SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noni_morrison

Another Rainbow Bridge crossing

Noni Morrison
15 years ago

This weekend we lost our big brown dog, our dearly loved Corie-Boy. The naughty dogs jumped out the guest room window when we were all busy with the family all home, and we did not miss them until dog walking time. Only later figured it out. Anyhow, the little bratty beagle came home at midnight. Corie usually was dead tired within two hours, so tired he was unable to get up to even get a drink until he had rested a while....but this time he did not come. I called the vets office, and the Pet-Protector people, and they told me to call the county animal control people. Well, I AM pretty sure that he was the "brown male lab mix dog (Actually a chocolate flat coat with a docked tail) at 240th and -- in the unincorporated county...We live on 248th, and he was found, already deceased on Sunday morning.

I knew that the end would come soon for him, and that is why I ordered my Gordon Setter puppy. Corie was 13 1/2, and starting to have trouble getting his back legs up steps from the yard.I knew that a time would come this year when we would have to make that last visit to the vets office...COrie took matters in his own hands and took himself off on a last great adventure. I do not know whether he was hit or whether his old heart just gave out, but now I know he did not suffer for long, and is not waiting for us to find him. I will miss him...my big brown teddy bear of a dog, with the sweetest disposition and severe "seperation anxiety", from his Mama!

It looks like we will make a trip to pick up Josie this weekend...on to a new chapter in our life with dogs. And my son Zach arrives home in 2 days and can take over care of his little beagle, while I devote my dog time to Miss Josie.

She will inherit the indoor kennel that we bought for our first Gordie, (I kept trying to buy one for her but could not figure out were to put another in the house...weird!) And so, like a beautiful flower, Corie is just a memory and some photographs now, and the new "flower" is growing and ready to come in and bloom with us. We love our flowers. We love our pets. THey fade and make room for new loves in our lives, but they leave such beautiful memories. I wish I could have told him goodbye.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
More Discussions