SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_kollar

Bump out bedroom with roof already in place

Chris Kollar
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello Houzzer's,

I seem to have a hard time finding information on my particular situation- I have an 11ft long bedroom that has the potential of expanding approximately 5ft outward where a small outdoor patio area is. In addition, the flat roof already extends to cover this patio area, leaving me to believe that the overall cost will be much lower than a traditional bump-out or full on addition. The wall is 11ft long and includes a large window that I would like to keep and I would like to push this wall out 5 ft to the large support beam near the end of the roof off the side of the home.

My question is, given that the concrete slab on the patio is likely not part of the foundation, what would be involved in terms of extending this wall out? All I seem to find online are 'Room additions' where an entire room is added to a house, or 'cantilevered' bump out. I cannot seem to find any information on simply extending a wall under an existing roofline that is already set up and ready to go. As you can see from the photos, it appears as though part of the concrete slab would need to be removed, foundation would need to be poured, walls put in, proper flooring, ceiling/insulation below the existing roof, some minor electrical re-routes and other things. Theres no water lines or HVAC vents to worry about.

I am not at all an expert but know how to build and tear things down... and my gut tells me that after getting proper permitting that this could be done moderately easily by myself and another skilled contractor who knows what they're doing to manage the project and make sure everything done right. The home is 1242 sq. ft so an addition of 50-60sq ft. would make a big difference in terms of adding space for a flex-use office/bedroom. Any insights into what this might cost?

The first image shows the 11ft wall with window that extends from the rear of the house (back yard area) up to the rear door area (approx right side of fridge)

Second image shows another angle of how I envision the wall to be extended.

Comments (5)