Sheet Pan Shrimp Boil

Martha Scott

We had this tonight -- it's easy and after you pre-boil the potatoes, it takes like 15 minutes to cook!

Shrimp, andouille sausage, corn, potatoes and lemon all tossed in a garlic Old Bay butter and then roasted at 425 for 15 minutes. Served it with an Old Bay Mayonnaise . . . which won't replace my regular shrimp sauce (half ketchup/half mayo) but it WAS tasty on the potatoes!

SaveComment26Like6
Comments (26)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bragu_DSM 5

yum. looks nice too!

Save    
party_music50

Interesting -- but I doubt I could find the sausage or corn available here. I just bought shrimp (frozen) and was looking for some new ideas.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Martha Scott
Martha Scott

I found the sausage at Wal Mart and the corn was corn I had in my freezer from last summer. Almost any grocery has frozen corn on the cob! It is winter, after all! If they didn't have the andouille, I was just going to use polish sausage.

Save    
Sherry

I usually use kielbasa with Old Bay Seasoning and andouille with cajun seasoning. I haven't made on a sheet pan, I just boil on stove top.

writersblock

That looks delicious, Martha.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a substitute for Old Bay? I used to like it until I ate a couple of times at Bonefish Grill, where they must add it to everything with a soup ladle, and now I can't bear it, even in normal quantities.

Martha Scott

writers block -- Old Bay is a mix of "everything" -- ground bay leaves, celery salt, dry mustard, pepper, ginger, paprika, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, mace, cardamon (to list ingredients in a copycat recipe). but I also remember shrimp boil which is what my mother used. Perhaps those ingredients in ground form you could sprinkle on your shrimp boil?

1 Like Save    
writersblock

Thanks, Martha. It's really very annoying because Old Bay is so useful, but after a major overdose, it's just never the same again, alas.

Save    
Sherry

Try Zatarains's. I like the whole seasonings in a bag instead of the ground up powder. Unfortunately, McCormick bought out Old Bay and got rid of the bag. This would not work for the sheet pan, you would need the powder. Zatarain's does come in the powder also. McCormick owns Zatarians also.

https://www.mccormick.com/zatarains/products/spices-and-seasonings/seafood-boils/crawfish-shrimp-and-crab-boil-in-a-bag

1 Like Save    
chloebud

Martha, it looks so good! I've made pretty much the exact same thing both in the oven and on the grill (in foil). Some good bread, salad and you're set.

Martha Scott

chloebud -- salad? LOL!

1 Like Save    
Martha Scott

Sherry -- that's what I was thinking of -- has less ingredients than Old Bay -- could you use those ingredients ground to season a boil?

1 Like Save    
Martha Scott

writers block -- what about just a salted garlic butter -- all ingredients would taste good with garlic and you wouldn't get any of those "off" flavors that Old Bay has for you?

1 Like Save    
writersblock

Thanks. Sherry and Martha. Those are both good ideas.

1 Like Save    
Feathers11

I stopped by here as I'm planning my meals this week. Glad I did! I love sheet pan dinners and have some Old Bay that I need to use up. Thank you for sharing this, Martha.

Rusty

Martha, I really need to stop opening your posts. I'm not sure how much more drool my keyboard can handle! That looks (and sounds) so-o-o-o-o-o-oooo good! !

Rusty

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Yum - that looks delish!

Hubby likes andouille, but hates shrimp. I love shrimp, so this could be a win/win.

Maybe a Cajun seasoning blend would be a good sub?

1 Like Save    
chloebud

"chloebud -- salad? LOL!"

Yup...my crew always wants a salad.

Your post made me think of this with salmon that's also an easy/tasty one. It comes from "Sheet Pan Suppers," but then meals like this don't really require a book.

Lemon Roasted Salmon and Vegetables

1 1/2 pounds, cut into 4 pieces
1 pound of asparagus, trimmed (or green beans)
Large cherry tomatoes
1/2 red onion, into large chunks
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 lemon
2 T. olive oil
2 T. butter
Sea salt
Black pepper

On a sheet pan, scatter asparagus, tomatoes, onion, lemons and sliced garlic. Drizzle on olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and toss. Top with salmon. Put a lemon slice and bit of butter on each salmon piece, then sprinkle with sea salt.

