SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikerno_1micha

What citrus bloom or flowers can you show us for February 2019

myermike_1micha
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I was hoping for beautiful pictures of citrus blooms! Is there anyone here willing to share their blooms with us during this month?

It's been a long winter, so please share so we can all smile.

My Lemon Meyer is starting to bloom like crazy. I will share pictures soon)

Mike

Comments (110)

• nulesm
    5 years ago

Bob I've heard Daisy is near the top for flavor . Bob my Page fruit's are 9 times out of 10 totally seedless possibly because it always flowers inside the greenhouse were there's no cross pollination going on . Lol Bob always good to have lot's of friends who enjoy similar hobbies makes collecting much easier and also the benefit of making some very good friends at the same time . Bob I'm eyeing a couple of apple varieties for now, the Honeycrisp and Ambrosia they are delicious!!!!

Brian

• TheyCallMeDave
    5 years ago

Limequats are turning yellow quicker than I expected... When I moved the plant, the smallest of the 3 fell off.... I wasn't expecting much because it was about 60% green 40% yellow and quite small.... I ate it whole and it was surprisingly good and juicy... again, wasn't expecting much. I can't wait to have the 2 bigger ones, should be ready by the end of the week.

• Related Discussions

Show your February 2014 Blooms!

Q

Comments (81)
    Wow, everyone has such beautiful flowers, makes me soo jealous...I want spring to come here NOW!!! lol. I cant wait to put my plants outside and see them grow and see some blooms...and play with my outdoor blooming plants. Actually now that I think about it, I should, at least hopefully, have some late winter/early spring bulbs that should start coming up soon....I should go out there and remove the fallen dead leaves litter and see if anything is planning on coming up. Anyways, my birthday is coming up here in March, I wanna see some more of your guys beautiful blooms to cheer me up from getting old (31 years, eeek!!) Lol. heres a pic of my now fully blooming orchid.
    ...See More

What's flowering for you December 2018 - January 2019

Q

Comments (92)
    A sole pink TC bloom I've been waiting and waiting for this echeveria to bloom for a few weeks, apparently it's making a larger bloom stalk... Ohh alright... I'll be patient. ;-) Steve, wow! Nice work on those sweet potatoes! One of my favorite vegetables. I love its foliage too. Mike also, check this video out, ha I could do something like this but with a non toxic plant (because of the cats) lol (can skip along to 2:30 to see the foliage) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUp2-DqEfOE Mike, what a mesmerizing sunrise and the landscape, wow!!! Great pic love it. ❤ Mother jade so pretty too wearing her flowers. Shavedmonkey, those orchids are really beautiful! What is the scent? (if there is one) Dave, I adore your Orchid! Gorgeous! Nancy, I LOVE your plumeria, I am envious! KC, Ohh my, ohh my, that Jade!!!!!! ❤ -Nancy
    ...See More

February 2019 Blooms

Q

Comments (43)
    Euphorbia milli never stops flowering, so I always feel like a cheater when I mention it.. Kalanchoe farinacea was seriously etiolated last year, so I cut off 3 cuttings, 2 of which are flowering. Kalanchoe blossfeldiana has been going on for 3rd month already.. And the last is my beautifullay smelling orchid Dendrobium nobile cutting 3 years old that is flowering for the first time. When I received 3 cuttings, I had no expectations, or knew about smell, but here I am 3 years later with 3 blooming pots..
    ...See More

First Blooms of February 2019 In My Oklahoma Garden Are.....

Q

Comments (24)
    Our weather has officially jumped the shark and it now is 79 degrees here. It is starting to feel summery out there, at least to a person used to temperatures in the 50s at this time of the year. I'd estimate we now are 25 degrees above average for this time of the year. The spring beauties are breaking out in bloom everywhere this afternoon---even more than this morning. The henbit is blooming. I have been indoors for 15 minutes and, when I go back outdoors, I may find something else blooming. It is happening that quickly today. dbarron, Those are such cheerful little yellow blooms! It sounds like your place is popping into bloom quickly now just like ours. It is a shame the cold is coming back. Megan, I noticed y'all are a bit cooler than we are. I think if y'all were hitting 79 degrees this afternoon, everything would be going bonkers there like it is here. I am seeing new TX bluebonnet plants popping up out of the ground today, joining older ones that sprouted in December or January. Luckily, they are in a pasture and the taller grasses should shield them from the temperatures in the 20s late in the week. I love early blooms, but not if it means a return to colder weather will freeze them. We had a large gallynipper mosquito in the house last night. It flew in the back door when Tim let the dogs out. So did some moths. All we need now is a wasp or yellow jacket buzzing around and it will feel like winter has left us, though I know it has not. I am seeing something new blooming (mostly in the weed/wildflower category) every few hours today. It is wonderful and strange all at the same time. At the rate things are happening, the purple martin scout birds should appear any day now---because they usually show up around the same time the Spring Beauties bloom here, and I know they've been making their way north through Texas for a while now. They cannot be too far away. I am concerned this heat is going to push the asparagus to pop up out of the ground early. I haven't checked that bed today. Maybe I should. I put a thicker layer of mulch on it last year hoping to prevent it from emerging too soon, but that's likely not going to be enough once the temperatures are in the upper 70s like they are today. Dawn
    ...See More
  • Monyet
    5 years ago

Brian, if you like cheese and wines, try Melrose. Do not grow them on m7 rootstock, stay away from that one, use M27 dwarf for better taste or m9, which is a little larger.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

what about M111 rootstock. Proved very heat and drought resistant at my place.

• Monyet
    5 years ago

M111, makes too big of a tree, what you could do, use m111 as the rootstock and than graft a piece of m27 first than your variety. called inter stem, what you get is a tree with a good root system and still have a nice size tree. M27 has not a great root system.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

I'll be climbing 20 feet off the ground to pick apples. I have 2 pears grafted to hybridized Bradford rootstock that should top 40 feet, where the light is.

Steve

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    5 years ago

Brian your too funny. Lol. You know loooking outside it looks so nice and warm with the sun at an higher angle until you step outside. I can almost feel spring but defintely in the greenhouse buddy. Lol Thank you buddy. I’m forced to keep most of mine cold and semi dormant but a couple are allowed to grow all winter. Brian I took a hard fall on ice last night and I’m feeling today. Might of chipped my elbow. Ugh. It hurst a lot. Alwa a problem with algae. I think it might be because I keep the walls wet all the time. Dry humid in there because the orchids like it. The pond is tiny but enough to create humidity. Just a hole in the ground with plastic lining. This frog now calls it home. Lol.

Hey. Text me later. I am worried about Cory. im not sure if I still have her correct email. Usually she andwers when I write her. Thank buddy. Hugs

Mike

• nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago

Mike, ohh dear, I hope your elbow isn't chipped, please keep me posted. A few days ago, I noticed in the mirror my nose looked bruised, and it took me a while to remember what the heck I did. I literally smacked myself in the nose when I pulled a shirt on a entangled coat hanger out of the closet. LOL.

After countless years of hearing about my Aunt and Uncle's lemon tree in California, I got to see it!

They gave me a couple of lemons to bring home. (Several years ago, they sent a box full of them, I remember making lemon squares, my dad was sooooo happy)

There was an odd growth on it, an abnormality. My uncle said they didn't taste good, very bitter. I think it looks cool though!

I was amused to see a squirrel, it's coloring was more orange/auburn that the grey and black ones back home. Mike, I know how much you love these little guys, lol... I'm sure its planning on going on an adventure to the East to find your plants. hahha! ;)

-Nancy

• nulesm
    5 years ago

Mikey buddy oh no !!!!! . Mikey I hope that you didn't chip that elbow , winter really stinks so dangerous. I feel your pain my friend!!!! It seems Mikey every winter I fall about 4 times it's sudden and if doesn't hurt it scares the life right out of you . I really hope that your feeling better now!!!! This year I haven't fallen yet knock on wood . Over the years I've really learned to take it very slow anytime I'm outdoors. Snow usually is very safe to walk on but sometimes it covers up some very nasty ice underneath this is how I usually get it . Mikey I hope Cory is OK I really miss her she had a heart of gold !!! . I don't have Cory's email I lost it when I broke my old phone . Keep trying buddy . Big hug get better! !!!

Hi Bob I've just started doing a little research on the Ambrosia and Honey Crisp they both need pollinators , it looks like most apples would work . I will contact the grower in the spring to find out what rootstock they use , I would prefer a dwarf . Bob I love wine and cheese lol but never tried Melrose I definitely will keep my eyes open for it. Thanks Bob

Nancy beautiful pics !!!

Brian

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    5 years ago

Brian, you are right. I fell on snow that had melted then the ice got covered by a snow squall. It's funny, when you are young you get right back up as if nothing happened. But older, it feels like a huge jolt thorugh the body with no cushioning between the joints. I fell straigh forward and had to catch my fall with both hands which threw my shoulders back and hips out of place. I am a mess buddy. Yeah, I shall have to double check the e-mail I have from Cory. I worry about her. She does everything by herself and yet gets everything done. She is amazing and her flowers would look amazing on this thread for sure buddy. Thanks buddy. Brian, how old is Sugar? I just realized that my cat Bo is about 11 years old now. Where does time go? I remember holding him when he was just a baby and saying that he had a long time to go before he was old. Gee. Do you watch America's Got Talent? There are winners there that won over 11 years ago all grown up and I thought they won a couple of years ago! Remember the Blizzard of 78? Oh boy buddy.

Hey how's the aphid situation going? All gone for now? I can't wait to put our trees outside buddy. Looks like Nancy is having a great time.lol I could only wish I can get away to a place warm for more than a day. She's a good person that deserves it! Hugs to you and Sugar buddy.

Nancy, what's up? Post a couple of more pics will you? Please, that variegated Palm Tree is to die for. Show it here. I love that tree. Never saw anything like it before. I'll bet you just loved seeing those planted citrus tree and orchids? Any orchids ahnging around anywhere wild? You are going to miss the snow and ice storm we are having tonight. By the way, I hope all your trees are ok at home. I hate squirrels even if they were blonde.lol Miss you

• nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago

Thank you Brian!

Hey, Mike! I miss you too, wish you were here with me to enjoy the beauty and not freezing cold weather. Since I walked so much yesterday, and then went out at night with dressy shoes that were unsupportive it messed up one of my knees to the point of stabbing pain, so I am taking it easier today staying near the hotel. Tomorrow I will venture out again, planning to take a ferry somewhere.... just to get on the water. :)

I chatted with Josh, and this may be a variegated yucca, not a palm. Either way it's drop dead gorgeous and I wish we could grow it in our area.

Some palms....

waterfront

I'll be right back with some plant pics!

• nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago

Some in ground succulents, so wonderful to see them thriving.

My new obsession:

This is at my Aunt & Uncles, I LOVE-LOVE-LOVE its shape!!! It is an Asparagus Fern, Mike we're going to need a really big greenhouse someday ;-)

-Nancy

• nanzjade z5 MA
    5 years ago

Some balcony visitors, apparently I'm a terrible host as I'm out of snacks.

Mike, I've only see Orchids in a florist shop, these were in the $100+ range. I will keep my eyes open for them growing in the trees.

Be super careful with that icy snow storm, I hope you're wearing shoes with good traction. I hope your mom is well and stays safe in the snow too.

Sending hugs, a little longer, and we will be enjoying the beach.... can't wait!

Nancy

• nulesm
    5 years ago

Nancy so beautiful, the scenery the plants the palms , us way up north thankyou. Enjoy your vacation.

Mikey that sounded like quit the tumble poor you !!! This time of year is so dangerous the sun melts the top layer of snow then it refreezes at night forming ice . Mikey if there is a good slip it's the one you fall forward. The slip and fall on your back are much much worst especially when you fall back and hit the back of your head on the ice . Wow Bo is eleven Sugar will be eleven this September and your so right where does the time go !!! I'm afraid buddy that we are getting old fast to . I can remember high school and all that fun like it was yesterday and now I'm retired wow . Mikey I had been using the neem the past few weeks and I washed the tree's and GH a few day's ago everything is beautiful in there now . Not many bugs to be found but I'm sure they will be back in no time. I will just keep spraying and washing . Mikey my tree's look the same as when I brought them in last fall beautiful . So far I'm very happy, no major leaf drop and no caterpillars . Mikey a week to March Yippee we can make it . Take care Buddy be careful. Hug to you and Bo

Brian

• dnedd1 zone7 LI NY
    5 years ago

For all the above pics sign me up. That's what I dream about for my future. Here is my sad single bloom that I could find, which is a blessing because I do keep my citrus cold all winter and have never gotten fresh blooms in years past.

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    5 years ago

Great to see that it is warming up for blooms in some places. A decent hailstorm hit in my area of northern CA this past Sunday.... followed by several nights of high 20's /low 30's and frost. This is the Tango the following morning after the hailstorm... No blooms in sight - - it could certainly be happier!

• Atheen - 7a - in Maryland, USA
    5 years ago

Everything is still thawing from the pummeling of ice and snow we had yesterday, but my trees don't show any sign of slowing down, with still a good third of the blooms yet to open.

Today's harvest.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    5 years ago

Brian buddy, that is just great! Why in the world do these kind of bugs even exist in the first place? lol Just to aggrivate us and eat up all those nice looking trees. Yes, that's funny. Both of them are the same age. Crazy. Brian buddy, it will be quite some time before I retire, but boy do I wish I could now. You should see the boat my cousin rides on in Florida. They keep inviting me down but I can't break away from my plants. What to do buddy? I need to find a way to hire someone. It has to be when I can stick everything outside and leave the doors to the greenhouse open so that I don't have to worry about the cold and one can just water with the hose. I really want to go. When I show you a picture you will see what I mean. He said it took 1000 gallons of fuel to fill up. Crazyyet here he lives in beautiful weather and does not grow one thing! Just palm trees. Wait until I get a hold of his yard.lol Yup you are right, that ice is a killer. Now today it snowed then iced over. It was so heavy to lift, and then it got to 50 degrees today. Crazy. I am still a bit sore but nothing the gym can't fix. Here is a couple more pictures buddy.

Atheen, that is totally crazy. Ice like that and I still can't believe you are sweeping up that many left overs. You could of pressed those for natural oils.lol

Molewacker, after everything that tree has been through , it stil has a ton more fruit and looks way better than any of mine. It's beautiful despite. Wow. I am glad it did not get crushed or froze to death. I heard it's been unusually colder there than it should be. Strange.

Dnedd1, one is better than nothing! It's still something though How cute is that? I hope it opens. You need to celebrate if it does.

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    5 years ago

Nancy Holy toledo! If I could plant a Yucca like that, I would in a heart beat. I never saw anything so pretty as that color. I love the pics of citrus too. Sounds like you are having a great time. Thank you for such nice pictures and sharing your trip with us. What ever happe to the days when everyone use to get involved with others pictures? I miss those days. We should eb more friends here, but I am glad to say a few are of mine. Love all those colors and foliage along with the flowers. Bet you can't wait to wear a winter jacket again. Haha

• nulesm
    5 years ago

Mikey buddy holy macaroni beautiful pictures. Mikey you have to get on that boat for a vacation seriously!!! This time of year should be perfect to get away just water all your plants and they should be good for 10 to 14 days. Love the name of the boat THAT'S LIFE and I'm sure it is !!! 1000 gallons oh my I know my wallet wouldn't handle that lol . Mikey it went above freezing here today Yippee and now the cold front is just going through with a snow burst . You and I are quit the pair my back is now aching from shoveling the backyard for Sugar and our driveway and our neighbors driveway ouch . Ps those are some mighty fine orchids!!!!

Brian

• nulesm
    5 years ago

Molewacker your Tango looks no worse for wear ,still looks great !!!

Dnedd1 one is better than none . Your tree looks like it's doing just fine . It's saving all that blooming for when it's outdoors this spring .

Brian

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    5 years ago

Brian buddy, have you seen the weather for the next 15 days? Even colder in March!! Aren't we the lucky ones? lol Do you have any idea how often I look at the exteneded forcast looking for any hint of warm? And if I see the slightest warm up, I litterally get excited.lol I become a different person from depressed to happy! No kidding buddy Yeah, I an coming really close to going. I am tired of this cold and lack of sun. Just to wear my T-shirt outside for a couple of days would make me happy. lol No worrying about slipping on ice there. Maybe on the deck! 19 million dollars for that yact. They are nuts! I wish that kind of money ran on my parents.ha. Thank you. You should try a couple of orchids too buddy. I will send you a few of very fragrant ones if you would like. easy to grow and you can actually use them as undder story plants. Like I place a few on the top of the soil of my bigger pots so that they don't take any room and they are small anyways. Soke so fragrant they will blow you away. I have one called a coconut maxillaria that smells like Hawaiian TRopic suntan lotion when they flower. I will snap a pic for you. I can send you a small division. I am sure they would love your greenhouse and sitting under trees somewhere in that beautiful yard or even under your huge citrus trees buddy. Can''t we hold on to the warm weather for more than one day buddy? Geez.

I am speaking to Cory lately and it seems she can't post here for some reason. She tries and it fails. We have to help her. She is something and a huge part of the forums missing here. I will send her a hello and hug from you buddy!

• nulesm
    5 years ago

Mikey my friend I miss Cory to give her a big hug for me . Mikey I've been looking at the long range forcast and here they are saying after March 10 its up and away with above normal temperatures so I can just imagine how warm it will be where you live . Spring forcast so far is dry and above in the temps fingers crossed buddy . This weekend a huge windstorm followed by extremely cold weather blah . Hawaiian Tropic so love the smell of that lotion lol I also love the smell of Coppertone . Thanks my friend for the offer of the orchids I am terrible with them someone bought me one a couple of weeks ago I'll see how I do with that one first lol. Great night to you buddy.

Brian

5 years ago

Mike, last summer I had to go to Europe for a month to collect my mom and bring her back. I was not about to give the keys to my house to anyone. I had all my plants on the deck including my citrus trees on a watering timer schedule. It worked. They didn't get fertilizer for a month, but they got water every 3 days for 4 minutes (which is what it takes to start draining at the bottom when I water).
    I tied a small sprinkler head facing down with some metal wire on the lower branches and trunk of each tree. Only thing is, when i tested, I found the water was disturbing the 511 soil when it was starting, since the pressure is always stronger the first few seconds, , so i covered the top of the soil with a thin layer of scattered river pebbles. Just make sure you test and adjust the water pressure at the source. And put a plastic bag on the timer to be safe, because I don't care what they say, nothing is truly waterproof.
    They do all sorts of these timers, I'm sure you'll find one that suits your needs.
    Set it up this summer, test for a week or so for your own peace of mind, adjust as needed, and take a week off on a boat somewhere. Mine were fine and I left over a month.
    The setup worked so well that I left it on for a big part of the summer even after I got back because I was too busy with setting up mom to work about much else. I just started fertilizing again with a pitcher in the watering days. And I had more lemons last year than I ever had before.
    Atheen

5 years ago

I bought my pebbles at hayneedle, because it was cheaper than home depot and they give free shipping.

5 years ago
    They even do timers that you can override with your cellphone, but I didn't get that fancy...

https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-57946-6-Station-Sprinkler-Controller/dp/B01D15HOIQ
  • nulesm
    5 years ago

Not very long to go now , Tango's, Pages and Shiranui ripening up very fast .

Brian

5 years ago
    Wow Brian, what a harvest!
  • Monyet
    5 years ago

Left the house!!

• nulesm
    5 years ago

Atheen great info !!!! Maybe Mikey will be able to take a holiday now .

Bob Lol :)

Brian

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    5 years ago

Brian, buddy you have more fruit in there than Florida has on a grove.lol I never seen so much growing in one area in Canada. I'll bet you are the only one doing so. Dam, you could open a fresh citrus business! I can imagine all the fruit you use for those mixed drinks.ha What a beautiful Clivia buddy. You do well with everything! I will buddy and hugs to you too!! Give Sugar one for me too.

Atheen, so very helpful and thank you. I think I will think of something like that for this upcoming summer. There has to be a way. Thank you so much. Is Mom ok? Hopefully when you got her it was because you just wanted her to live here or she did. Thank you!!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    5 years ago

through 4 sheets of dirty glass and image manipulation, here are my flower buds on my NZL.

Steve

• Jan
    5 years ago

Oh my gosh guys I’ve missed so much!!! Unfortunately it’s been a difficult month or so recently since my mother’s health has been declining and it’s been such a juggle to take care of everything Plus my mother. It’s just been constant trips to the hospital. Anyways i am so glad to have all you guys here on this forum it sure is a pick me up everytime I feel down! :)

brian your pictures are soooo breath taking!!! I’m speechless every single time I see them! Please post more pictures to lift my spirits and that sugar is just precious! How difficult it must have been to leave that cute face everyday for work before your retirement :) brian I am trying to figure out what to get from brugmansia actually lol! I was thinking a tango and a clementine Nules and a ponkan do you have either of these? Lol at this point I’m just baiting for someone to enable me! Brian I too was also thinking of the pixie from Phoenix Lol I think you’ve got me hooked on mandarins! Brian I so would love to see a picture of your boukhobza And a review of any ripe fruits you’ve harvested lol love that dekopon too mine are about the size of the end of my thumb right now I can’t wait! Brian I agree on Amy I sure do hope she chimes in soon she is such a gentle and kind soul indeed. Please give sugar lots of hugs for me brian!

mike!! how Are you feeling now? I took a nasty fall a couple years ago as well ouch that black ice will really get you! I hope you’re recovering. I’d love to see pictures of all your citrus I don’t think I saw many of it unless I misssd it while scrolling down through all everyone’s pictures! lol I did see that boat picture you posted of your cousin in Florida though you should definitely go! Lol although I too cannot leave due to my plants and many animals! As I get older I’m realizing life is too short not to enjoy ourselves whether at home or away :) oh and I looove your orchids! ive been trying to grow just phals myself but never have any luck. What do you grow them in mike? Any tips for a beginner like me? And I’m also getting started on olives. Mike I get my first Olive tree this summer from brugsmansia! Lol pretty soon I won’t be able to stand in that greenhouse it’ll be too full! Hugs to you mike!

bob yowza your citrus look great!

Atheen you could potpourri those blossoms I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many in my life lol!

jenny that dekopon is Adorable thanks for the ruler next to it very useful now I know how big mine has to get lol a long way a ways though since it’s only the size of the end of my thumb.

• nulesm
    5 years ago

Jan soooooo nice to see you back !!!! Prayers for your mom , she is in good hands with you by her side !!!!!I wish her a speedy recovery. Jan what a winter we are having it's so cold here ridiculous. The roads are pathetic full of ice a foot deep in places . I can't even see our above ground pool it's totally buried lol. Next week it's supposed to be really cold then it looks like spring will roll in the week after Yippee. The plants in the greenhouse are doing very well except for the odd breakout with aphids . Every year it's seems that I have to deal with some kind of bug . Lol Jan it was very tuff leaving for work in the morning knowing Sugar would be alone but now I have him by my side all the time . Jan my Boukhobza has finally started to grow and it even has a few blossom's. It seems it had a hard time adapting either to my climate the greenhouse or the rootstock it's on . Hopefully this spring it will take off because it's still kind of small . This pic was taken a week ago , its the tree in the red pot in the middle with the new growth on the top .

Jan isn't Brugmansia Quebec selection incredible? Dany is bringing in some real gems !!!! . He has just added Shiranui , Pommelo Hirado Buntan and Nules Clementine. He's always able to get his hands on the most sought after varieties coming out of Florida, love it . I think I will hold off on any new tree's for now I just want to see what else Dany will be able to get his hands on this year. Jan I don't have a Ponkan but I've heard it's really good . I have a Tango the fruit are fantastic and prolific, it's the large tree in the center of the GH with all the fruit on it right now . Jan I heard that Pixies are great but it takes years to fruit so I'm going to hold off on that one . Jan absolutely love what you've done with your greenhouse a real paradise. You must be spending all your relaxing time in there . Soon you will have your tree's back outside although I heard the weather has been pretty cold out there to. At least you won't have to wit to May lol. I hope Amy is all right she has not been here for awhile . Miss you Amy !!!!

Brian

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    5 years ago

Oh I hope I didn’t miss all the party with so many friends here!!! February will be over in a few days and I can’t say that I am sad about that! We had storms after storms here. At some point, I was scared to let my kids out because I am pretty sure that they will be bury under all the snow!

Jan, I hope that your mother will recover very soon! Maybe some dish cook with your out of the world buddha hand zest will speed the process? Oh Jan your greenhouse is so beautiful! It looks very cozy and I can picture myself there with my coffee in hand each morning (and afternoon and evening lolll..). Oh... you are so strong will to be able to resist the call of the pixie loll. I pull to trigger as soon as phoenix perennials have opened their citrus pre order. I was so excited to press the submit button that I didn’t even enter the right address lolll. Oh I think that you can’t go wrong with Tango. Brian sent me a couple of budwood and I am not kidding they were loaded with fruits!!!!! Here is a pictures of my shiranui. I can’t wait to taste it!

Flower on my moro blood orange

Brian!!! Hang on there!! Spring will come soon enough for us according to the groundhogs lolll. Brian did you contact Perry from floraexotica to ask him to bring some ortanique in this year? Brian how is your variegated minneola? Did you have any fruits yet?

Oh I love orchids! I have a cymbidium and it produced a flower spike for the first last fall. I broke it accidentally and I just wanted to kill myself by jumping from by patio (don’t worry is just two feet high lolll).

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    5 years ago

Oh Brian, I just saw the pictures of your shiranui! Looks yummy? Did you keep track of the big bad squirrel so he will not steel it before you can eat it? Oh my god, the picture of your trees is just heaven!!!!

Amanda! Love your gold nugget!! It’s my favorite mandarin so far and for some reason my trees is not behaving as well as yours!

Mike how are you? Aren’t you happy that this winter will be over soon?

oh I must go through this thread. It has so many beautiful pictures

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    5 years ago

Amy, what the heck are you talking about? lol Have you seen the ten day outlook? Worst than it was the months of December and January..So dpressing and thank you . I'm doing better. How have you've been? I know, beeen busy trying to keep the kitty out of the pot. I love that picture. lol You made my day. How are the trees these days? OH, look at this link. I have been looking for a 50 degree mark for ever. Ugh

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/01801:4:US

Jan,

I am with Brian and Amy..You have bee SO missed and I worried about you and mom. I will be saying prayers for her and you too to be able to handle this kind of sadness. Thank God you have a place to escape to for comfort, a place to read a book or just cry. A place here to hang out with many that truly care for you. We appreciate everything you say and do here, especially the beautiful pictures you post. HUGS to you from my sister and mom here, including myself. Yes, many in my family like being a part of this place in secret and they have grown to like you, Brian, Amy , Laura, Steve, Bob, Jenny, and a few more that I wish I had time to mention. You are right, all I have to do is find coverage for my cleaning job and I will be able to go. I need to feel the warm sun for a while. All my brothers and sisters have been to the tropics, including my younger sister as we speak, sending me pics of palm trees and beaches, and I am the one caring for my mom with no time to go. So sad at times...Jan, orchids are easy. Just tell me what conditions theye will be in and we can go from there. Let's start with one or two. Pahls are very very easy. Just ask and I will help you. Hugs!

Brian, please, I hope you are right!! It has been relentless cold here. It all started in November with a break or warm once in a while, but this below normal temps seems non ending! Have you seen the next 15 days? I see nothing warmer than 40 here and normal highs are the high 40's. All I see is 30's and teens at nigt. I am sick of it. Way too long for this. Please be right..lol. Hugs hugs hugs to you my good buddy and true friend.

Mike

• nulesm
    5 years ago

Amy there you are Yippee, you've made my day . I know for sure there have been a few here worried. You sound so good so happy I've missed you lots. Amy what a wonderful Shiranui fruit just wait until you try that one you might change your mind on the Gold Nugget. Considering the winter we've had your tree's look no worse for wear great job !!! . Amy hasn't this winter been dreadful? January and February we had snow almost every single day . There is just so much ice Yuck . Amy I've missed the enabling you brought here lol. I didn't contact Perry me bad . I am hoping that Dany from Brugmansia will bring it in, he carries almost every variety. Did you see that Dany is bringing in Hirado Buntan? Lol I knew the first Pixie sold was an Amy purchase I just knew lol. Amy seriously I have room for one more not really but will seriously consider the Ortanique or a new Variety like Bingo, fingers crossed Dany . Amy are you still collecting or is you collection complete now ? Amy my Variegated Minneola Tangelo looks really nice and it has flowers so maybe fruit by the end of this year . Amy thanks so much my friend for writing us today , its always so much fun talking to you .

Mikey my friend I'm soooooo done with this winter last night it went down to minus 23 C or -10 F it's almost March darn it . We missed a snowstorm today by 50 miles Yippee its about time . I see that you might be in for some snow tonight lol . How did you like those gale force winds the other day ? We had those same winds and why we didn't loose power I will never know , its been crazy my friend. Mikey take a trip it will do you wonders even if it's just for a week . What's that saying all work no play -----? Mikey they've been consistent on an early spring lol fingers toes crossed buddy . Hugs to you

Brian

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    5 years ago

Whaat? After Tango there’s also a Bingo?? Oh Brian, please don’t keep me in suspense! Tell me more about that! Is it another must to have? Loll Brian, I am still secretly dreaming of a valentine pummelo and a daisy but they are so hard to find. Congratulations for your retirement! Your trees have always been beautiful and I can’t imagine how they will look now that you have more time to take care of them.

Brian did you fix your issue with aphids? I also have a problem with some mealybugs coming from one of my orchids. Not happy about that at all!!!

Mike lolll!! The weather forecast said and I quote « fast and furious onset of spring » here. I hope that it will be true and we won’t have a repetition of last year when the entire world is sweating in heat and we were shivering with our polar vortex!

• Jan
    5 years ago

Amy!! oh my goodness I am so happy to see y0u here everyone missed you lots! I like Brian especially miss your enabling lol! I did see that the pixie had one less in numbers when I went on the Phoenix website and I did think it must have been Amy! Lol! thank you for your well wishes for my mother Amy lol we Are both waiting for the Buddha’s hand im So excited! Amy thanks to you and Brian the tango has now been added to my cart from Danny lol and I’m sure that won’t be the end of it! Amy your shiranui is sooooo beautiful I’m in awe please let me know when you try it what it’s like! Amy I remember you have a miracle fruit and I did spy one that Danny is selling lol I’d love to know how it’s doing and if you have any fruits! Amy stay safe and warm inside I hate storms too especially thunderstorms youll find me my dogs bunnies and family under the covers when that happens lol

