SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

What's the strangest decorative item in your home?

User
5 years ago

Surely you've got some weird stuff, right? Do share! The thread about the "weird or not" portraits of strangers started me thinking that I've got some rather (ahem) unusual items incorporated into my home as decor, but those things speak of travels and experiences and they're a part of who we are and where we've been. Thus, they are part of us!

It's hard to choose just ONE strange thing, so here's a couple of mine. First up is this little copper bat. DH and I found him in a little art gallery in a New Mexico mountain town, and were instantly smitten. He hangs in our foyer and what's pretty cool is that he actually casts shadows at certain times of the day. I like bats. And I like this little metal artist's interpretation of a bat!

Second strange thing is my bone collection. (Yes, bone collection.) I have a thing for old, bleached bones that I correlate to my fascination with Georgia O'Keeffe and her aesthetic. (Standing in front of Ms. O'Keeffe's paintings in her Santa Fe museum was one of the most privileged moments of my life.) Anyway, I know I should leave them where they are, since they all tie into the ecosystem, but on occasion I've been known to pick up a bone if I come across one while hiking. I found this elk skull in remote, backcountry territory and although it was not in pristine condition I still strapped it to my pack and hauled it out. (It's larger - and heavier - than it appears in the pic.) She stayed with me during the remainder of our holiday and I took to calling her Suzanne. Once home and unpacked, I didn't quite know what to do with her, but decided it'd be cool to paint her and give her a bit of new life. I had fun recreating what was left of her, and she now resides in my library's bookcase, on a shelf with a framed print of one of Georgia O'Keeffe's works (naturally). So ... Suzanne:

I told you ... strange stuff. But you may have even stranger. Please share for those of us who step outside the norm and appreciate the more unusual.

Comments (63)