to find color swatches that match what you see on your monitor. Or you can print it and hopefully it will print close to what you see and that can be taken to the paint store for a color match. Sky
    ...See More

S.L. Magazine came and...

Q

Comments (12)
    We are really pumped up about it. Rayna I will check it out and see. I am glad all worked out ! Rosie , how about Hawaiian Sea Bass...and hibiscus flower icecream for desert that was 2 of the choices last night...with you could come by :). Thank you for the cheers. c
    ...See More
  • plllog
    5 years ago

Those look like nice beets. I've never cooked them in foil but that sounds like as good a method as any. They should be fine. And since you're roasting, if they're not tender enough you can just put them back in the oven. It's like a potato--the tip of a sharp knife should slide in easily.

What kind of salad? Beet salad? Or green salad with beets? Something else?

bbstx thanked plllog
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    5 years ago

plllog, thanks for the Good Vibes! My kitchen currently looks like a crime scene!

The salad is from Everyday Dorie. There are several variation on the recipe. The one I’m making is salad greens with roasted beets dressed with a white wine vinaigrette that has tiny amounts of honey, harissa paste, and minced ginger.

The main recipe seemed to be more of an entree salad: beets, quinoa, Greek yogurt, on a bed of endive with the same vinaigrette. Because it is a multi-course luncheon (cocktails and appetizer, soup, salad, entree with side, and dessert, and including wine and bread with the main meal) I opted for the simpler version.

I am also making the appetizer this month. The woman responsible for it is ill. She was hospitalized with the flu and is very weak still. I am making “Spoonable Ricotta,” which is basically ricotta flavored with lemon and herbs, a drizzle of EVOO, and served with toasted banquettes.

• l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

Sounds similar to the roasted beets Syrian style I do from the Moosewood soup and salad cookbook. I usually end up caving and throwing on feta cheese and toasted sunflower seeds which is my cheaper sub for pine nuts. I almost always par boil beets now before roasting. They seem to ALWAYS take forever to get done.

bbstx thanked l pinkmountain
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

bbstx, Dorie Greenspan is a good resource. I have roasted beets in foil...works just fine.

bbstx thanked chloebud
  • plllog
    5 years ago

That dressing sounds terrific! I'll have to remember that.

As a salad, I like the sound of the simpler one too. The other sounds like something to do to a bowl of quinoa to make it into lunch, which probably tastes good, but a whap! of flavors.

An aside: I don't often cook quinoa. I'm wondering what it would be like if one dressed it with that sweet/harisa/ginger vinaigrette and let it soak in for an extended time?

bbstx thanked plllog
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    5 years ago

lpink, I picked up some chèvre. I’m thinking of passing it for anyone who wants to add it to their salad.

We are cooking from Everyday Dorie this year. This is only our second month into the cookbook. So far, everyone seems pleased.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I only have two recipes that use quinoa. One is Quinoa and Kale Minestrone. The other is tabbouleh made with quinoa instead of bulgur wheat (I also make tabbouleh with riced cauliflower). And I only make those when DD is coming for a visit. It is something I just don’t think to buy or cook.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 years ago

I love roasted beets! I toss mine, cut into wedges, with olive oil, then sprinkle with fresh lime juice when done.

bbstx thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Feathers11
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I love roasted beets, too. My grandmother used to pickle and can beets, and I've never found anything close to resembling hers. And I don't can, so, I prefer to roast them.

Save the greens, too. I chop, blanch, and then freeze to add to soups.

ETA just looked up harissa paste... it's going on my grocery list!

bbstx thanked Feathers11
  • lascatx
    5 years ago

We roasted beets in foil last year but this year DH roasted them on a parchment lined rimmed baking sheet -- no wrapping and no foil. I don't know if the beets we are getting this year are the same variety (same farmer and CSA) or if the open roasting makes a difference, but they have been incredible. We have eaten what we can and put up a number of jars. We've used some of the greens, but I didn't know . you could blanch and freeze them. I think we are done for this year, but I will remember that next year -- they were so fresh and pretty I would like to use them all. Thanks, Feathers!

bbstx thanked lascatx
  • annie1992
    5 years ago

bbstyx, I'm sending good vibes. Those golden beets actually look a lot like the beets I just picked up at my local grocery. One was bigger than the others and took a little longer, but they became tender and were mild, very nice. The red beets sans tops just didn't look very good here so I passed on those.

Beet greens are one of my favorite leafy greens, I always chop them to add to soup or cook them as greens, there's usually just enough for Elery and I.

Your salad recipe sounds interesting, I'll be watching to see how it all turns out. Stay tuned for another episode of "Beets vs. bbstyx", LOL.

Annie

bbstx thanked annie1992
  • Islay Corbel
    5 years ago

Lovely too with orange segments and walnuts with a simple vinaigrette. Oranges are a lovely fresh compliment to the earthy taste of beetroot.

bbstx thanked Islay Corbel
  • plllog
    5 years ago

Lascatx, that's the way I roast them, too. I think it was probably the quality of the beets, unless you think you were picking up a taste of the foil. I roast just about anything that way, with the parchment and rimmed baking sheet (usually the ones that are fitted to my oven). Have you tried charred? Maybe not so healthy, but totally yummy.

Bbstx, here's a whole page of good cooking vibes for you. Extra for taking on the double duty.

bbstx thanked plllog
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    5 years ago

HA! Love the page of good cooking vibes! I need it.

There are no instructions in Everyday Dorie for cooking beets. However, Around My French Table has “beets: four ways to cook them.” The four ways are steam, roast, boil, and microwave. “Roasting” calls for putting the beets in a pan with a couple of tablespoons of water, cover the pan with foil, cut a vent in the foil, and roast at 425 for 30 to 60 minutes depending on the size of the beets. That sure makes better sense than using all the aluminum foil I used last night!

If I were to follow those instructions, would I roast the red beets and the golden beets separatel? Seems like the reds might discolor the goldens if they were all cooked in the same pan.

I’ll try to post photos of the salad and the appetizer later today.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 years ago

I slice them into wedges and toss w/ a couple tbs. of oil and sprinkle with a bit of salt, then roast @ 400F for about 40 minutes.

I use the enamelled bottom of a broiler pan for roasting lots of things, which makes for a nice bit of char, and is nonstick.

And I loved beets cooked with orange juice concentrate as a kid, so much so, I used to make them for myself as a snack = )

Haven't prepared them that way in years, though now I'm thinking I should...

• bbstx
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, guys! The good vibes worked!!!

The Spoonable Ricotta was a hit. It calls for a mix of herbs. I used curly parsley, flat parsley, cilantro, dill, basil, and thyme.

Because we had so much food, we made the salads rather small. Everyone enjoyed them. The white wine vinaigrette with harissa and honey was really good with the beets.

• plllog
    5 years ago

Both dishes look fab! As one who had a weird lunch, I'm kind of drooling. Glad to know that the dressing was as good as it sounds. What did the other members make?

Your book's "roasted" sounds more steamed to me. I do it more like Carolb, either whole or cut depending on the size of the beets, and whether I've peeled them or expect to pull the skins once they're hot and just slip off. Even if I"m not peeling them, I'll clean them up and remove the whiskers, give them a thin film of light olive oil to help them caramelize rather than char, and just lay them out on the parchment. They're usually going into another dish so I don't season, just roast.

bbstx thanked plllog
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The cocktail was a mango daiquiri, beautifully garnished. It was not from Everyday Dorie.

Bean and Tortilla Soup had a fresher flavor than most tortilla soups.

Bourbon Roasted Pork Loin with Acorn Squash Wedges. The pork loin was cooked with apples and onions, whole grain mustard, honey, and srirach. It was delicious.

This Apple Custard Crisp was divine! The ice cream was not homemade, but it was high quality. As Ina says, “store bought is fine.”

In addition to preparing the recipe as written, we do not double recipes. When we first started our group, we would double or triple the recipe to make enough for everyone to have a “serving.” We were all going home miserable. Now we just have smaller servings, and still go home plenty satisfied.

• annie1992
    5 years ago

bbstyx, that all looks delicious, and the dishes are very pretty, I like those.

I think it's a good idea to just have small servings, I love a bite of this and a bite of that, it's such a nice variety that way and there's still room for dessert!

Annie

bbstx thanked annie1992
  • lascatx
    5 years ago

Looks like plenty of good food to set the stage for a good time together.

In case anyone is looking for another salad recipe for beets, we've made this one a couple of times and love it -- as written (either raw or roasted beets), with oranges added, on a bed of greens or not, on a bed of greens, orange sections and some grilled chicken and it's a complete meal. My picky sone even liked it.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/beet-and-apple-salad-recipe-2104184

bbstx thanked lascatx
  • Islay Corbel
    5 years ago

Looks fantastic!

bbstx thanked Islay Corbel
  • agmss15
    5 years ago

That all looks fabulously delicious.

One of my favorite beet salads is beets, pomegranate and toasted walnuts. I tend to use a light vinaigrette on it but that isn’t traditional. A family friend - who introduced me to this salad - was originally from the Caucuses. He just dresses with olive oil.

And like Annie I love beet greens. Maybe more than the beets. Don’t waste the greens.

bbstx thanked agmss15
  • Feathers11
    5 years ago

Your beet dishes look fantastic, and that pork loin sounds divine...

bbstx thanked Feathers11
  • chloebud
    5 years ago

Nicely done, bbstx!

bbstx thanked chloebud
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is the recipe for the Bourbon Roasted Pork Loin. I made it on New Year’s Day and substituted something else for the sriracha. If you make the dish, buy the sriracha! It made all the difference in the world.

• plllog
    5 years ago

Thank-you! I can see why you put so much effort into this club. With everybody holding up their ends it makes a mighty fine spread. Thanks for the pictures, too.

bbstx thanked plllog
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 years ago

YUM!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

Wow, that all looks great.

As an aside please don't anyone get suckered in, as I did years ago, to the "roast 'em foil and then you can easily rub the skins off with the crumpled-up foil afterwards," which is a total lie.

bbstx thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • bbstx
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Really? Rub the skins off with the foil? I tried rubbing the skins off with a paper towel (not so good), then I tried using the rubber gloves I was wearing (marginally better), and I ended up using the backside (blunt edge) of a paring knife. Peeling beets is not my favorite activity.

• plllog
    5 years ago

I have occasionally met that nirvana which is the skins shooting right off the beets. It doesn't work where there are depressions around the whiskers, or where it grew around a rock, or whatnot, and some just look blandly back at you and say "What?" in that NE, one of the boys way. I don't know if it has to do with Annie's freshness/moisture content equation or not. If I'm in a hurry, and don't want caramelization, I'll roast them skin on and take what slips off as a bonus. Otherwise, I use a potato peeler on them cold, which is easier but more busy work. I've never heard of using the foil to slough off the skin. In my experience, either the skin comes off without effort, or it's peeler time. :)

bbstx thanked plllog
  • sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    5 years ago

Glad that went well. We love beets. I usually roast in quarters on a parchment lined sheet pan with a couple full heads of garlic. (smaller beets just cut in half for even roasting). Lots of different warm and chilled salad choices.

The greens are super. I grow TallTop just for the greens. They go limp rather quick like chard but will perk up in a bath of cold water. Or chop stems fine and green tops in bunched slices and freeze in a container with some water or stock. (1/2 pint) then can be added to soup later. Or saute with a sliced shallot, add cubed roasted beet for a warm salad...before serving, toasted nuts and zest (orange, lemon, etc), feta or goat, avocado, cucumber. So many choices.

bbstx thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH