SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jiyoo82

Need help w recessed lights - remodel lights vs putting in the joist?

S Y
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I would like some guidance if anyone is familiar with recessed lights. I got some quotes for recessed lights in the living room. One was double the cost of the other. The expensive electrician said, make sure you ask whoever you choose if they are using remodel can lights vs. putting them all the way in the joist. I said, oh I know they were using remodel lights, thinking it't normal since this is a remodel. He told me that if you put remodel can lights, you're basically letting it sit on your ceiling and it will sag over time, and that's why he always cuts up more dry wall and put the lights all the way in the joist. I asked him if I could replace the lights when they sag and he said no.

So my question, if you've added recessed lights in your homes, how common is using remodel recessed lights vs. cutting open your ceiling and installing recessed lights in the joist? I know some people who's added recessed lights in, and I assume all of them were talking about remodel recessed lights since I heard no mess, small holes, etc. Are remodel recessed lights bad for your home? How common is it for them to sag? I'm not sure who to go with now! Any insight would be much appreciated. Link is of the remodel recessed light the less expense electrician would use. remodel recessed light

Comments (5)