SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjderosa

Installing basement perimeter drain:demo wall or within current floor?

pjderosa
5 years ago

Hi all,

We are planning on installing a perimeter drain along a wall in our basement that will be connected to an existing sump pit. I thought it would be simple since this is an "unfinished" part of our basement, but now realize it may not be. As you can see from the pictures, there is a fully built stud wall in front of a couple of inches of sprayed on closed-cell foam and both the water heater and boiler are hanging on it. There is also the bulkhead door there, which also stands out from the foundation wall due to being build flush with the stud wall.

I know it is preferred to put the trench and drain right up against the wall (uncover the top of the footer+several inches) with a channel to direct any water/moisture that may be on the inside of the lower wall, but I'm wondering if that is definitely worth the concern about how to properly reinforce and demo the bottom of this wall and doorway.

In our case, we believe our water issue stems from a rising water table rather than problems around the foundation. We don't believe we have water penetrating walls anywhere, it rises from cracks in the middle of the floor during seasonal rise if we're not pumping. I know there can be lots of conversation about what may or may not solve our water problems, but the intent of this post is focus on the trade-off of installing the trench and drain tile on the room side of the existing wall instead of along the footer. Looking for the benefits of any instincts or experience.

Thank you!

Lots of stuff on this wall... (this is just about the whole run - 15' from the right of the doorway to the sump pit (gray square cover on left).

Studs in front of 3" of sprayed-on closed-cell foam...

Top of wall also has some complexities to navigate if hanging reinforcements are required...

Comments (2)