SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texas_gem

Parenting bias- were you harder/stricter/ more judgmental of the oldes

Texas_Gem
5 years ago

I've got 4 kids. 4 kids close in age. The age range is 11-6 currently.
My oldest is extraordinarily bright, in the GT program and advanced classes at school, etc.
She reminds me of the knowledge and brain power of a fully intellectual adult trapped in the body of a toddler.
She is SO bright, and SO intelligent, she comprehends things far beyond her capacity, yet she behaves like and interacts with others in a much lower basal scale.
It's like her intellect is extraordinarily high but her social skills are at close to zero. She has basically no friends, she is socially awkward, she will talk non-stop about a topic that interests her but she can't seem to comprehend any basic social ques, be part of a social group with give and take, etc
I have tried to help her cope/adjust/learn social skills but frankly, I'm also socially awkward and always have been as well.
Lately, I've become aware of just how differently I seem to treat her vs. the others and I can't help but wonder if part of her skill deficit is BECAUSE of me.
She seems more like me than any of the others and it scares me. I don't WANT her to be like me, I WANT her to learn how to make friends and interact with others, to actually build a social circle.
I'm afraid that I'm making the problem worse. I so desperately don't want her to be like me, I'm afraid that I'm actually turning her into me accidentally. I catch myself being much harder, expecting more, etc from her than I do her sisters.
I've always joked about how hard it must be to be the first born because you ARE the experiment, the trial run.
This is no joke though.
Did you ever notice yourself being harder on/treating your first born differently, expecting more from your oldest?
What did you do about it? Any tips??

Comments (33)