SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maifleur01

Diffusers? Can you use them or not?

maifleur01
5 years ago

Raye Smith brought up a point on the other diffuser topic and was shot down for even mentioning that some can not be around a diffuser. I happen to be one of those people who have a problem with several of the essential oils that are used in most of them. Fragrance oils also but even the pure lavender will make my chest tighten. Clary Sage is even worse. I have used essential oils since the 1970's and some I can use others cause chest and nasal problems immediately. Do you have problems being in an area with a diffuser? Is it anything added to the mist or just certain oils.

Comments (38)

• Bookwoman
    5 years ago

I don't have any sort of medical reaction, I just really dislike the smell of 99% of oils, air fresheners, scented candles, etc. And of course with some products you're breathing in all the VOCs.

• Related Discussions

Why do greenhouse use diffused light?

Q

Comments (9)
    tapla, well said. In Florida, almost no one uses glass due to the hurricane building codes. WHen we were considering attaching a greenhouse structure to our home that would have encompassed the swimming pool, we were of course concerned with the aesthetic appearance (ie we didn't want a utilitarian corrugated Lexan addition, LOL) so we explored with a few different contractors the possibility of using glass. For us in the Northern portion of the state, the hurricane danger used to be considered not as bad as that in the lower part of the state, but now the building codes have moved to become more standardized over the entire state and any new structure must have a wind resistance rating of at least 120 mph. Also, since it would have been attached to the home and used as a "habitation area" for people, specifications called for special tempered glass for safety codes. It would have been so expensive we just couldn't do it. I have single thickness corrugated Lexan on my greenhouse. When I built it, I was offered a choice of clear or opaque glazing, or a mixture of the two. It DOES come in OPAQUE. The opaque has the appearance of a frosted light bulb. It offers about a 60-65% light transmission. The company who built my greenhouse for me recommended the opaque to be used on my roof, because I have a 20 foot ceiling and it would be difficult for me to utilize shade cloth up there on a 1750 sq ft structure if I found that the clear offered too much light. They also recommended using the opaque on the Eastern exposure. They recommended it due to the intense sun and heat here in Florida in summer. I still have the sample of it, if you have never seen the opaque Lexan up there in MI I can snap a photo of it for you. Maybe its a Florida thing? But I didn't like the look of it so I chose the clear glazing for the entire greenhouse. I am glad I did because after 5 years I do have some hazing, and dirt buildup on the roof from leaf drop etc. I use a pressure cleaner to keep the walls clean (twice a year)
    ...See More

Animals - you can't live with them-you can't live without them

Q

Comments (36)
    Thanks again all: Boa is doing much better. She is eating like a horse, but still doesn't want to be left alone. I can't believe the difference in her since I stopped the antibiotics. She demands food now, and her catmilk. Her and Bear got into their first fisticuffs in a long time when I was taking too long to get the food in the dish. She got a huge dish of whipped cream yesterday (her favorite) and didn't leave a smidgen in the bowl for Apache to finish. She is back on the tapazole now for the hyperthyroidism and doesn't even know it's in her food. I am breathing a sigh of relief. I know nothing can live forever, but I can hope. Think she will be with us for a while longer. Praise God for answering my prayers. Jenny
    ...See More

diffuser to use with 14' sauteuse

Q

Comments (3)
    The large burner linked below will take care of about a three foot Big Honking Pan. Fourteen feet is a lot, though. Usually when you get into that range, people just cook over an outdoor wood fire, as linked in the next post... Here is a link that might be useful: Paella burners
    ...See More

Saving threads so you can find them later or so you have them (an

Q

Comments (5)
    For those on an iPad, you can also take a screen capture, or picture of what is currently displaying in your screen, by pressing the Home and Power buttons briefly at the same time. You will hear a sound like a camera taking a picture, and your screen image will appear in your Photos.
    ...See More
  • marilyn_c
    5 years ago

I don't have a diffuser or candles, but I am not sensitive to fragrances. I don't wear perfume, but it doesn't bother me to smell it on other people. I like to smell fragrances. There are some things I don't like to smell....like cigarettes and bad body odor and bad breath. And as a wildlife rehabber, the worst smell in the world is maggots.

