SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_477961582

Advice on kitchen -- Should I reface or replace?

HU-477961582
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi everyone. I have a 20 year old kitchen that I want to reface. It was my childhood home. My mom is in a wheelchair and she did a lot of damage to the cabinet doors when she was cooking. They 100% need to be replaced. I would also like to rip out the pantry, which is impractical, too deep, and blocks sight lines and make it additional counter space with new cabinets on top and bottom. I got a quote for cabinet refacing with solid wood painted white and it was $5400 and includes soft-close hinges and creation of the new cabinets where the pantry was located.

They quoted an additional $4300 for quartz countertops and an undermount stainless sink. This doesn't include plumbing work.

I will be honest that I'm dreaming of a white farmhouse sink and I'm not a fan of quartz. I've seen how easily it can get damaged by heat, and we're anything but careful with hot pots because I don't give a hoot about these old hideous laminate countertops. I just imagine chips and heat stains a year down the road, and if I'm going to deal with damage, I'd rather it be for 1/3 the cost. I've had very good luck with lumber liquidators installing hardwood floors in the house, so I'd like to use them for butcherblock countertops.

Sorry that I'm rambling here -- I guess my question is, what would you do? Get an entirely new kitchen, reface it with the quartz option, or reface it with a cheaper butcherblock option and the sink of my dreams?

This is the look I'm going for EXACTLY (my kitchen layout is a little different, an L shape). I want to spend as little as possible... my budget is $6,000-$10,000

Comments (2)