Bake in 425 oven for 20-25 minutes until salmon is cooked through. Serve on a platter with sauce from pan drizzled over the top.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Martha Scott
Feathers11

Thanks for sharing this too, Chloebud. I discovered sheet pan dinners a few years ago (probably from the pioneer woman) and they're now in my regular rotation. I usually do chicken and you're right--no recipe needed. But I like these above for variety.

My family can be picky eaters so having something in the dish for everyone helps. Also they aren't big on leftovers (whereas, I love leftovers) and so I like something this fast and easy. If I cook anything in large amounts like roasts, I have to be created about using the leftover and disguise it as something new.

Save    
Sherry

Boneless chicken breast or thighs, cut into chunks would go with, or instead of, the shrimp for the shrimp haters. Just make sure the chicken is small and thin enough to cook rapidly.

ETA: I found this online.

No nutmeg.

1 Like Save    
writersblock

Very interesting that they identify the cassia for what it is. I wonder at what point it became okay to call it cinnamon.

Save    
Sherry

Writersblock, it is actually two different things ( I had to look it up, LOL).

Their claim is that Ceylon cinnamon is the only true cinnamon, and that Cassia (or Saigon) cinnamon is fake. They are missing the point. The truth is, both belong thesame family of plants (and even the same genus — cinnamomum). And both are similar although the taste is somewhat different.

https://www.foodrenegade.com/your-cinnamon-real/

If nutmeg is in the new Old Bay, it could explain why I don't like it as well as I did growing up. As well, if the cinnamon is a different version, that would taste different also.

Edit #2. It seems that the cassia is the one we normally buy.

https://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eating/stories/whats-the-difference-between-ceylon-and-cassia-cinnamon

writersblock

Sherry, try it sometime. Buy a Mexican brand, like Badia. That's true cinnamon. (The Mexicans are very particular about spices and buy up pretty nearly the entire cinnamon output of Sri Lanka.)

Then compare the taste with the cinnamon sold by most American companies. They aren't the same. Cassia is sharper, more bite-y. It also lasts longer before the flavor starts to degrade.

1 Like Save    
Sherry

I looked up the Badia cinnamon. It says it is from Vietnam. The Spice Islands cinnamon I have in the cabinet is from Saigon. So where would you buy Ceylon cinnamon?

Martha, by the way, thanks. Frogmore Stew (Low Country Boil) is on the menu this week.

1 Like Save    
writersblock

Simply Organic says Ceylon Cinnamon right on the bottle. But the Badia I have says that, too. It’s possible that Badia sells both kinds. They do that for lots of things. For instance, they sell pure vanilla extract and also Dominican, which is made from Tonka beans.

ETA I don’t know where you are, but Publix carries the Simply Organic.

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

Try the various cinnamons from Penzey's ... we like the korinte cinnamon.

I use it in the kitchen AND the garden, for bulbs. Turmeric is a good anti fungal too.

Save    
Feathers11

I made Martha's recipe this evening for dinner. In place of the andouille sausage, I had a package of Jamaican Jerk brats in my freezer from our local meat market that I picked up for fall football games but never used. And I also found packaged ears of corn at Aldi yesterday--good enough for February. The brats were not precooked, so I cut them into bite-size pieces and started them on the sheet pan in the oven while the potatoes were boiling. Prepped the rest in the meantime, and squeezed the lemons a bit over everything. Once together, it took just 15 minutes at 425. Easy! Family loved it, and asked that I make it again.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Organizing Create Your Own Checklist for a Well-Stocked Kitchen
Personalize the kitchen with your own must-haves from our list of top cooking tools, small appliances, pots, pans and more
Full Story
Kitchen Layouts Determine the Right Appliance Layout for Your Kitchen
Kitchen work triangle got you running around in circles? Boiling over about where to put the range? This guide is for you
Full Story
Your First House How to Clean Your Cookware So It Lasts
Avoid damage during everyday cleaning and stain scrubbing, with these tips for pots and pans made of popular materials
Full Story