SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calhobbes21

Small border backsplash. Under or around the window?

Ricky Mattle
5 years ago

We are about to start our total kitchen remodel. Tear out is in a couple of weeks. The range (switching to a 30" induction) is moving over to the the wall to the left of the windows, and a proper outdoor vented hood will be installed.

All upper cabinets will be taken out. They are mostly empty since we have ample other storage, plus I'm short so it's silly to have them when I can only reach the bottom shelf.

The bottom cabinets and counter will be extended about 2 feet to the left to about where the light switch is located. The sink is moving to the left to be centered on the window and so the dishwasher will also slide over. The fridge is on the right side, out of the pic.

The island countertop is going to be custom made out of walnut by a local guy. The 'L' counter will most likely be white quartz.

My dilemma is that I don't want a backsplash. No kids in the house, we aren't messy cooks. Before we moved to this house, I had 3" tile backing and painted walls with no issues. Every person involved in this project has given me a bit of side eye like I'm crazy that I don't want 2 walls full of tile.

The range and sink do need a little something of course, so I was thinking a simple 6" border out of the same material as the counter, but that butts up right up to the bottom on the window trim and I think it will look bad, like a design flaw that we noticed too late. Standard 4" seems weird since there would be a small gap, between the counter and window, plus it's one more ledge to clean.

Do I make it taller and have it wrap around the window a few inches (but not as tall as it is currently)? What would be an appropriate height? My other concern is if it will seem like a lot of white.

Thoughts? Musings?

Comments (2)