SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis_ma

Orion Passes Over the Rainbow Bridge

artemis_ma
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

The silver cat to the right. An American curl.

Oct 1, 2006 - Feb 18, 2019

He's the youngest of the three (by a couple of weeks).

Friday he seemed slow to come to the food, but he got there. Saturday he didn't show up to eat, but instead was sitting off to the side in the basement, looking alert. but when I came back from feeding / watering the chickens, he was standing near the food, so I presumed he'd been eating. I was out of town the rest of the day.

Sunday I didn't find him when I fed the others, when I came back from the kitchen he was lying in a corner of the basement (they get fed in the basement, water is available as you see in the photo both up and downstairs). He was breathing, but the way he was lying there concerned me. Went upstairs to put the eggs away, then back down... he hadn't moved, not even his tail.

I called the vet and asked for an emergency appointment. I couldn't wait until the facility officially opened at noon.

He always loathed being picked up, normally I have to trick him (with food) into a small dog carrier, and I actually brought down paper towels and bandaids in case I'd need them after getting him into the carrier. He barely resisted. That's when I really got scared.

The emergency on call vet ran bloodwork and an x-ray on him. X-ray was normal, bloodwork showed very elevated WBCs. We put him on IV and antibiotics overnight.

This morning, we talked. They said he was worse, if it could be worse.

I had him put to sleep.

Bye, dear silvery Orion. May you gambol among the stars for which you were named.

Comments (81)