SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gabby021

which size sofa and how many accent chairs?

AN
5 years ago

My husband and I have been living in our condo for 3 years with this tiny apartment sized 72" sofa in our super long living room. It looks funny and we need to update it. We need to do lots of things to our living room (new bookcases, art, etcetcetc), but we're starting with the sofa and accent chairs and maybe a rug. and maybe an ottoman. haha. Please see more below :).

I'm attaching a few pictures of our space - the measurements start from the right edge (when you're looking at it) of the fireplace to the wall with the bookcases, and that same wall with the fireplace back to where the closets are behind the existing sofa. We have 11' ceilings, and the living room space is essentially 22' x 16'. The existing sofa back ends with about 5' between it and the closet doors. Pardon the mess.

Just to give you an idea of the actual space, from the right edge of the fireplace to the window is 8'x11'. For now, we're not dealing with that space and just planning on leaving it for the cats :).

Here's the sofa we love from R&B, which we are debating getting in 90w x 35h x 29d vs 100w x 35h x 29d. The price difference is negligible so it's more of an issue of scale. We want the left side of the room to feel more connected to the right. It currently feels like no mans land over there. So that's question #1: which size sofa?

On to question #2a and b: We are also thinking of getting 1 or 2 of these chairs, but if we got two of them, they are probably too wide to sit side by side next to the sofa? Any thoughts on placement in the room?

Question #3 is that we really wanted to get a chaise, but ultimately felt like it really limited our space/options and choice of sofa, which is why we nixed it. So instead, we're thinking of doing a leather ottoman in a contrasting leather to the sofa, like so ( 56"w 24"d 16"h): Thoughts on this an option? Any other ideas? If you got this far, I really appreciate it! Thanks! Bonus question #4 that just occurred to me is that we may be able to squeeze a sofa/console table behind the new sofa. Y/N? Thanks again!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz