SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mlb418

Kitchen layout options

mlb418
5 years ago

We have what one poster called "the weird thing of the week" when I posted previously for advice. See our (very messy) kitchen with the soon to be removed stone column:

After some exploratory holes and commencing work on the bathroom above our kitchen, we have confirmed that we will be able to remove this crazy column from our kitchen. I have posted before about advice for how to design around this column, but now we get to figure out how to layout the kitchen without the column! It's a small kitchen, and so dysfunctional now that anything we do is going to be an improvement. The wall that you see in the pictures/layouts cannot move, and the stairs to the basement are on the other side of it. The front door opens into this room, and it is where we eat - both casual family meals and holiday meals with extended family (we have a collapsible table we use for larger dinners). We use a banquette with a round table, which is what you see in the layout photos. We do not care to have seating at the peninsula.

We know we want to move the refrigerator (and we will also switch to a counter depth) and move the range and hood to the back wall. I don't think there is any good way to do that without losing the window that is in first picture. We are debating between leaving the sink where it is under the window or moving it to the peninsula. We've come up with three potential layouts, and I'd love comments on them. These are rough layouts that I did in the Ikea planner. Yes, we are working with a professional, and two of the layouts are actually hers, but I wanted to see them in 3D and be able to play around a bit.

Layout #1 - keep the sink where it is and have a large prep area on the peninsula

Layout #2 - move the sink to the peninsula. I am leaning toward moving the sink and dishwasher, as I think it leads to a more functional layout. A little wary though because we are messy!

Layout #3 - a variation of number 2, where we move the wall oven away from the refrigerator. I like the idea of breaking up the tall cabinets and I think it is better function for both the refrigerator and oven to have a counter/landing space right next to it. I think I would put some shelving in the open space on the wall as that area is right across from the dishwasher and would make for easy emptying.

So those are the options we are faced with. Which would you pick? Any option we or the designer missed?

Comments (15)