SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emileeg

First veggie garden shredded by hail...

emileeg
13 years ago

We got a ton of quarter & golfball sized hail last night... my squash, and beans, and tomatoes looked so happy and healthy yesterday, and now... the squash leaves are all shredded, the beans that had JUST started climbing up their trellis are all ripped up, and I have bent tomato plants. Half my basil plants got shredded too.

This is my first veggie garden that's all mine (all responsibility on me). I'm kind of really really really sad right now, and it's only April, and most of our nasty weather comes around in June. And we keep getting these bad storms. I'm really regretting not being all paranoid about the weather reports, but the last three times there was hail in the forecast, we barely even got any RAIN, let alone hail...

So..

Do I need to do anything to help my garden out? I don't know if having the tops of the bean vines lopped off from the hail is going to make the beans not climb anymore... I haven't thinned out my squash yet (there's still three plants all growing next to each other)... should I go ahead and do that? how do I know which two out of each set to cut off, since they're ALL hurt now? :( Should I fertilize? Anything?

Also...

Going to go to the hardware store to build some hoops so that in the future I can put SOMETHING over the garden beds if this happens again... they're 12" deep, 4x6 cedar raised beds. I was thinking of just drilling some PVC couplings opposite each other along the long sides, then using narrow PVC pipe as hoops that can be removed when i don't need them... what diameter PVC pipe should I get? How far should they be spaced? Or should I use some other material?

Sorry of this post is ramble-y or if I'm leaving out anything.

I'm really down in the dumps about this :(

Comments (12)