How much do you pay for a haircut ?

Toomuchglass

I've always gone to Great Clips because it's cheap ($13 ) and I don't have to make an appointment. Those are the top 2 reasons I go there. Lately , I've been looking into going to a "real" salon - but some of the prices shocked me ! $40 and up . I just can't see paying that for a simple little short haircut ! What are ladies haircuts going for in your area ? Do you think you get a better cut from a more expensive place ?

SaveComment44Like
Comments (44)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Hot Rod

$85. And it's an awesome cut.

Save    
tackykat

After years of going to Great Clips and/or going to a stylist who charged $25 or so, I have bit the bullet in the last year and started going to a salon that charges $45-$50. (When I started going it was $40-something - I think when I go tomorrow for the appointment, it will be $50 - plus tip.).

I have found it to be a better cut. By that, I mean: (1) my hair (shoulder-length bob) looks good even when I don't do a thing to it - has a better structure (2) it looks better when fully styled and (3) I can go 3 months between cuts - so 4 haircuts a year. I figure $200-$250 for a year of good hair is worth it.

2 Likes Save    
kathyg_in_mi

In Michigan $17. Florida $19.

Save    
adellabedella_usa

It depends on who you get as a stylist. Great Clips or other chains have some good stylists, but not all are. They have a day of the week with specials for men and women. I've found some are ignoring that and charging their own price. Since they aren't giving good haircuts I started looking around and found a stylist I like who used to work there, but is now at another chain. I think he charged $24 for dd's haircut and I gave a nice tip. The nice salon places are minimum $50.

Save    
Lily613

I pay nothing. For the past 35 years, I've been cutting my own hair. It has nothing to do with saving money. It's about getting the exact results I want and years ago when I went to stylists, I didn't. Since it's a short bob, I can do it easily and my daughter finishes up the back in the middle.

4 Likes Save    
desertsteph

I go to Great Clips too. I think it's 13.00 too. in the 90s I went to a nice salon in another city where I lived then and it was 25.00, but a great hair cut.

Save    
amylou321

The girl who does my hair does it out of her house. I have heavy highlights that need to he touched up too though. So for her to do the roots and a cut she charges 70. I give her 85. 100 if its around christmas. My mom goes to her too and wears her hair short and a think she charges 20 bucks for her.

She does it just the way I like and I appreciate that,so I dont think she charges too much. I got sick of people cutting too much or not enough off and then insisting that it looked better than what I wanted. Also, the way she does my highlights I can go a lot longer between touch ups than i have in the past. They blend so well that there are no obvious tacky roots. I usually go every 4 or 5 months.

It wouldn't hurt to TRY a salon once if your curious. If you dont think it is worth it,than dont go back. It's the only way you will know. A good hairstylist is worth their weight in gold.

1 Like Save    
Lucille

I have very short hair, cut is around $13, tip $10.

Save    
dedtired

Ahem, $65 for a cut plus I have my color done every time I go for another $68. Plus tips. Probably costs me $145 every time I go.

Save    
joyfulguy

Peanuts.

Next to nuttin on top.

Cut/clip around front frieze and over ears myself and shorten in back with razor, son cuts from time to time - I take veggies and occasional groceries to him.

His former female special friend, formerly worker in hair salon, does it occasionally, sometimes accepts a tip, sometimes not. I take veggies to her, as well.

Usual barber fees around here around $15 - 20, I think, $10 - 12.50 for children, seniors (i.e. second childhood'ers).

No idea about fees fer females, fortunately.

ole (sometimes rather long-haired) joyfuelled

1 Like Save    
PRO
Lars/J. Robert Scott

What I used to hate was when a hairstylist would move to another city and I would have to break in a new one. I haven't had my hair cut by anyone since 2002, and that was by a friend in a salon in Beverly Hills. He charged me $40 back then - I don't know what his rate is now. Then I went back to cutting my own hair. I use two mirrors - one is a stand-up mirror that is adjustable, and the other is my bathroom mirror, which is quite large. I bought some left-handed scissors and taught myself to be ambidextrous, as I have to use my left hand to cut the left side. I'm used to using two mirrors, but doing that and using my left hand was tricky. Since I have a simply haircut now, it is not that difficult for me to do, and I'm quite used to using my left hand for cutting now.

I agree that a good hairstylist is extremely valuable, and I've had several friends who fell into that category - one is in Vancouver, and he always used to do my hair whenever I would visit. He used to spike my hair, and that's something that's very difficult for me to do myself.

Save    
always1stepbehind

$50 at least and up

Save    
Chi

$225 for color and haircut. I think the haircut is $70 or $90? I don't remember but she does a great job.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I go to great clips...$15 unless I get a coupon and then it can be as low as $8.

Save    
OklaMoni

When I go, I go to Great Clips... unless I am out touring on my bicycle. All other times, it is like Lily, and I cut it myself. Most times I am happy with my own job... but most times I am unhappy with jobs done by others.

Most I have ever paid, was 85, and needless to say, I never went back... even though she gave a GREAT head massage.

It does get harder and harder to do the part around the ears... but, heck, I don't pay, and I don't see it much... so I don't care.

:) Moni

4 Likes Save    
Martha Scott

I used to go to the city and paid $60 and it was a good cut but my hair is easy to cut and it took him like 15 minutes. I now go locally and it's $16 -- still 15 minutes! I really can't tell any difference.

Save    
joann_fl

I guess I am just cheap, I pay $9.95 I don't think price make the cut any better. They all have to have 1200 or more hours to be a hairdresser. I could be wrong but I am not spending that much.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

1200 hours is like 6 months. It's not very long. The training and apprenticeships for most building trades and other similar blue collar jobs are quite a bit longer.

I think the capability for the good hairdressers and barbers is a combination of tool skills and artistic/conceptual ability. For the latter, I suspect some is inherent in the individual and not something that can be learned. The difference between a good job and a bad one is usually quite easy to discern.

Save    
Toomuchglass

Ok-- excuse me while I faint at some of those prices !!!!!!!!! LOL I have to say ,if I went out - or just had a life - I would definitely pay that to get a nice haircut ! Since I'm a homebody and the most important place I go to is the grocery store , I'll opt for the cheap cuts ! My DH goes to a salon and pays $5.00 . I thought I'd try it so I went there once. The man at the desk said it would be $10 . So I sat in the chair and started to tell the stylist the way I wanted everything . When I was done , the man at the desk said "she doesn't speak English". No one spoke English except him ! LOL Awkward !!! *But I did get a good haircut :)

1 Like Save    
bpath Oh Sophie

I pay $50, up from $26 when I started with this gal almost 20 years ago! She gives me a great cut, and we have fun chatting. (When I left Dallas, one of the people I missed most was my hair stylist, he gave me a really fabulous cut that took almost no effort on my part to keep looking great every day.) I go every two months.

Save    
DawnInCal

Funny you should ask; I had a hair cut appt this morning. I've been seeing the same stylist for about seven years. For a wash, cut and blow dry/styling, she charges $25 and I tip her $5.

Save    
loonlakelaborcamp

I've spent about $200.00 in the last 30 years. Everytime someone else cuts it, I end up in tears when trying to reproduce results at home. No more!

Save    
greenshoekitty

I pay $35 for the wash and cut, and tip $10.00. That is a little on the low side in town. Most start at 50 and up. My stylist charges $85 for cutting and dye job.

Save    
pekemom

My husband and I used to get cheap senior haircuts. Later he had trouble walking. I was already grooming the peke with Wahl clippers. I bought Wahl's "people" clippers with many attachments and started cutting both my hair and my husband's.

Save    
functionthenlook

$45 The lady who cuts my hair is the owner of the shop. I love the cut she does on me. You know you have a great hair cut when other hairdressers from outside of the salon compliments you on the haircut and how well it compliments my hair type and face.

