SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeneric_travelers

Post-hail storm quandary: choosing a contractor

Jen K (7b, 8a)
5 years ago

This is the first time we've encountered a hail storm that could result in a roof project. We've never tackled a roof issue before. The storm was yesterday morning, resulting in quarter sized hail.

By the time I returned home from work, yesterday early afternoon, I had 5 business cards on my door and front yards were dotted with roofing company signs. I considered an inspection would be a good idea, but didn't realize how challenging it would be.

I scoured online reviews and picked (4) companies: (2) have been by the house, and (#3) is on his way. The previous two noted damage sufficient for a total roof replacement.; waiting to hear from the third estimate. They provided pictures: loss of granules, holes, etc. They state no way the roof would pass inspection (we intend to sell this in a few years). Of course, I'd like to think I knew what I was looking at, but I'm not sure myself.

Based on my reading, the replacement is considered for 'grouping' - how many hits in a specific sized area (10x10 box?) and single shingle replacement wouldn't work due to how they're assembled? We have 3-tab asphalt; installed by builder in 2013 with a buyers inspection in 2017.

Aside from asking about their products, warranties, hiring practices (do they have W-2 employees or contractors), and insurance - anything else that will help me make a decision? Do you use the way the roofer 'acts' and presents themselves as a criteria? One guy was super talkative and used "I just want to be honest..." a lot. My gut didn't react well to his pitch.

None have provided cost estimates. Should I have asked for that while they were here?

One suggested - Legacy Shingle Line Class 4 hail resistant products which they said would be the same price as traditional asphalt shingles which hopefully means the insurance would cover that product, too.

Also, would an unbiased exterior home inspection be a wiser investment before moving quickly with an insurance claim and, if they deem it a roof replacement? But isn't that what the adjuster is for? (The adjuster and roofer would be reviewing the roof together).

Thank you for your help

Comment (1)