Oh Brian that’s quite the growth and this is slow growth by your standards? lol I wish mine grew as fast as this y0u must be doing a happy dance lol! Please update us all on the fruit I’m so excited to see them and hear how you like it. You know Brian I suffer with aphids too now they are all over my Meyers lemon how do you keep them at bay? I’ve been crushing them all by hand lol it’s actually quite therapeutic! Your trees growth doesn’t seem to be hindered mine are covered with sticky dew from those suckers! I always wonder how they survive in your harsh weatherthrough the winter lol those must really be some superbugs! I saw the weather forecast and it’ll be atleast another week of cold weather for you guys but I bet it’s a tropical paradise in your greenhouse Brian i always imagine you and sugar on a hammock in there in flip flops and shorts a Hawaiian shirt with some margaritas lol! Oh no Brian lol I just saw your wish list lol so the enabling has begun! I’m with Amy on this please enable us and tell us about the bingo don’t leave us hanging here Brian! Lol Oh dear I’m definitely going to wait and see what dany will be getting in I haven’t pulled the trigger yet on any of Phoenix trees lol I’m practically sitting on my hands though! Although I did add an olive tree and a miracle tree as well as a tango to my shopping cart from Danny lol I haven’t pushed the checkout button because I feel like with Amy and you here I don’t think my shopping spree is done yet :) Don’t worry brian in a couple weeks the weather forecast says it’ll get warmer for you guys keep yourself and sugar warm until then! :)

mike! Thank you so much for the prayers you’re such a darling and so thoughtful! I love coming here everyone’s so warm and I’ve come to regard many including yourself as friends very close to my heart! Well hello to mikes family who might also see this lol big hugs to you all and mike! You know mike I never gave much thought to how much a caregiver goes through before I’d turned into one myself even though it’s lovely to spend more time with my mother I must say as you know caring for your lovely mother as well :) Please send us pictures when you do go lol with proper Florida attire Of course ;).oh mike thank you thank you!! With you helping me I don’t see how I’ll fail in my orchid endavours! mike I did just buy this phal from a grocery store lol and I thought I’d test myself out on it so what is my next step? Lol it looks to me like it’s in some sort of moss soil? I could keep it in my house which doesn’t have a lot of south facing windows and those windows are covered by pine trees from neighbours front yards most of the time so not much sun and the greenhouse well it does get cold in there as I only keep citrus. Should I repot it mike and fertilize? Do they like lots of sunshine? Lol when I say I’m an orchid rookie that might be putting it mildly! You might regret agreeing to help me after the millionth question! Lol!

Wish you were all with me having some tea here in the greenhouse today It was a nice sunny day I could barely peel myself away to make dinner :)

• nulesm
    5 years ago

Ok first off the enabling part of this conversation lol. There are a few varieties of seedless excellent flavored mandarins that are currently being tested in Florida. Bingo , US Early Pride which is a seedless Fallglo, Seedless snack , Marathon and the low seeded Roe Tangerine and Aroema tangerine the list goes on and on lol . Something to look really forward to in the future definitely!!!!

Amy I love the retirement thing , so looking forward to the gardening season . I love not having to go out early in the morning fighting the snow and rush hour traffic!!! . Amy I'm with you I would love to get my hands on a Daisy, who knows we might be taking a trip to Toronto in the spring. Amy I know you've always been interested with the Valentine but were you not interested in the Hirado Buntan Pommelo lol? Amy I've been battling Aphids off and on for the last month and a half . I've been spraying them with neem also when I water I spray the tree's down . I must admit even with the aphid problems my tree's have never looked so good thank goodness. How have your tree's been doing ? Your Moro and Shiranui look so nice !!! So Amy lol do you still have room for any new varieties ? I so don't lol .

Jan the pictures of your Greenhouse would easily make it on to a cover of a gardening magazine, its such a lovely peaceful space !!!! Jan lol no flip flops and shorts yet, another month maybe . The maximum high temperature in the GH when the sun is on it has been running 70 to 73 F very comfortable. The night time lows in there have been running 44 to 45 F very cool , its just been so darn cold outside !!! Sugar loves it in there but when it hits around 70 he wants out , he's not to fussy about the heat . Jan lol I'm not going to enable you , I would not want to see you loose all that beautiful space for your table and chairs. Jan it's like I have two little guys sitting on my shoulders , one saying don't buy anymore and the other saying go for it which varieties are you still looking for lol? Jan there are so many that I feel the need to get from Brugmansia Quebec ---Ponkan , sanguinelli, Xie-Shan, Hirado Buntan not to mention the Nordman seedless kumquat from Phoenix, its killing me . Jan the next time you water give those tree's a good hose down that might help with the aphids and all that sticky stuff . Jan ain't it therapeutic lol, I know exactly that same feeling . Well tomorrow is the 1st of March which climatically is the first day of spring we are almost there Yippee!!!!

Brian

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    5 years ago

Jan

Jan, here is a picture of one of my phalaenopsis

As you can see, I grow them in a vase for five years now and I have flowers every year. Here is a link that explains how this method works:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=undefined&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwjGyoLJ39_gAhUBo4MKHeqvBMEQzPwBCAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.popsugar.com%2Fhome%2FHow-Plant-Orchids-Glass-Terrarium-Vases-8198547&psig=AOvVaw2euUN9Ul-vsm5p2SCDSWfm&ust=1551488601694176

The most important thing is to not let water sit on their crown because it can lead to crown rot.

Oh Jan! You have such a good memory! Yes, I bought two miracle fruits last year and I am still waiting for them to flower lol. To their defense, I don’t pamper them like I do with my citrus so maybe that’s the reason why loll.

Brian! What a beautiful day we had today!!! Although it was still cold, I can feel that spring is not far away. Brian, at what temperature do you start to bring your trees out? Oh I can’t wait for mine to be outside and to be able to shower them with a good spray to remove the mealybugs!

