SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

FOR PEOPLE WHO LIKE/USE SCENTS ONLY!!! I BEG YOU!

amylou321
5 years ago

Which ones do you like/dislike? I mentioned on another post how as a side hustle type thing, i make and sell scented wax cubes, candles and sprays to the truck drivers at work. I also mentioned at the wide range of preferences people have. It is amazing. My top seller is one i call "Fruity-Licious" ( a play on bootylicious) which is fruit punch scented. A close second is black ice, which is a spicy, manly scent that comes in those little black Christmas trees people put in their cars. They are thrilled that they can buy it in candle, spray, or cube form. Third, one I call "Chocoholic" (named after myself:) ) Honeydew is quickly moving up. Completely different scents. Its interesting.

Despite having over 40 scents, i do still get requests for others, which i do fulfill if i can. Most of them have their wives call me, because they don't know what it is that smells so good in their own home(eye roll, bless their hearts) or sometimes scentsy or walmart or wherever else will have discontinued their favorite and want me to recreate it, or more often, they want their wives favorite bath and body works scent in cube or candle form. I also have gotten some....unusual requests. Beer and beef jerky among them(yes i did make them, peppered beef jerky to be exact) The only one i couldn't find was for a driver whose wife apparently LOVES the smell of new tires and tire stores. While I could find things like burning rubber, i couldn't get new tire smell. I am still looking though. Racing fuel was another one. I did manage that one. Last night, I was able to inform a driver that not only could i make Forever Red (BBW) into a candle, but contrary to what he and his wife thought, you CAN still buy that scent from BBW. They stopped selling it in the store, and they were unaware that you can still buy it from their website. I pulled it up on my phone to show him. He promptly called his wife, who was delighted.

Me, I prefer fruity or clean, fresh scents.Whether to wear or to use in cube or candle form. Occasionally i like a sweet scent like chocolate or vanilla(though i don't MAKE vanilla stuff, its hard to find a fragrance oil that smells good when mixed with the wax). SO likes coconut and pine for the house, in addition to the stuff i like. I dislike really spicy or floral scents. I do carry them though. In fact, probably half of what i do make is stuff i wouldn't use.

For those that do like to such things, what kinds do you like? Do you use different scents from what you like to wear in your home or car? Is there a scent you wish were more available?

Comments (67)

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    5 years ago

Ha ha, no. It doesn’t smell anything like baby powder to me. Thankfully. It’s pretty much the only plant our family can agree on. My husband likes the dreaded Bradford pear smell, my daughter’s and I find it disgusting for example. So I would go for a smell like this for the home or towels we all use. Or maybe more on the gender neutral side like my body wash (not that the plant smells really feminine)

amylou321 thanked Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
  • User
    5 years ago

I am not a scent person at all but 2 products I go out of my way to order specifically for their scent are Naked Bee orange blossom products and also orange bergamot body wash by Milton Brown. I am partial to orange citrus apparently.

amylou321 thanked User
  • Related Discussions

To think, I used to make fun of people who used fake flowers....

Q

Comments (13)
    If you were to type in artificial flowers in the GJ search bar, you would most likely find several postings where we've all had this same discussion. Personally, for me, I use artificial flowers on my front porch for a variety of reasons...I mix them with the real ones to add more colors since annuals tend to like full sun and my porch is shady. I also use them because my four cats and two very large possums rule my front porch, so the fake ones can take more of a beating than the real ones and because I can move them and bend them at will. They add a pop of color and since I have so many real gardens to tend, it allows me to spend more time there and still make sure my front porch looks inviting. Your porch looks great! And with a new little one to take care of, it's an even better idea. Love your color choices and all of your pots, etc. And....we've all made comments of other people's stuff and later had to eat those words, so don't feel too bad about that! Great job and very creative too!
    ...See More

Sometimes I think we must be the only people on the planet

Q

Comments (14)
    Probably not low-cal but I love a happens-to-be-vegetarian dish at a restaurant we sometimes visit. I think it's called sesame tofu. It's chunks of fried tofu in a fairly spicy sweet/sour sauce and sesame seeds all over it. Extremely delicious, filling, and usually paired with steamed broccoli (which always bumps into that yummy sauce just before I take a bite.) Wouldn't be hard to make at home, where I would blot the fried chunks on paper towels, or try sautee'ing without the batter/breading. As long as there's a little crunch on the edges, I don't think anything would be lost. If anybody else would eat it with me, I'd try making it this way (if I could find tofu to buy, don't think I've seen any around here.) It's not something I've had often but have never NOT enjoyed it. It doesn't have to be a main dish and I'm sure I would find lots of uses for it.
    ...See More

I beg you! Where can I buy seaweed?

Q

Comments (7)
    Feed stores...go to the yellow pages of the phone book, should be listed under "F" for feed stores I think? Look for stores that cater to chicken, birds, horses and dogs...usually they sell to agriculture or people that have a mini farm or stable. I'm not positive if there's a difference with the Kelp, but I've read great things about the Norwegian brand, so that's why I wanted to try it.
    ...See More

Please help I beg of you tile grout problems

Q

Comments (10)
    Well, I'm going to do something that I've been told over and over not to do ... make an example out of someone... Gibby I share your frustration with installer standards, but the reason it happens is the same reason that you see it happening in this thread. Recap: Poster-1 says that they see a problem with a certain execution in situation A. Expert gives the technical advice he has regularly given and that he has made popular here re: the what-to-dos vs. the what-not-to-dos re: exec of situation-A. At which time, poster-2 says that they are having the exact same problem with the exact same execution in situation-A also and what could be going on? (Er ...). More discourse about why idiot-installers persist with the behaviour that causes problem with situations-A. Poster-2 pops back up saying that they will repeat the behaviour that caused their and other's problem execution in situation-A. Well, if the person(s) most impacted by a poor execution or common executor problem - viz. the homeowner - won't learn, what would motivate the executor to learn???? THEY don't have to live with the problem and if the HO (poster-2) can't be bothered, why should they trouble themselves to be so? Bill, you were remarkably patient in that last response. When I read the previous post, *my* verbal response had a whole load of *F*s in it - from sheer incredulity.
    ...See More
  • marilyn_c
    5 years ago

My favorite scents are antique roses and waterlilies. I have seen various products with waterlily in the name, but they don't really smell like waterlilies. Very impressive what you do, Amy!

amylou321 thanked marilyn_c
  • arkansas girl
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I am always searching for the perfect Patchouli scent. It's weird because when I ask people that make candles and other scented things at the craft shows, they look at me like they have never heard of patchouli...so weird to me! If I could find a great smelling patchouli and not some fake smelling one mixed with some other scent...I would always have it going in my house. I just love the scent that much! Close second would be a great smelling vanilla, not a cookie scent, just vanilla.

amylou321 thanked arkansas girl
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have heard of that and know I could get the fragrance,but I confess no one has ever asked for it so I have never tried it,and dont know what a fake smelling one would smell like. :/ What does it smell like? I know you like diffusers. Maybe you can try my sources for oils. They might have a good one. I mostly use candlemaking.com.

Vanilla is tough for me. The oil smells great in the bottle but has a weird smell when mixed in with the wax. I have tried maybe 8 different vanilla oils from 5 different sources, all the same. So i just gave up.

ETA: I just checked. They do have it in an essential oil. It has good reviews but again,I cant really attest to its virtues.

• Chi
    5 years ago

I love scents. I used to have a huge perfume collection but I don't use them anymore after researching ingredients. I'm trying to build a more natural set but they are so expensive and it seems silly to buy fragrances that I can't smell first.

I like light, floral or fruity scents. Old favorite perfumes were Chanel Chance Eau Tendre (the pink one) and Lancome Miracle, which was my signature scent during college.

amylou321 thanked Chi
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The only actual perfume I have is vera wang princess. SO bought it for me because its pink and comes in a heart shaped bottle, both weaknesses of mine. I like it and I wear it occasionally. I tend to stick to just scented lotions in the colder months when my skin gets dry. In the hotter more humid months when I dont need lotion I like lighter sprays such as from Bath and Body works. Last count I had over 60 different scents from there. SO has quite an impressive collection of colognes as well.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    5 years ago

I prefer 'clean' scents like lavender and I usually sniff and like melted wax scents that have the words water, rain or beach in the name. I bet that isn't helpful at all :-)

amylou321 thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sure it is! I named my coconut candle and cubes "Beachy Keen." (Its actually copper coconut from bath and body works) I had a cube that I made using a "sex on the beach" fragrance. I named it tropical tryst. It was not popular. :(

To be fair, I didn't like it either.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

The banana Magnolia flower when closed in bud form looks like a banana. It doesn't smell like a banana. But it is a lovely scent.

amylou321 thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • User
    5 years ago

Happy, Beach , Amazing Grace and Kensie are the four perfumes I LOVE. Orange, sea/sand, clean and sexy are the words I would use for each, to describe them. My mom loves her Patchouli. That one is her signature scent. My kids always know when grandma sends a letter/package, it smells like her.

amylou321 thanked User
  • arkansas girl
    5 years ago

amylou, next time you go to a health food store or whole foods etc, find the display of essential oils and smell the patchouli. I think it's a love or hate smell. It's an earthy smell with a bit of pine like smell mixed in. It is often associated with the old Hippy shops from the 70s. It doesn't smell like incense though.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

I too like warm spicy, earthy scents like raven's list. Almost to a tee. Do you know what I catch myself smelling just to smell it (although it makes a great dirt bomb (Sol's duffins)), cardamom. It's a kitchen/cooking spice, and I've never seen it in anything fragrance oriented. I wish! Son loves it too.

P.S. the link is two of my favorite cooking forum participants, LoriJean and Sol thumper

amylou321 thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • impatien
    5 years ago

I would really like to find a strong-smelling peppermint candle or wax melts.

amylou321 thanked impatien
  • ritaweeda
    5 years ago

I had to reel back on body scents, DH has COPD. I used to wear Opium and still like the scent but it can be overwhelming, impossible for DH to tolerate. I never used it for everyday - only for special. Now for every day I prefer a clean scent that reminds one of clean fresh breezes or Spring rain for scented body washes and shampoo, etc. - just can't do the perfumes or colognes anymore. I can spend a long time in the shops sniffing all kinds of scented soaps - especially love the ones from Italy and France. Awhile back I found a Myrrh and Frankincense body wash for when I want a warmer fragrance, but can't find it again. Yes I remember and still like Patchouli and Sandlewood, takes me back to those hippie days. However, I greatly dislike anyone or myself smelling like any kind of food such as vanilla or coconut. Exceptions are citrus or mint. And finally I love Lavender for anything, body spray, soap, air freshener, linen spray, you name it.

amylou321 thanked ritaweeda
  • joann_fl
    5 years ago

I don't like the flowery scents, especially ROSES

amylou321 thanked joann_fl
  • User
    5 years ago

Something clean and fresh . Amylou321 --- The term "my side hustle" just cracked me up !!! I don't know why , but to me it was funny. I'm easily entertained ;)

amylou321 thanked User
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

I don't wear any perfumes or colognes except a very occasional spritz of grapefruit (my DD found me grapefruit body lotion which is good too). Although there are some that I like on other people (like Pleasures) none seemed right on me. Too many people use fragrance too heavily though.

I like very few in candles or melts. I do like the pine/fir/cedar category in winter. I like apple - plain apple, not apple pie or apple cider or apple spice etc. - and it is hard to find. Green tea & lemon when neither component is overwhelming (artificial lemon almost never smells good to me). I used to buy "American Harvest" from Crabtree & Evelyn, also Noel from time to time. I can take pumpkin spice or eucalyptus in small doses, and also honeysuckle when it really smells like fresh honeysuckle (most don't). (Eucalyptus reminds me of walking under large trees on a hot day - just the scent made me feel 10 degrees cooler!)

If someone could produce the scent of fresh quince fruit -- ahh that would be lovely! I love the way the house smells when I am making membrillo!

Nearly all B&BW products are too strongly and unpleasantly scented for me, and I avoid their shops.

I had a great hand cream from The Body Shop but the scent was so disgusting I could barely force myself to use it up -- I did because it was a great cream -- hemp.

My late ex's cologne made me swoon -- 35 years ago -- Coty Musk

amylou321 thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    5 years ago

If it helps, Walmart has a Better Homes and Garden Cube called sweet apple something. Its green. It is pure apple, no cinnamon or any other spice. I use them in my warmer,as I like plain apple as well. I have made plain apple ones for fall before. But the ones at Walmart are cheaper than mine so if people can get them there for cheaper I usually dont make the scent. The only thing is they are tiny so you may have to use 2 in your warmer instead of one.

• Ava
    5 years ago

Like the scent of lavender that smells like the plant. Years ago I had some oil that I have not been able to find, fresh eucylptus. Would love to find that one.

amylou321 thanked Ava
  • Feathers11
    5 years ago

I'm surprised that viburnum scent (from like the Korean spice viburnum bush blossoms) isn't available. It's my favorite scent in the spring, and just a clip or two of the blossom brought indoors can fill a room. I tend toward citrus scents and don't care for florals, but if I would love a viburnum scent.

Arkansas girl, I have Zum Mist patchouli spray and love it. I found it in a local shop years ago, and it had an orange label. Now, it's this at Target, but I haven't tried this new packaging to see if it's the same formula as what I had.

amylou321 thanked Feathers11
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    5 years ago

impatien, I make peppermint cubes for Christmas and for my mom year round. I find that there are lots of peppermint scented cubes and candles around christmastime. Mine are named "Christmas Present" as in "ghost of". Part of my Scrooge collection.

• maifleur01
    5 years ago

Feathers the maker Indigo Wild is a local company of your spray. Since they use natural ingredients the sprays will vary from year to year as they use up the supply of the oils used. I use their rosemary mint and one year it was just not the same. I recently purchased a new bottle and it is not as strong as in some years.

amylou321 thanked maifleur01
  • ritaweeda
    5 years ago

Is there such a thing as essential oil made from the old fashioned garden plant "Four O' Clocks"? That is one of the most wonderful fragrances, also the fragrance of the "Tea Olive" bush is divine. Also known as "Sweet Olive".

amylou321 thanked ritaweeda
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    5 years ago

http://www.duranceshop.com/fragrances/parfum-eau-de-toilette-cosmetiques-eternelles/four-o-clock-flower-with-four-o-clock-flower-from-nicaragua.html

Not an essential oil but i found some other scented products....I have never ordered from them and I dont know what that flower smells like but it's a start...

• amylou321
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I googled "tea sweet olive essential oil" and got lots of results.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

I have no idea why it didn't hit me until just now, but when I read "I googled", I thought why not google cardamom oil. It exists?! Thanks for jogging my mind! My shower oil is almost done and I would love to add this to the next batch.

amylou321 thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I actually meant to research that for you rob but it slipped my mind. Along with many other things I'm sure. I do remember that I have never seen it offered as a FRAGRANCE oil that I have seen. But again I never looked. :/

• impatien
    5 years ago

Amylou, I’d love to buy some of the peppermint wax cubes from you. Do you have a website?

amylou321 thanked impatien
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    5 years ago

No I don't. I don't sell over the internet, as I find it hard to keep up as it is. :(

I have created an aromatic monster.....

I tried to message you but you dont have it enabled. If you turn your messages on and message me your address, I'll send you a pack on me. :o)

• highdesertowl
    5 years ago

So fun to read through everyone's likes/dislikes. My favorite scents are herbal mint, citrus, cinnamon, and cedar--depending on the seasons. I don't do well at all, even may get nauseous at the scent of rosemary or lavender. Then I read that historically, rosemary and lavender were used to ward off evil spirits, soooo that gave me something to think about :)

amylou321 thanked highdesertowl
  • share_oh
    5 years ago

My husband LOVES scents! We have several candles and warmers throughout the house. I buy the melts from WM all the time - we like trying new scents. I always gravitate to the baking type ones it seems - buttercream is a favorite, cherry pie, apple pie, cinnamon anything... we like the sweet smells more than the outdoor type stuff like pine, etc.

My favorite perfume to wear is Avon's Imari. I rarely wear it though, not a big scents person myself.

amylou321 thanked share_oh
  • Dolly
    5 years ago

Orange blossoms and gardenia in bloom.

amylou321 thanked Dolly
  • arkansas girl
    5 years ago

I just thought of a scent that I do not like, it's those scented pine cones they bring out around the holidays. Those make me nauseated feeling.

• lucillle
    4 years ago

I bought some wax today, I'm going to try to make some wax melts. Amylou, and advice?

I rarely open my windows, so am fairly sure that my choice of having scent in my home should not affect my neighbors.

amylou321 thanked lucillle
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What kind of wax? The type you use for the melts is different than the kind one would use for candles. As long as you have the right type of wax and fragrance,the process itself is fairly easy. You can learn the step by step all over the internet. That's how I first learned. Have fun! I mix fragrances sometimes to experiment and have found some wonderful combinations. (And some not so wonderful ones) The ones I make for my own use I pour into small silicone molds instead of the plastic clamshell things that I use for the ones I sell. I keep them in sealed jars. For those who love scents (like me!) learning to make your own ends up saving a lot of money in the end. Plus there is the advantage of making whatever scent you want. That is actually what started me making them. Walmart and Scentsy kept discontinuing my favorites so i started making my own. Then when I would use them at work other people wanted to buy them off of me. Then people started asking for sprays for their trucks. Then I was asked to make some candles. Before I knew it,I had a whole side hustle going on! Beware Lucille. If your neighbors catch wind of it, you could be very busy melting wax indeed......

• lucillle
    4 years ago

Just mixing up some for myself, am going to store them in Mason jars with the plastic screw tops. I bought some ice cube trays that are silicon to pour the wax into.

I admire your hustle but the neighbors will have to learn to make melts themselves if they like the idea. Or maybe this will be another step building your wax melt empire and you can ship to Texas to my neighbors, lol.

• amylou321
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Not me! I can barely keep up as it is! It's a one person operation,you see, unless you count SO carrying in my heavy shipments of wax and jars for me as labor...

• MrsM
    4 years ago

I like citrus scents. I would love a candle or tart that smells like an actual fresh lemon! I have found something as close to that as possible at Amazon. I forget the maker's name but it's a soy candle that's labeled Limoncello. It's fat and in a jar. I might be crazy, but what I do is scrape out little pieces every other day or so and burn in my tart holders. There's no soot escaping to the ceiling or walls (I don't care what you say-even soy candles leave a little residue.) It smells delicious. When it's burned off all the smell after a few days, I scrape it all out and start over. Sounds like a hassle but it's not. Anyway, I just cannot find a scent like it in any of the stores or even Yankee Candle.

amylou321 thanked MrsM
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I admit I haven't had luck with lemon scents but at one time I had a grapefruit melt that was dead on! But no one that i sell to really likes citrus ones i guess. It took a full year to sell 7 packs of them. So i don't make them anymore. One of my top sellers is kumquat. Very bright and fresh! People buy them as soon as I can make them.

Oh, and I dont use soy wax. Its picky AND tricky so I don't fool with it.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

It is funny that this thread popped up again today - I have several fresh quince sitting on the kitchen counter and the whole downstairs smells so lovely - and I thought of this thread! Still wishing there were a way to capture that scent.

amylou321 thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • share_oh
    4 years ago

And you've given me an idea of something to make for dh for Christmas! The tricky part will be trying to hide the smell from him as I'm making it! lol I will just have to tell him not to ask any questions. I'll be internet searching for how to make them. Thanks for bringing this thread up again. : )

amylou321 thanked share_oh
  • lucillle
    4 years ago

Not me! I can barely keep up as it is! It's a one person operation,you see, unless you count SO carrying in my heavy shipments of wax and jars for me as labor...

As I recall. there is a guy named Jeff Bezos who was exactly like you some years ago, he was selling stuff but he got to the point where it was hard keeping up. So he expanded a little, hired some help:)

• bob_cville
    4 years ago

> The only two perfumes that I wear are by Guerlain. They are L'Huere
    Bleu and L'Instant de Guerlain. Other than that, we don't have scents
    in our house or cars.

My wife's six-greats grandfather started the Guerlain Perfume Company. Neither her father nor grandfather had any association with the company, but for a long time (before LVMH bought the company) only family members could own stock in the company.

amylou321 thanked bob_cville
  • Elizabeth
    4 years ago

Lars, by Nina Ricci perfume are you referring to their fragrance L'air du Temps? I haven't thought of that fragrance in decades. Loved it in the 80's and wore it exclusively. Although it was labeled as being from Paris, it was a subsidiary of Shulton Inc, in NJ. They did have an office in Paris which made it OK to label it that way.

amylou321 thanked Elizabeth
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    4 years ago

At my old business(a kennel) I used scent in various ways. I kept it super clean as a smelly kennel will turn customers away in a heartbeat. I did use those plug in scent things from Bath & Bodyworks. I loved the Eucalyptus Mint for the kennel training room. My clients always commented on how fresh the place smelled. Then I also planted scent producing plants around, mostly because I liked them, but it ended up being a great thing for the business. I had 2 Daphne Odora in the parking area and clients went nuts when they were in bloom. Then by the training field I had Osmanthus Fragrans. They bloom twice a year and clients apparently still remember the scent. One of my former clients(who became a friend) called me just last week. She moved into a new house and was on her deck and smelled a blooming Osmanthus. She told me “I flashed back to training on the field at Wolfbrook!” If someone could replicate either of those scents I’d buy it.

amylou321 thanked Annette Holbrook(z7a)
  • Elizabeth
    4 years ago

I discreetly place oil of peppermint in a silk flower arrangement in my bathroom. People comment on my nice smelling bathroom. Like toothpaste!

amylou321 thanked Elizabeth
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    4 years ago

I had forgotten about this thread. I mentioned my love of the banana Magnolia and how I wanted one. I am now the proud owner of a lovely banana Magnolia tree. I had it planted in direct view of my large bedroom window and close enough to smell it when in bloom! I am so happy to finally have one. I will definitely take pictures when it blooms.

amylou321 thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    4 years ago

raven, I saw earlier that you didn't think that the M. figo smelled like bananas. I agree with you, but the flowers smell just like banana popsicles to me, lol. Yummy

amylou321 thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • Sooz
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I do love a good clove and cinnamon fragrance. I also love the stuff that smells like fresh cotton or clean laundry that's been dried in the sun, or smells salty and cool like the Pacific.

One of my favorite candles still has a good throw, lit or not (I light it about once a year in the Great Big Room)-- it's Amber by Votivo. The candle is about ten years old, I keep it unlit on my nightstand and every once in a while, I catch a whiff of it.

Decades ago, I found an awesome candle that smelled just like an old fashioned carnation but that company went out of business.

amylou321 thanked Sooz