SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_270556395

Rubber Plant Woes :(

V K
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi All,

Our ficus elastica has been shedding its lower leaves since January, and now the yellowing/shedding is moving up into its mid-section. It seems like all leaves are at risk!

We live in an apartment in Germany, so it's relatively chilly and there is not a lot of natural sunlight. The plant sits by a window because this is the only place it can absorb whatever sunlight there is (usually not much...!), but it may be a little bit draft-y by the window. The apartment is heated and comfortable, so we don't think it's too cold for the plant. That said, we have no idea what else may be the issue :(

I water the plant twice a month (during the winter months--Nov. thru now) (about 1 liter/34 oz tap water left to sit for a day or more due to calk concentrations in Berlin's tap water) (is this enough water??). The plant sits in a pot with holes/drainage...

I'm a novice indoor gardener and don't know what to do... When the plant first started shedding (in December), I looked up reasons for shedding and tried the following to halt it:

-increased watering (from twice/month to once a week)

-decreased watering (let it go for three weeks without water)

-fertilizing (since it is still winter here, instead of giving it a full dose, we gave it a half dose of fertilizer)

-moving it to a sunnier spot (its lower leaves were drooping-->we read this might be due to a lack of sunlight)

None of this seemed to help.

I also had a "mealybug scare"--thinking the plant had bugs, I disinfected it using rubbing alcohol and water mixture. I followed instructions on how to safely disinfect pretty closely, so I don't think this affected it adversely... It started shedding more rapidly about a month after the "mealybug scare."

One other thing to note is that the plant has some spindly roots growing out of its pot (you can see this in one of the pictures I'm attaching). Is this a sign that there's overcrowding and we should replant it in a bigger pot?

Please let us know if you have any idea what may be happening to our Ficus (Fergus is his name!). We love him & can't stand to see him lose all his leaves!

-VK

Comments (11)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor