SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gildash24

Appropriate Screws & # for Wall Cabinet Install

gildash24
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have laminate custom cabinets (material is TFL from uniboard) w/ 3/4" thick back. Wall cabinets are 12" deep, 36" tall, plus 2" crown molding making it to the top of the ceiling. The designer and GC insisted that using four, 2.5" long #8 drywall screws (course thread, sharp point, #2phillips drive) per cabinet (so two screws on top corners and two screws on bottom corners) should be more than safe (of note, all the adjacent cabinets are also screwed to each other using 1.25" long #8 drywall screws as well). The studs in the building are metal but the kitchen has 2x4 wood blocking attached to these metal studs behind the drywall. Right now, the upper 2 screws on the wall cabinets are sitting on this 2x4 wood, about 9-10'' down from the top surface of the cabinet. The lower 2 screws are 3-4" up from the bottom surface of the cabinet again on another 2x4 wood blocking. I have two questions: 1) is 2.5" long #8 drywall screw an appropriate screw (if I have calculated right they are only penetrating the wood blocking 1.25" given that the cabinet back is 3/4" thick and drywall is another 1/2"). 2) should I ask the GC to add 2 more screws on the top of cabinet, making the total anchorage points 4 instead of 2? (i.e. 4 screws on the top, 2 on the bottom for a total of 6 per cabinet)

P.S. this was not a gut renovation project so wall was not opened. I simply replaced the old cabinets w/ new ones. Old cabinets were shorter and less heavy.

Comments (22)