SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

January 2019, Week 4, Getting the Itch To Plant Something, Anything...

As we move more deeply into January, I know that everyone is fighting the urge to plant something....perhaps anything.....somewhere.....anywhere. So, let's all take a collective deep breath and slow down because it still is only January, the cold is hanging on and we know it is too early for most things still.

However, if you need to direct-sow poppies and larkspur seeds, for example, right now is a great time to do that. The same would be true of most wildflowers.

Folks who like to wintersow could be doing that now as well, at least with some things.

If you are going to plant any bare-root fruit trees, grape vines or bramble fruit, now is the time to buy them and plant them as soon as they arrive in stores near you. All of those now are in at least some stores down here in southern OK or just across the border in western North Texas. I don't know how many stores further north have them yet. You could do the same with asparagus and bare-root peonies. I have seen those in stores here too.

Just a reminder....planting season, per recommended dates from OSU, begins February 15th with some cool-season crops and continues through mid-March before we begin to transition to planting warm-season crops. I know that most of us have fairly regular times we plant at our individual locations based either on dates or on air/soil temperatures plus the current weather/forecast. I normally plant onions the second or third week in February here, having learned if I plant them any earlier than that, they'll freeze, and if I plant them any later, I've waited too long and may be sacrificing some bulb size. This year it feels like a year to plant them maybe even later---the last week of February or the first week of March. I just think we will stay too chilly at night, at least sporadically, for me to plant at the usual time. This isn't based on exhaustive research of weather models and long-range forecasts, but more on a gut feeling I've had for months. Even though I could plant a lot beginning in mid-February, usually onions and potatoes are the only things I'll plant that early. I wait a bit later with spring greens and brassicas because we are in a cold microclimate and lose them to the cold if we plant too early....even if by 'early' I am actually referring to recommended planting times for my area.

For anyone who needs a refresher on OSU-recommended planting dates, here's the Fact Sheet:

Oklahoma Garden Planning Guide

One good thing about the recent cold is that it is keeping the asparagus from emerging too early. This is a good thing, as it has emerged too early the last three years and subsequently suffered cold damage.

If you want to/need to transplant any existing shrubs or trees, this is a good time to do so while they still are dormant.

Even though pansies, violas, stock, sweet alyssum, snapdragons, primroses, dianthus, English daisies and similar early season flowers are arriving in stores now, it still is too early to put them in the ground. A person could plant some in pots now if the pots can be moved up close to the house and covered to protect the young plants from the next blast of winter weather.

Hmmm. That's about all I can think of for this week. Late January, especially when the weather is very cold, is not really a hotbed of gardening activity. Some people do start seeds early indoors, as is their perogative, but then it is common to run into the problem of how to keep increasingly larger plants happy indoors when it still is too cold to put them outdoors. As they outgrow whatever light shelf system is set up, it becomes more and more of a problem to keep them happy or to keep them from getting too leggy. That is why all of us are here are holding off on starting seeds of various things, as most of us have been there, done that, and learned from it.

Have a great week and stay warm. Watch for the next cold blast in another week or so.

Dawn

Comments (50)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH