SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

My declining 19 year old cat

3katz4me
5 years ago

has for the first time in her life become an extreme lap cat. I wonder what that means - hopefully not that the end is coming soon. Has anyone ever had this behavioral change with an old cat?

She is in slow decline from kidney disease and eats very little at a time so we try to feed her every time she comes by her dish which could be 20+ times a day. She won't eat kidney friendly food and doesn't like wet food but she is eating canned for the most part. If she stands at her dish and refuses to eat the wet then she gets a few nuggets of dry. She is still pretty active - plays with toys and runs up the stairs but is quite thin and a little unsteady sometimes. I also think she seems a little confused at times. I recently started giving her 1/4 t Miralax as she had signs of constipation and that situation seems to be better.

I had another cat with kidney failure in the past who got SubQ fluids for two years and he was just a champ about that. My current cat can be a bit of an ornery prima donna and I cannot imagine her tolerating SubQ - she certainly didn't when we tried to do it when she became dehydrated during a hunger strike some years back. I dread the thought of it getting to that stage though I suppose it's likely. She doesn't have any other known health issues that might strike her down sooner. Ugghhh....

Comments (21)