• Chi
    5 years ago

I don't have a reaction to them, but I dislike them in some cases. I work for a start up so it's 8 of us in a small room, and one girl used to bring her diffuser and used eucalyptus and lemon and all of these terrible odors in a confined space. Luckily she was let go. I tried complaining but everyone else enjoyed it or didn't mind it so I was outnumbered.

• User
    5 years ago

Ah, so there's another Raye out there cause I posted about having compassion for those that suffer allergic reactions in another post. I also saw other posters supporting that they too have suffered strong reactions to perfume and how lovely it would be for them to not suffer needlessly.

Here's a great, informative website about it:

http://thinkbeforeyoustink.com/home.php

• arcy_gw
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The Facilities Engineer at our school system says they are on the list of not allowed. I assume this is an OSHA regulation. That's good enough for me to not inhale chemicals into my lungs.

• maifleur01
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Interesting that someone can not post something concerning a topic that contains a warning for some and not be blasted about staying on topic. Being concerned about others health with a valid issue being posted should never be blasted. I noticed I was blasted for even starting this topic. If you disagree say so but to chide another poster because they disagree is not couth.

• kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

I have a reaction to scents. Simply can’t breathe! It has made me avoid many places and people.

I love the think before you stink website! Have printed out their fliers and hung them in a few places.

It‘s sad when I can‘t even go to church anymore. Or go to a play, movie or grandkids programs.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    5 years ago

I occasionally use a wax melt 'thingy' that my niece bought me in my office. Partylite. DH will watch sports in here and who'd have guessed but he will remark on different (subtle) scents - remark favorably.

I don't use them anywhere else in my house. Rarely does a scent really bother me, but I don't need them either. I've stopped wearing perfume other than once in a blue moon, not daily any longer. Boucheron discontinuing my very favorite played into that, am hoarding my last bottle. & I'm outdoors so much, the last thing I need is to be attracting bugs.

When having my chimney professionally cleaned once, I found the service person had used some kind of scent in it that smelled like fresh bubble gum. Bad. And, it lasted about a week!

I can sneeze in the detergents or garden products (chemicals) aisles in stores ;0)

And, I did have a theater experience completely ruined once by a cloying overpowering scent on the woman in front of me. Every time she would move or adjust her coat, a new wave of scent. Whatever it was - something that leaves one tasting it in the back of the throat, that kind of scent.

• User
    5 years ago

Kathy, thanks for putting out those fliers! I need to get some of their bumper-stickers.

I hope your able to listen or watch sermons at home.

I see this issue as a parallel to the issue of smoking in the late 70's. People knew it was bad for them but they insisted it was an imposition to ban smoking in public places. Now we see it as normal to not allow smoking.

Mai, thanks - sorry A is giving you flak, it's unfortunate that some people aren't taught compassion for others. (At first I misread your post and though you were giving me a hard time, please forgive me that my post above may have sounded snarky)

• maifleur01
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Snark away. I have been on the receiving end most of my life. An interesting side of the diffuser issue is that while many of the users do not have breathing problems many will have at least one person in their household that has asthma and they have never made a connection. While some people with asthma can be helped breathing certain things it is the overload that sends people to the ER.

• Lars
    5 years ago

I cannot use them - I am very sensitive to fragrances. Some people are super-smellers and some are not. My brother is not sensitive at all and cannot smell a lot of the orchids that I grow that I think have distinct fragrances. Fortunately, I'm not allergic to orchids, but I am allergic to many flowers. I especially object to fragrances in detergents. I found that certain DW detergents leave a fragrance on the dishes that makes the food taste off.

I was expecting this to be about diffusers used with lighting, and yes, I do use those.

• User
    5 years ago

Amy, I have a friend that took (a gentler) version of your attitude toward her sisters fragrance allergy. Now the friend is significantly more allergic than the sister.

Be just as selfish, inconsiderate and ugly (tells us a lot about your personality) as you want but remember that one day you too could be the one that suffers from a perfume allergy.

