SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ltlwillie1280

Wainscoting (board & batten) construction dilemma..

Matt
5 years ago

Need some ideas on how to not make this project overly complex.

We are doing board & batten style wainscoting in our dinning room going 2/3rds the way up the wall. It will be the style where you have the smaller box/rectangle towards the top and the long rectangles below it.

So here's the dilemma. All of our cased openings and windows will be trimmed out with 1 by wood. Therefor i wanted all the vertical and horizontal battens to be flush. But because are walls are in rough shape and i wanted a consistent surface finish, i planned to use 1/8" hardboard. But if i just put that on the wall and then lay the 1 by's battens on top of that, they will stick our further than the cased windows and openings. So i can only think of these couple of options:

1. Use my planner to plane down all the batten lumber by 1/8" so that i can just apply it directly over the hardboard.
  2. Use my router and put rabbet's on all the battens and then install them directly to the wall. This would require custom fitting hardboard panels to each section.
  3. Leave the 1 by's battens as is and when they terminate by a cased opening, somehow chamfer it or taper it into the casing.

Ideas?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz