SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_104094925

LM Flooring major defects, warranty support remains unclear

Anonymous Anonymous
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

In July 2018 we had LM Flooring San Carlos Acacia Castano engineered hardwood flooring installed in our home by a local flooring contractor. The contractor installed 2,700 square feet of flooring plus a staircase including landing.

As soon as it was installed, it was apparent there were several dozen serious defects in the flooring. There are two kinds of defects. The most serious defect involves voids in the plywood underneath the top acacia layer, I'm guessing as a result of knots in the top plywood layer that fell out during manufacturing and were left as voids, and the top layer was simply glued over the voids. This means the top layer is unsupported, and since it's very thin, it flexes downward and is prone to breakage. The less serious, but still problematic, defect involves the top layer cracking and peeling away. This chipping means that people wearing socks have accidentally caught splinters of wood in their socks and chipped the flooring in two spots so far, though thankfully so far no one has had one of these splinters penetrate their feet.

I asked our installer to file a warranty claim shortly after installation was completed, which he eventually did, and in September 2018 a regional distributor visited to assess the defects. The distributor seemed to agree with my assessment, but warned me it could be a number of weeks before he was able to confirm a warranty response from the company.

It is now February 2019, a full five months after the warranty claim was filed, and I have not been able to get a response from either the distributor or the installer. In August 2018 I corresponded with LM Flooring's representatives via Houzz, and they were very responsive, so I'm hoping my posting here will lead to a constructive response.

Even if LM Flooring eventually honors their warranty, I still have some significant concerns. Upstairs the installer nailed the flooring down on top of a high-end cork and foam underlayment, which seems to make a significant difference in foot impact noise. As I understand the repair process, it involves cutting out defective boards and then gluing in replacement boards. This would seem to be incompatible with preserving the noise reduction qualities of the underlayment install we chose. And more generally, given the many defects in the installed flooring, I am concerned that additional defects will emerge over time.

I will update this post if and when LM Flooring and/or the distributor and/or the installer engage constructively.

Comments (12)