SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riverrat1

Antique Chinese screen. Should we make into a TV screen?

riverrat1
5 years ago

We have a beautiful 6 panel, 6 foot, double sided Chinese screen that we are thinking about altering to screen for a wall hanging TV. I'm a bit hesitant because the information that came with the screen deems it may be an expensive antique. We purchased this at an auction in 1982. I forgot what we paid but it was a significant amount. Since then I've used it as a piece of art behind the piano, raised up on blocks so we could see the display.

We are building a new home and I don't have anywhere to use it except to screen the TV. We have briefly talked with the designer and she said it would be beautiful but would need to be altered. The feet would need to be cut off and the middle hinge would need to come off.

This is some of the information we received when we purchased:

"The screen is called "Coromandel Screen", Coromandel is the name of a seaport in India. In the eighteenth century, the westerners come to the east and they start to import this type of screen back to Europe Via Coromandel, that's where the name came from.

This screen is made in Ching Dynasty (1644-1911 A.D.). The material is teak wood base with ashes. Then they carve from the layers of black lacquer. Then (P. T. O) They put on the powdered color, then finish the work. All the screens are of standard size, four, six or eight panels. Some of the imperial pieces go to twelve, fourteen or sixteen panels, but are rare now."

Sorry so long but was hoping someone would have more info. on this screen before I alter it. I checked on a few sites like Charish and 1st dibs but nothing that closely matched my screen.

The other side of the screen has egret birds. It's way to heavy for me to try to turn it around.

Am I crazy to to even consider this?

Comments (24)