SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cisco2000

Recessed lighting w/contact w/ insulated ducting

cisco2000
15 years ago

Hi Folks,

I'm in the process of a minor kitchen remodel and plan to installed recessed lighting for general lighting. This will replace a rather massive fluorescent tube construct (~5'x7' framed out, rocked, crown-molded unit with 6 - 48" tubes and way too much light). While the room is about 11'x15', the effective space requiring general lighting is closer to 9'x13'. I am planning on installing four 6" incandescent cans, roughly at the four corners of where the old fluorescent unit was located. The issue and question: The ideal locations for a couple of the fixtures will put them in direct and hard (read squeezed a bit against the fixture) side contact with a flexible HVAC duct. The duct is insulated and covered with a paper-backed foil material. Is this an acceptable application for an IC fixture? I contacted Halo on this and they thought it okay but would appreciate opinions from some of the experts posting here. Should I install a some sort of thermal shield between the fixture and the duct and, if so, can you recommend a material to use as the baffle? Hardy board? LED units are an option too...do they throw off sufficiently less heat to make the duct contact a non-issue? At this stage, I have full access to the installation space to do whatever is necessary to make it "right". Relocating the vent fed by the duct in question is possible, not desirable. Plan "C" is for six 5" cans in different spaces yielding a very busy ceiling that already has three HVAC vents, two of which I'd probably opt to relocate into the vaulted breakfast area to de-busy (where they should have been installed originally by the builder!!!!).

Thanks in advance for any help here!

Regards - Joe in Houston

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville