SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Can these gummy muffins be saved?

l pinkmountain
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm working my way through some of my old recipes to cull and I tried one of my saved muffin recipes and it didn't turn out all that good. I love muffins and make them a lot, but I just might want to throw this recipe out. Or not. I'd like to make either it or something similar so I'm wondering why it turned out so gummy and if I can tweak it somehow . . .

Recipe was from back of Land O Lakes butter container.

Cran-apple muffincake (I made in muffin tin and baked for 25 min. till tested clean on toothpick inserted in middle muffin)

2 1/4 cup all purpose flour. Note: I tweaked it slightly and used 1/4 cup oat bran instead of the flour for the last bit, but I don't know if that was what did it.

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

1 TBLSP baking powder

1 cup peeled, cored and chopped cooking apple (I used a small Gala and a red delicious, which aren't cooking apples per se, but they don't seem to be causing the gumminess)

1/2 cup butter, melted

3/4 cup milk. Note: I used 1/4 cup orange juice and 1/2 cup milk because my notes said the muffins were "bland."

1 egg

1 tsp. vanilla

1 cup frozen cranberries, chopped.

Note: I added 1/4 tsp. dried orange peel and a pinch of salt.

Heat oven to 400 degrees. In large bowl combine dry ingredients and pecans. In another bowl mix all the wet ing. In a third bowl, reserve the chopped fruit. Combine fruit with dry ing. until barely combined. Add wet ing. and stir until just combined. Put into muffin tins and then top with cinnamon sugar before baking.

Flavor wise they are good but really gummy texture. I seem to have that problem a lot with fruit muffins. I threw out my peach muffin recipe for that reason too, plus it didn't have that great of flavor. I want a more cake like muffin with a sweet cake studded with fruit. These are dense and gummy. I used King Arthur all purpose flour, wondering if that might be an issue. Often I mix 1/2 AP flour with whole wheat pastry flour, but I didn't want to deviate that much this time and I wasn't sure how that would affect the texture. I experimented with macerating the peaches and draining the liquid in my peach muffin recipe and that didn't solve the gumminess problem, only made the peaches less tasty. So I don't think it is a fruit issue, it is a batter issue.

Comments (19)