SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Fitness Floof! Who's fibbin?

amylou321
5 years ago

Most of you know that I committed to a 10,000 step a day goal in order to improve my health.

I use a fitbit, which syncs to my company's wellness program. I get points which i can redeem for gift cards.

I also use the Map My Walk app, to amuse myself with the pictures i draw. I really have way too much fun with that.

My phone came with an app, Samsung health, that automatically counts the steps i take when i have the phone on me. I don't really pay attention to that one. The same app allows me to measure my heart rate and O2 saturation, and I do that for fun sometimes.

Anyway....

I always walk with my phone, because i transfer my office phone to my cell and listen to YouTube or Christmas music through the Bluetooth headset while i walk.

The issue is, I have noticed a discrepancy between the 3. Take today, for example. When I got done with my 10000 steps around 2 am, fitbit said that i had gotten 10000 steps, 4.3 miles.

Map My Walk said that i has 11,768 steps, 5.7 miles.

Samsung Health said 9223 steps, 4 miles even.

Other days, Samsung health will be identical to fitbit. Others, there will be a 1000-2500 step difference between the three. How does THAT happen?

To get 10000 steps starting from zero ALWAYS takes me between 85-90 minutes to get. (that is minutes actually moving you know. I sometimes have to stop frequently for work duties. So if i start at midnight, right when my fitbit resets, i may be done at 1:25 or it may take until 3 am.)

I am inclined to believe the Fitbit for the step count, and Map my walk for the distance measurement. I do not know why. I have no logic behind that, other than Map My Walk uses GPS to track you and draw those funny pictures. But i know that is not an infallible technology. Nothing is I suppose. I have googled this phenomenon with no real answer as to which one is more accurate.

I will say that this doesn't really BOTHER me, in the sense that I rely on this data to be accurate in order to eat/ exercise a certain way. I just thought it was odd.

Does anyone else use a fitness tracker of any kind? How accurate do you think is it? Do you rely on the info being accurate or do you use it as a rough guide, or like i do, for funsies and a way to get freebies from amazon???

Comments (17)