SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_grosmaire

A not so funny thing happened on the way to the bathroom redo

Laura Grosmaire
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Gah, thought the bathroom redo was going to finish me and then the stove goes out. . . It's a 35 year old (who's going to complain about that!) slide in JennAir with a downdraft system. Luckily Kitchen Aid (bought JennAir) still makes one (just one). Sooooo - the kitchen countertops are laminate (and there's a nasty burn by the stove). In our redo for the house (resale 3-5 years down the road), we were going to leave the kitchen. It's dated, but functional. The bathrooms were truly a detriment to resale so that's where the money/energy was going. With pulling the stove for replacement and possible issues (damage, some cutting for fit, etc), we're contemplating replacing the countertop.

1. Laminate again (least expensive) or quartz - brought home laminate samples = UGH (although reality could set in).

2. Just the island or all countertop (there may be some complications here due to how countertop interacts with built in cabinets in dining room, but I'll need technical advise on that one = for later)

3. Which of these 2 quartz samples do you think would look best? I live in the Pac NW, we're light worshippers! So tend to go with light option when possible, but wanted other opinions here.

The kitchen has dark (not honey), grainy oak cabinets, floor to ceiling, also on island. The floor is brown (warm) 8 inch ceramic hexes. It's pretty dark! There's a window at the sink (south) and a glass enclosed nook on the north side which is the main ambient lighting.

Here's the big picture (complete with morning mess!), the stove is in the island. The countertop also extends into dining area. Sorry for the picture fuzziness, it's because it's so dark today!

Quartz options we like:

Creekside - colors/tone look great, but I'm seeing dark, dark, dark if used on all countertop (and also backsplash)

pental site picture:

Looks more like above than below, slightly washed out in kitchen pic below, not quite this light.

Oyster:

Pental site picture

Oyster is slightly washed out in kitchen pic, it's not quite this "cold"/light.

We used cashmere quartz in adjacent laundry room with same cabinets and it looks good, but your eye is drawn up to faucets/wallpaper vs. vanity, won't have that effect in kitchen, I suspect.

Here is the cashmere/oyster/Creekside for comparison:

So what do you think about the big picture effect of Creekside vs. oyster? Will the Creekside be a blanket of darkness, the oyster too contrasting, etc. It's hard for me to visual the big effect. Thanks for all ideas, experiences, opinions!

Comments (17)