Stamps in the mailbox?

littlebug zone 5 Missouri

My SIL lives in rural Oklahoma. She told me that her mailman leaves U.S.P.S. envelopes in her mailbox for her use to buy stamps. She said it's got various choices listed on the envelope to buy different amounts of stamps and their prices. So when she needs stamps, she puts a check in the envelope, leaves it in her mailbox, and when the mailman comes he takes the envelope and leaves her stamps.

I've never heard of such a thing! Is this exclusive to Oklahoma?

SaveComment19Like
Comments (19)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elizabeth

It is done here in Michigan, but I buy my stamps at the grocery story courtesy counter.

Save     Thanked by littlebug zone 5 Missouri
roxanna7

Here in Massachusetts, also.

sushipup1
Save    
maifleur01

Happens a couple of times a year here. Most normally between Halloween and Thanksgiving. Twice a year we also receive notification of their food drive. The notification looks like any other advertising so probably just tossed.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Used to get them when we were in rural areas. Now I order online.

miss_sistersue

When I was a child, we kept a jar lid in the mailbox, where we left small change (usually three pennies) for stamps. The carrier put stamps on the envelopes for us, and if we had not left the exact amount, he would leave our change in the jar lid. (Sometimes the carrier, whose name was Mr. Peach, would stop and have a long conversation with our neighbor, while I waited impatiently for the Memphis Commercial Appeal so I could read the funnies.) Long ago!

1 Like Save     Thanked by littlebug zone 5 Missouri
schoolhouse_gw

As far as I know I'm still able to buy stamps through my rural mail carrier via the mail box altho I haven't done so for a long time.

I remember when the mail carrier used to put the stamp on for you then leave a note for payment. This Christmas, like a week after, I received a card in my mail box that I had sent to my friend the second week of December. It had "postage required" written on it. Yep, I had forgotten to put a stamp on it. In years past, the mailman would have done that for me and left a note for payment. Or, my friend would have been notified when she got the card that postage was due.

ETA: miss sistersue - we posted at the same time. lol Yeah, those were the days.

1 Like Save     Thanked by littlebug zone 5 Missouri
Elmer J Fudd

Stamps have never been easier to get. Many stores sell them. Many ATMs sell them too. Along with the other alternatives.

joann_fl

we have it here in Fl

arcy_gw

It is all over the USA. Has been for quite some time. You can order them on line too. The USPS seems to know a trip to the post office is PAINFUL on the best of days!!

carabubble

That's how my father gets his stamps.

wanda_va

I love ordering them online, because I like pretty stamps...and various stamps for certain occasions. I just ordered more than $200 worth of Forever stamps online, and they were delivered with the mail. So easy.

PKponder TX Z7B

We have that service in Texas. I've not bought stamps in that way but occasionally we do get the postcard with the offer.

arkansas girl

Never heard of it. Sounds like a neat idea! I go to the post office or the grocery store. Most all grocery stores have them in case you didn't realize this. Ask your cashier. You don't get a choice though, it's usually just the flag design.

quasifish

My inlaws in CA still buy their stamps that way too. I was surprised recently when they mentioned putting the envelope out to buy stamps- I didn't realize the PO still did this, especially in a day and age when you can buy them online. They live in a rural area, a couple miles down a dirt road, but not far from civilization where you can buy stamps. As a matter of fact, they have a post office only about 10 minutes from their house.

littlebug zone 5 Missouri

I guess I’ve been living in a cave - I had no idea curbside service was available.

Note: I live in a very small town and it’s no trouble at all to get stamps at my post office as it’s only 5 minutes away. The staff is accommodating and friendly, and the postal clerk and I went to high school together. Next time I’m there, I’ll ask her about this.

Save    
Alisande

I put my stamp orders in the mailbox, but although the Post Office gives me special envelopes they don't tell me what stamps are available. I get that information from the USPS website.

I use the same method to mail packages. I weigh the package, calculate postage on the website, and then put the money in one of the PO's envelopes. Envelope and package go in my (large) mailbox. A receipt appears in the mailbox the next day.

I'm in Pennsylvania.

Save    
nycefarm

We have a VERY small post office, and while it is more convenient to buy stamps elsewhere, my post office needs whatever revenue they can generate to stay open! FWIW, my PO is only open two hours a day, five days a week...

Save    
lindaohnowga

I put a check in the bright orange envelope our post office supplies, put it out in our mailbox to be picked up by the mail carrier and within a couple of days, my envelope is returned with the stamps I ordered inside. The check has to be made out to "Postmaster". I like that service.

Save    

Related Stories

Exteriors 10 Sleek Designs to Welcome You and Your Mail Home
Innovative designs, contemporary materials and daring colors set these mailboxes apart from others on the block
Full Story
Accessories 15 Ways to Give Your Home Personal Polish
Let your home sing your praises with decorating touches that reflect your unique personality
Full Story
Decluttering A New Drop Zone Keeps the Clutter at Bay
The Hardworking Home: A clever wall-mounted station for keys, phones and more helps a family stay organized
Full Story
Life 5 Ways to Pare Down Your Stuff — Before It Gets in the Door
Want to free up some room around the house? Rethink gift giving, give yourself a shopping mantra and just say, ‘No, thank you’ to freebies
Full Story
Most Popular 17 Ways to Increase Your Home's Curb Appeal
The word on the street? Homes with appealing front views can sell faster, lift moods and convey a warm welcome
Full Story
Life Thank U 4 the Gr8 Gift: How to Send Thanks in the Digital Age
We click open invitations and RSVP via text, but a handwritten thank-you is sometimes still best. Here's how to tell
Full Story
Most Popular Gift Giving the Simple-ish Way
If buying holiday gifts drives you to the spiked holiday punch, try these easier but still rewarding traditions
Full Story
Decluttering The Great Paper Push: Just Say No
Going paperless is a heck of a lot easier when you put the kibosh on letting flyers, junk mail and more get past the front door
Full Story
Feel-Good Home 10 Smart Organizing Ideas That Make Life Easier
Rethink where and how you store household basics, from bills to baking supplies, to buy some time and save some headaches
Full Story