SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_147531418

Chair rail too close to light switch

Maria S
5 years ago

Hello all! First time posting on this forum.

I recently had a team install beadboard in my bathroom. I purchased the chair rail to go with the beadboard, but I bought the wrong kind. The kind I bought was flat on the back instead of the type that has a notch on the back to fit over the beadboard. I wish the contractor would've spoken to me about it before installing, but it was also my fault for not getting the right product.

The contractor installed the chair rail about 2cm. overtop the beadboard, and when it is flush with the wall above, the bottom juts out from the beadboard about a cm. You don't notice this except at the corners. The mitered corners match at the top and there's a huge gap at the bottom.

See pic:

So I want to have it redone. I'm going to purchase the correct type of chair rail this time, but I just noticed that if I move the chair rail up several centimeters, it will cut into my light switches.

See pic:

Ah! What should I do?

Redo the chair rail and just figure out how to cut out the chair rail around the light switches? Leave it? Move the light switches?

Advice is appreciated.

Comments (31)