• amylou321
    5 years ago

If I do,then i won't wear it. I won't expect everyone else on the planet to bow down and change their habits for me.

Talk about selfish.

You never answered me. Whats the verdict on the whole dog thing? I mean the guy will be here in a couple days....

• maifleur01
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lars this is about any type of diffuser even if the other topic was about the mist type.

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

Cool mist diffusers that use essential oil don’t bother me. The scents we have used, which are few, seem a little strong at first but then relax after a few minutes.

I guess I am a super-smeller. I don’t call it an allergy. Certain scents give me the beginnings of a headache. Diesel fumes are one. Strong perfumes of a certain type (I have no idea what particular brand or scent) can be a trigger. My throat can also get a little scratchy with certain scents. I just move away. The only exception is our large Christmas Choral group. Every year the director and staff have to remind new people, and some old members, that we are a ‘choir with no scents’. And then there are the people with cigarette odor, body odor and such. Ewww!

• joyfulguy
    5 years ago

The village church, as do many, requests that visitors not use fragrances, and many establishments, especially medically-related ones, have signs saying that theirs is a fragrance-free location.

There's been some complaining about many schools banning peanuts, but quite a lot of backlash, detailing risk of even death and asking for empathy.

ole joyful

• Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
    5 years ago

I personally don’t have a diffuser and don’t spray any fragrances around in my home (except when that mouse or whatever died in the wall and it stank). I am afraid it would bother my dogs. What other people are doing in their houses is none of my business though. Going out in public is a different matter. While I do like some after shave/ perfume smells, the overly sweet and flowery ones give me a headache. I would not want to sit in an airplane for hours next to this.

• User
    5 years ago

Amy, so you want to talk about your selfishness.. that's off topic - why don't you start a different post for that? As for the animal allergies, animals don't cause cancer like the toxic brew in perfumes.

From Scientific American and several other sources: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/toxic-perfumes-and-colognes/

https://www.ewg.org/enviroblog/2014/08/expert-panel-confirms-fragrance-ingredient-can-cause-cancer

https://www.bcpp.org/resource/fragrance/

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

I find artificial scents and fragrances hideous and horribly off-putting. My nose gets congested and in a restaurant, I lose my sense of taste. In my region, perfume and scented indoor areas are even less welcome than tobacco smoke (which itself is completely unwelcome) and people are long past being polite when confronted with a bothersome situation. I've moved tables in a restaurant (with the concurrence of the table server, of course) when a stinky person is seated nearby.

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

I can’t stand those scent misters in public bathrooms that seem to squirt off some unpleasant scent right after you enter a stall. Ugh! It’s as if someone sprayed perfume on you without your permission! I don’t use them in my home and don’t want them elsewhere either.

• yeonassky
    5 years ago

I can use diffusers with essential oil like peppermint or lavender and a carrier oil. Peppermint helps with my migraines on the back of my neck. Breathing it in also helps me become more alert if I have to drive later in the evening than normal for example.

I can wear a little bit of perfume but I put very little and it's really only for my pleasure. My sister with allergies doesn't react at all to the perfume I wear.

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

I really, really dislikes scents. I can't stand the scentsy's, anything that shoots clouds of stink into the air and all laundry products. I went to a neighbourhood vet to pick up some medication that my regular vet had sent over. The sentsy smell was soooo strong I stood with the door open to breathe some fresh air. All I could think of were all the pets being held hostage to that and being forced to breathe it in.

I get a headache if I'm around strong scents for any length of time. Even something as subtle has vanilla is too strong. Plus it smells artificial anyway.

All of our hospitals have signs all over that they are scent-free facilities and to refrain from wearing scented products. Every single elderly lady that goes wears too much perfume and I move if one sits next to me.

• amylou321
    5 years ago

It is inappropriate for (non fragrance based) businesses to have scentsy or other similar products going if they cater to the public.

It is also inappropriate for doctors, nurses,dentists,caregivers, or other people in professions that require close physical proximity to other people to wear scents. (My dental hygienist wears a scent that I LOVE though, and it beats that dental office smell. But she still shouldn't be wearing it when she has to be so close to patients.)