Save    
lonestar123

18.80 per haircut

Save    
sushipup1

$58, went up $3 in December. Plus tip. But it's worth it, best haircuts I have ever had.

Save    
marilyn_c

I go to one of the walk in places...and the cut is usually around 12 dollars and I pay with a 20 and the rest is a tip. I wash it myself before I go. I hate having my hair washed by anyone but myself. Their fingernails always hurt my head. I also don't get it blow dried. Just cut it and let me get the hell out of there. I have good hair and any cut and it does fine. I wear it short. I don't color it. I hate going to get a haircut and put it off as long as possible.

Save    
jemdandy

I go to local barber shop in my small town. The price is $14 for adults and $13 for seniors. The shop is open Tuesday through Friday and half-day Saturday. Its closed Sunday and Monday. Prices for haircuts on Saturdays are $1 more than week day prices.

Save    
lukkiirish

I don’t think I’ve ever used a place like Great Clips. My sister is a really talented stylist and fortunately for me, she cut my hair until we moved out of state. I think the biggest difference between a place like Great Clips and a regular salon is that a stylist has to build her own book of business so she (or he) is going to be more invested in you as a customer. Of course that doesn’t guarantee a good cut, but then I think it boils down to talent. In a place like Great Clips they work for the franchise and from what I’ve heard, they are paid by the hour. The other caveat is that it costs a lot of money for the stylists to buy the various tools of the trade and to keep their scissors sharp. A francise may not be as willing invest in their equipment the way a stylist would and that can affect how well your hair is cut as well.

It took me YEARS of sub par cuts to finally find “the one”. She only charges 25.00 for a cut and less than a 100 for a cut and highlights. She’s super talented and is honestly worth more than she charges. I’ve been going to her now for 2 years and every time, her cuts have been perfection.

Save    
yeonassky

I cut or rather trim my own hair. I have in the past been very phobic about letting people other than family and friends touch me. Now I'm less so but am still a cheapskate.

1 Like Save    
arcy_gw

I remember balking at $30!! Went to Great Clips in the 80s to combat that. Found a gal who did a good job. She left GC and I followed her to her own salon. At that time she charged $25, it was by now 2000. That was a decent deal but I discovered the difference in a good cut and a GREAT long lasting cut is if they wash/wet your hair down before cutting. GC cuts dry hair--the cut/shape does not last half as long on me anyway. To combat the horrid $40 price for a wash and cut I go only a few times a year. I would be in the poor house at every 6 weeks as recommended. Bottom line where you go what you pay has no correlation in a good cut. What matters is the one doing the work. All salons have their "C" students!!! I have yet to pay for a professional color job. Nails either. Now the high school girls are talking getting their eyelashes extended. WOW Americans have a lot of discretionary spending money!!!

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

DH pays nothing...I cut his hair for him.

1 Like Save    
lgmd_gaz

I pay $16 for a simple cut of my kept short hair. Just went up a buck this month from what it was for the last 8 years. The shop owner apologized for having to raise her prices. No biggie, everything is costing more.

Save    
Michael

I've been going to the same woman for 5 years. It's a Salon Loft. $45 semi-monthly and she also offers straight razor hot shaves. A hot shave is nice when done by her. Gentle and precise.

Save    
nickel_kg

Twice in my life I've paid in the 60 dollar range for a major change in style, and both times I think it was worth it. But usually all I want is the same style only shorter, so a walk-in $12 cut meets my needs.

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

$20. The same lady has been cutting my hair since I was a teenager and my mom stopped cutting my hair. It's been over 40 years now and she and her husband who owned the salon have both retired and sold the business. I now go to their house for a haircut. They only kept a few of their longest customers and now do only haircuts (no perms, coloring, etc).

I always take them fresh veggies in season and various pickled things during the winter months.

1 Like Save    
PRO
Lars/J. Robert Scott

I would just like to add that hairdressers make the best roommates. I used to cut my brother's hair, but when it got thin, I did not want to deal with it any more, and so now he goes to a barber.

Save    
marilyn_c

My husband cuts his own hair, when it gets cut, but it has some curl, so any mishaps don't show.

Save    
Jakkom Katsu

If it makes you feel any better, San Francisco Bay Area prices are astronomical. My longtime hairdresser is $85/haircut and $195/haircut + perm. I don't tip, since she's self-employed and gets gallons of Meyer lemons from me all year long, LOL.

Is she worth it? Yes. Asian hair grows out differently and I've had too many haircuts from stylists where the line of the cut fell apart in less than a month. There are a lot of Asian stylists around, but most of them focus on the more elderly customer base and their perms are carp, cheap quickie products that are damaging to finer-textured hair.

I'm very good at cutting hair and cut my DH's hair. Sometimes I'll do a trim on mine but regardless, a cut and perm will last me 4-5 months.

The rest of my family goes to SuperCuts. Sometimes they get a great haircut but sometimes......not so much.

Save    
eccentric

Toomuchglass - be prepared to faint. I am about to change hairdressers. If we weren't having a major snow storm with everything pretty much closed, I would have phoned for an appointment today. Prior to this development I had to pay almost the same amount where I was going - and where I went before that. I have very thick, naturally wavy hair. Fortunately, I do not get highlights. The starting price of $130+ really would be about $300 Cdn. for me.

The colour will be more than the $90 and the cut and blow dry will be more than the $70.00. This I know for sure, based on past experience.

Generally, the lower blow dry prices (included with the haircut) are based on the least experienced hairdresser. Sometimes there are colourists and hair stylists and you pay $X for the colour and then pay $Y for the level of the person who cuts/dries your hair. You have to watch out for this. Unless I am going somewhere I do not care about the blow dry - in summer I am happy to leave without it - but every second time I do need the haircut and then I need someone who knows what they are doing. I need the colour every time I go - thank heavens for hats and that I am very fair and need one - plus auburn hair colour fades fast.

My hair is very deceptive but a good hairdresser can do anything with it - I can do nothing. I prefer to have someone who won't go crazy! Funny to be my age and people still want to do my hair. Yes it will grow, and grow it has been doing - now I need some layers put back in plus another couple of inches in length would be nice so that I don't look like a brillo pad.

Blowdry 50+
Haircut + Blowdry 70+
Colour 90+
Highlight 130+

Save     Thanked by Toomuchglass
jill302

$45 plus tip for cut, usually cut every 8 weeks. Color runs from $40(top and front touch-up) to $85 (full) every couple of weeks, my hair grows really fast. The cost includes some highlighting or low lights. This is a very reasonable cost for my area in So Cal. And I am very happy with my cut. I have yet to try a super pricey salon, just can not see my self paying $300+ every 3 weeks.

Save    
chisue

We'd have to know the financial demographics to decide it anyone is paying a fair rate. I live an an affluent area. It's worth it for hairdressers to commute an hour to earn twice what they'd earn at home.

I pay $100 for color and cut, plus $20 tip. There's no 'shampoo girl' to tip. I've paid this for about ten years with the same gal. I've followed her to three salons. This is actually in the town next to mine. I'd pay another $50 here.

My DH pays $40 with tip in our town.

I've had *terrible* cuts several times on vacations -- at those 'barber-passing-through' places like Super Cuts.

Save    
Suzieque

I pay about 125 for a wash, color and cut. I don't believe it's outrageous. It's normal for a good colorist/stylist here. I'm in MA.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Regional Garden Guides Southern California Gardener's November Checklist
Sow wildflower seeds while ye may, give berries some love and pay attention to produce for garden veggies all winter long
Full Story
Most Popular Wisdom to Help Your Relationship Survive a Remodel
Spend less time patching up partnerships and more time spackling and sanding with this insight from a Houzz remodeling survey
Full Story
Sales Secrets for Interior Designers
Pro to pro: Learn 3 proven techniques to please clients and increase revenues, developed by a designer with 40 years of success
Full Story