SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Anyone have glaucoma?

Rudebekia
5 years ago

I was diagnosed about 8 years ago with a rare form of glaucoma in one eye--pigment dispersion glaucoma. At that time I had a sudden huge spike in pressure. It came completely out of the blue and I thought I had food poisoning or the flu as I got enormously sick in a small amount of time. I've been on eye drops since then with no repeat. Until last week. This time I had the same big spike in pressure but I did not get ill; my eye just got a little red. I had a bad head cold at the same time so thought it was just part of the upper respiratory stuff. Finally went to the eye doc when the red was not going away and found that, yes, the pressure had spiked. I'm on new drops now (Lumigan) and go back next week for another check.

What has me scared is the fact that there are little to no warning signs about this. Despite repeated questions to the eye doc, I still have no answer on how I'm supposed to know this has occurred. He just repeats that I have to be super sensitive to when something is "off" with the eye. I often get sinus pressure and am also susceptible to migraines, so my head/sinus/eye area often doesn't feel 100%!

Just wondering if anyone here has glaucoma and how you cope. Why isn't there some kind of pressure monitor we could do at home?

Comments (3)