It is also inappropriate for people to lecture or scold or try to dictate what other people wear on their body in everyday life or use in their own home. Or try to guilt them out of using something they enjoy. Especially strangers. If someone is wearing a scent that you dont like,move as Elmer as Jasdip do.

Scent preference is so personal. I dislike heavy floral or spicy fragrances,so I dont wear them or use them at home. If someone is near me that wears one if those scents that I dislike, I find it so easy to just put some distance between myself and them. Same thing if someone reeks with BO or cigarette smoke. Or if the dog poots in the room and runs out. (Sammy's MO,rest his heart) Nothing to start a riot over.

Since I started making and selling scented wax cubes and candles, I am amazed at the differences people have in scent preferences. I have 42 different scents and am always getting requests for others. I still cant believe how popular my Vicks vapor rub scented cube is. To each their own.

• nicole___
    5 years ago

I purchased one. Making a house smell like home baked apple pie rents it or sells it on the spot. I buy scented candles instead now.....the diffuser lasted a week.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

What's done in one's home normally bothers no one, other than visitors who dislike scents.

It is disrespectful selfishness and self-absorption for someone to wear a fragrance when they know they'll be in close quarters with other people. Examples of such inappropriate situations include airplanes and trains, theaters, restaurants, elevators, and many other similar places, etc.. And as discussed in the other thread, many people can't assess the pungency of what they use and put on too much. Or put it on just before leaving home, which is just before walking into the restaurant.

Neither I nor anyone else should need to move a seat in a restaurant or other place because of someone being so disrespectful to others. On a plane, one is stuck but I've seen situations where understanding flight attendants have assisted passengers to relocate from their assigned seats.

• amylou321
    5 years ago

Your problem. Your solution. You dont have to move seats. You can suffer through. Its selfish to want the whole world to change for your tastes.

• User
    5 years ago

No, it's selfish for another person to expect me to breath in their cancer-causing perfume. What about no smoking in public places don't you understand? Same concept - breathing in carcinogens/same solution - don't wear (smoke) carcinogens.

I prefer not to expose myself to carcinogens except on occasions where it is necessary such as dental x-rays. Even when having x-rays the hygienist will place a lead drape over the body and neck area. The problem with perfumes is that the ingredients are considered trade secrets and so the manufacturers are able to not disclose to the public the chemicals in them. All brands or perfume contain some chemicals that are dangerous at any level of exposure.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

"Its (it's) selfish to want the whole world to change for your tastes."

I agree with Raye, you have it backwards.

• User
    5 years ago

Here's a question for Amy to ponder... You have a close relative with a child that has had several episodes of anaphylaxis due to a severe peanut allergy. That relative comes to visit you and brings their child. How will you handle this allergy, will you shove peanuts in his face and laugh as he turns blue?

That's how you are coming across in your posts Amy, insensitive and selfish. Are you sure that's what you are meaning to do?

• amylou321
    5 years ago

Raye,I am still waiting on the dog verdict from you. I mean, I need to tell SO to dig the holes today. He only has one day off....

And you dont have to breathe anything in. Move. Or you can sit there and cry about how you don't have complete control over other people and their bodies. We are not talking about smoking,so i dont know how that came up. But I do understand it,having been educated in the English language. I also understand how to get up and move if someone is smoking near me. I guess I could cry about how i dont like smoke so everyone who smokes should quit for my benefit. Or I can accommodate myself.

I dont get how you dont understand how absolutely inappropriate it is for you to want to dictate someone elses bodies or what they wear on them. MYOB. If your close enough to me to smell my scented lotion,you're a creep. I wear it for my enjoyment, not to antagonize others. Stop being so dramatic.

But I dont expect you to get it. Criers cry when the whole world doesn't comply with their preferences.

As for the peanut allergy thing, it's the same thing. You cant expect a worldwide peanut ban for your problem. Take care to avoid it. Your problem is not my responsibility.

I have a severe cat allergy. I can't be in a home with cats nor can I be enclosed in a car with them. My eyes swell shut my throat does as well. I don't go to people's homes who have cats in their homes,though I do okay with outside cats,as long as they dont scratch me and cause my skin to swell.I don't expect them to dispose of their pets and have their home professionally cleaned for me to pay a visit. That is selfish. It is not selfish of them to own cats because some people are allergic or don't care for cats.

Should the world be scent free, smoke free, car free, pet free, kid free, nut free...hell FOOD free because so many people have different allergies.... what else???

• amylou321
    5 years ago

If the manufacturers don't have to disclose the ingredients, than how can be sure that what is in them causes cancer? My scented lotions and sprays all have an ingredient list on them, BTW.

Oh, I get it, you don't like them, so its okay to tell people it causes cancer, with no proof, since you don't know what is in them according to you. Please.

Exposure to the sun can cause cancer. Lets block it out. I am a night owl anyway. (is that....selfish?)

• User
    5 years ago

Amy, I can tell, as can everyone, else that you are either very, very young and inexperienced in life or you are extremely immature, I would guess from the immature rambling in your posts that you are in elementary school.

I do hope at some point that someone cares enough about you to teach you about compassion and caring for others, putting the needs of others before your own will be important when you move into teen/adult relationships. I feel so sorry for you that in this early stage of life you have yet to learn how another
    person feels. Compassion usually is displayed in children around the three year old mark but you have confirmed that you're quite delayed in that area. As adults we call this process maturing and your attitude of selfishness is going to make that process difficult.

When you get to high school you will take a course in chemistry, in that course you will learn that college-educated people called Chemists can discover what molecules are in any given solution. They are able to identify the molecules in fragrances that are carcinogenic, I'd name some of them that are mentioned in the above articles but that's past your level of understanding. Good luck finishing elementary school and start thinking of ways that you can care about others.

• amylou321
    5 years ago

Oooo snap. Was that supposed to hurt my feelings? Children think the world centers around them. So do some adults it seems. Get over yourself. It might help you realize that your problems are not everyone elses responsibilty. I can adapt to allow others to enjoy things in life that I dont. If you cant that's your flaw.

Still no decision on the dogs?

• maifleur01
    Original Author
    5 years ago

No it was supposed to make you think about how you are coming across. From your postings you are the only one that matters. It does not make any difference if there is no where to move people are just supposed to have their lungs spasm and die so you can have your way. Sounds drastic but for many with asthma that is what could happen. While you may do what you want in your own household the health of others is more important elsewhere.

• amylou321
    5 years ago

I cant worry about the health and well being of everyone else in the world. Neither can you. Again, are you suggesting a worldwide peanut ban because some people are deathly allergic to them? Should they be classed as a dangerous substance? I do know someone who almost died of a peanut allergy. He does not expect people to cater their eating habits to him. He keeps am EpiPen and is careful. I have never heard of anyone keeling over and dying because someone in a public place wore some apple scented lotion. So dramatic. If someone has asthma THAT severe they should go everywhere prepared with appropriate medications. What about pets? People with pets in their home carry their dander with them. Should there be a great fur baby exodus /slaughter because SOME people somewhere (including myself) have severe allergies? I dont.

(Raye might though. She won't answer my direct question about it)

I dont see how you dont see the hypocrisy in your arguments. Its selfish for me to do what I like for my own enjoyment. It's not selfish of you to expect everyone everywhere to give up something that they enjoy to accommodate you????

• maifleur01
    Original Author
    5 years ago

If it was only for your enjoyment but from your other postings you also sell the wax cubes used by some so you have a vested interest.

• amylou321
    5 years ago

For the people who buy them to enjoy in their own homes/vehicles. I dont enjoy all the scents I make into cubes or candles. Far from it.

The lotion/spray I wear on my body is for my own enjoyment. I dont make or sell either.

What about plants? I have nephews that react to pollen and one has a bad allergy to grass. I have pollen allergies as well. So.......everyone in the world should tear up their lawns,cut down and dispose of their trees,and rip out their flower beds. So what if they enjoy them. There are people with allergies and asthma that dont....

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County