SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
richfield95

Please critique our kitchen layout options

richfield95
8 years ago

We are in the process of reorganizing our kitchen into a more functional layout. Our current layout is rather awkward; even though it has a ton of cabinets and counter space, the convenient prep areas are pretty small. I'd probably just live with it, but there is no vent over the range and I don't want to go through the hassle of installing one and leave the current layout.

Our current layout:

Our load bearing walls, chimneys, basement stairs and cathedral ceilings in the living room really limit our options (within a reasonable budget). We're also re-using our existing cabinets, so the gaps in the corners are where we need to extend existing cabinet boxes to fill that space.

The easiest option we came up with is option 1:

I couldn't figure out how to show it in the Ikea kitchen planner, but both peninsulas have pony walls that are 6"-12" higher than the counter.

The floor plan would be:

The opening from the kitchen into the dining room would look something like this:

But, that's also what you would see when you walked in the front door and I don't know if that's weird?

The second option creates a much more open floor plan, but is a TON more work (and money), and we're not sure if it's worth it. Again, there would be a pony wall 6" to 12" higher than the kitchen island to separate the space, probably with no seating:

We're inclined to choose the first, simple option. The second option would be great if we were building from scratch, but we're not sure if all the extra work is worth it. So, I'm really hoping to get some input, both on what design is best, then a little input on what we can do to make the chosen layout the best use of space. Thank you!!

Comments (16)