Brian, my trees are doing ok. I lost my cocktail mandalo and my yuzu at the beginning of winter (Very sad... I must repurchase them again!). My santa teresa grow like a monster but didn’t flower yet. Same thing for my new zealand lemonade. After a year of doing nothing, my clementine nules decide to start flowers! Yeah! My page and kishu are starting to take a lot of room. Oh no!!

Brian, I am in the same situation than you lolll... I can not fit anything more! Not even a cutting! But lolll, I couldn’t resist a new pixie. Who knows how long is gonna take for someone to carry it again! I still bang my head on the wall for not buying the valentine pummelo and daisy mandarin two years ago! Talking of valentine pummelo, Brian is a must! It’s a mix of pummelo, mandarin and blood orange and I think that you will love it because they said that you can taste all the three parents in it!!

Lolll Brian, I will finish my post on a dramatic note: You must hurry if you want the Normann seedless kumquat!!!! Last time I checked, there’s only 3 one gallon left! All the three gallons are sold out already!!! Oh I hope you won’t lose any sleep on that lolll

• Amy (montreal, canada)
    5 years ago

Jan! For some unknown reasy I can’t post any picture! I will try again tomorrow!

• nulesm
    5 years ago

Amy lol I check Phoenix every morning and I have been watching the Pixie and Nordman Seedless kumquat lol, I think Jan picked up a Pixie one was sold yesterday. Amy gorgeous day yesterday but cold . Not a cloud in the sky this morning so I shut down all the heaters in the greenhouse. Oh no Amy maybe a snowstorm for Montreal Sunday night into Monday morning. Here in Ottawa we'll be just on the edge or it might even just miss us fingers crossed!!!! Amy I usually bring my tree's out 99% of the time during the long weekend in May , sometimes the weekend before . It really depends on the long range forcast. Amy so sad I think Phoenix is carrying the cocktail mandalo and I think Dany has the Yuzu on preorder. Glad to hear that your Santa Teresa is growing Gangbusters, mine is growing soooooo slow but it did have a major flush last summer but nothing since . My New Zealand also is fruiting and growing like crazy. Amy just an observation with Shiranui watch it like crazy because once the fruit gets to a decent size the branch usually snaps. This morning I noticed a broken branch and this is not the first time its happened so maybe you should support that fruit . I find the Shiranui branches are very soft but I still love that tree my favorite . So glad to hear that your Kishu and Page are growing, just wait until you try the Page so good . Amy I don't have room for a cutting also but good old me have being try to root some store bought cuttings lol, it just never stops does it . Amy lol I already have a Pommelo not sure of the variety but I know for sure it's white and it was delicious. Amy the Hirado Buntan the pink Florida variety is supposed to taste amazing lol not trying to talk you out of your Valentine. Have a great day Amy !!!!

Brian :)

• Monyet
    5 years ago

Brian, i am getting Daisy sionwood next week. Took picture today, got myself a bloom factory.

Been nonestop since late December. Every time it get in the low sixties i take them out and let the bee's have their say.

Amy, if you get a rental van, stop by and i can load you up and be set for a while, including the Amy tree.

Starting training session with the smaller tree’s.

• nulesm
    5 years ago

Bob the great enabler lol. Congratulations!!!! Daisy is good really good some people think it has the best taste of all mandarins. Your tree's look fantastic great job Bob .

I am going to have to take a trip to Toronto this spring and pick me up one of those. Bob those bee's must go crazy on those tree's when you bring them out . How do you get them back in without getting stung lol.

Bob I was in the greenhouse for a couple of hours this morning and I actually had to get out of there it was just to warm . The tree's are all in bloom and believe it or not it smelled like orange juice in there.

Signing out from tropical Canada.

Have a great afternoon Bob.

Brian

• Monyet
    5 years ago

Hey Brian, need any help bringing that guy in, let me know. Btw, those are pet bee’s, just like outdoor pets. They are toooooo busyyyyyy!

• nulesm
    5 years ago

Bob lol you can help out anytime you want the more the better . It takes 3 to bring it in . Ah the old pet bee trick knew it .

Brian

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    5 years ago

Brian buddy , my buddy. My god. Is that really your greenhouse??! It looks like the back yard of my house in Puerto Rico. Wow. I’m taken baCk buddy. Need help lifting that monster? I see blue sky ! You must have your sandals and shorts on since it’s so warm in there ) I’m waiting at the doctors office looking at this and just got called buddy. Hugs. Oh, that felt like a ‘ status ‘ on Facebook. Lol. I’ll be back buddy

• nulesm
    5 years ago

Mikey buddy I sure hope all went well at the doctors office today. Lol no flip flops or shorts today it was winter boots and a heavy jacket the temperature at 8.00am was -2 F brutal cold . Mikey at 10.30 am it was 74F in the greenhouse with no heaters running. Last night I watered all the plants in the GH so you can imagine the humidity in there today with the full sun by 11.30 am Sugar and I had to get out of there way to warm . Mikey you would of had a good laugh at me today buddy definitely not my day. Today I fell twice on the ice . First fall landed on one knee it hurt but not to bad . Second fall lol fell in to my butt can and cut my hand . Just imagine the mess of cigarette butts I had to pick up they were all over the place yuck lol almost enough to make me quit almost lol.

Hope all is well buddy. Hugs

Brian