SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ava_brown71

Main Meal Today

Ava
5 years ago

It's a cold and dreary day. I am having French onion soup with croutons and cheese and a sausage on a bun with sauerkraut.

Comments (48)

• User
    5 years ago

I went and got fish fries for DH and I . Now we're watching the snow fall ....gggrrrr.....supposed to get up to 9 inches :(

Ava thanked User
  • joyfulguy
    5 years ago

Potato and onion stew with ground beef, and peas and carrots for veg, also may have some sweet potato with it, followed by caramel and peach yogurt.

Then cookies and coffee (probably not berry pie and/or ice cream, tonight as I had a snack of toast and maple syrup an hour or so ago) should keep the wolf from the door for a while.

ole (also fuelled by)joy

Ava thanked joyfulguy
  • Related Discussions

What's for Dinner ... Tuesday?

Q

Comments (12)
    Pam: Your supper sounds great too. I like baked ham. I use 93% ground turkey. I fry it for about 3 to 4 minutes per side (depends on how thick they are) and use a thermometer. Remove from stove at once. Let sit for several minutes. Sometimes even then they can be dry. Glenda: You got to eat one of my favorite meals and it was practically free. Good for you. Jasdip: Sorry to hear your tooth/gums are sore. I wouldn't mind sharing your meal. (I still haven't tried kale) Raven: I hope your headaches soon goes away. It's nice you have someone to help with cooking. It's a favorite of mine ... steak. Jim: I surely do wish I had a piece of your pot pie. Sounds great. Old Fixer: As long as it has bacon, I'll love it. Also wouldn't mind some of the ice cream. Deeby: Simple and quick. And followed by your Coke. Shirley
    ...See More

What was for your main meal today?

Q

Comments (38)
    I watched the grand kids today. Left their place starving and exhausted so I stopped and ate in at a local Chinese restaurant. I had a combo plate of Mongolian beef with steamed rice and an egg roll. Frotune cookie for dessert. Iced tea for beverage.
    ...See More

Anything special for your main meal today (Fri)?

Q

Comments (22)
    adellabedella_usa, I made a roasted tomato salsa with the last of my tomato harvest this year. It was so good that, I've been buying tomatoes ever since and making a weekly batch. I eat it with sliced avocados, scrambled eggs, warmed corn tortillas, and occasionally chips.
    ...See More

What is/was on your plate for your main meal today?

Q

Comments (49)
    Spicy Chickens wings and a salad. That was our lunch today. I'll probably have to eat something light for supper like a couple of Rye crackers with tuna, pickle, onion and pineapple.
    ...See More
  • Kathsgrdn
    5 years ago

I'm having a chicken soft taco. Brought home a piece of coconut meringue pie from a little cafe my daughter and I ate lunch at earlier. I ate a couple bits of it just now, put half in a container to take to work tomorrow. The piece was huge, so there is still almost half to eat the next day.

Ava thanked Kathsgrdn
  • glenda_al
    5 years ago

Prime rib with creamy horseradish sauce, buttery sliced mushrooms. Had a 25 per cent off at Logan's. T'was good. Logan's is not my favorite but the prime rib was excellent: medium rare

Ava thanked glenda_al
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

I had a late lunch out after running errands - patty melt and fries. So no interest in any dinner. Although some Ellenos marionberry yogurt may hit the spot later - yum :-))

Ava thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • bengardening
    5 years ago

I made DH a hot turkey sandwich with dressing, I just made myself a sausage, onion and cheese omelette with salsa on top. It was really good.

Ava thanked bengardening
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

Oven roasted potatoes and panko coated pork chops. I could only eat about a third of the chop, too much for me!

Ava thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • georgysmom2
    5 years ago

Today was lunch and movie day. I had an appetizer of fried oysters and they were wonderful. After the movie I did some grocery shopping and had to stop at Home Depot for some light bulbs. I had a yearning for Chic-fil-A.....it's been years since I've had one and was going to pick up two sandwiches. Unfortunately, when I drove by, the line was so long I couldn't even pull in the parking lot. So much for that. We had pea soup and half an English muffin with melted cheese. Love that freezer!!!

Ava thanked georgysmom2
  • marilyn_c
    5 years ago

We had left overs. I made some rice and sliced and heated up the pot roast we had last night, because my husband loves rice and gravy, and he had that with carrots. I'm glad it's gone. (I gave the left overs to the dogs).

Ava thanked marilyn_c
  • amylou321
    5 years ago

I made myself a small filet mignon steak,fried in butter,and some broccoli, also with butter.

Ava thanked amylou321
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Gardengal, the only patty melt I ever have had or made is a thinish beef burger, smothered in grilled onions with melted gooey cheddar on toasted rye bread. ..is that what you had? I really like these and I'm not much of a meat eater. Yum

Today we had baked cod in butter topped with toasted bread crumbs, cole slaw, and red skin potatoes that I cut in half, wrapped in foil with some evoo, s&p and put on the grill, and green beans. No dessert but there's no bakes if someone wants a sweet.

Tomorrow it's grilled cheese and tomato soup. We're supposed to get up to 9 in of snow tomorrow with ice. So think I'll bake a cake.

Ava thanked mamapinky0
  • dedtired
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I went to a party and ate some appetizers, so dinner was Cheerios with sliced banana.

Ava thanked dedtired
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Soup instead of the salad I'd planned. It's too cold and wet outside for salad.

Ava thanked DawnInCal
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

mamapinky, that's pretty much exactly what I had except the melted cheese is Swiss, it included 1000 island dressing and the entire sandwich is grilled. I probably consumed an entire week's worth of calories in one meal but boy, was it good!! And it is not something I do very often.

There are not all that many casual dining places close to me that serve lunch that are not of some ethnicity. The one that had the patty melt is an old fashioned aluminum diner, like those back east and on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives (which this one was featured on years ago). Now and again, I will have breakfast/brunch there, rarely lunch. And when it's lunch, it is always the patty melt!

As I think about it, there is usually a single dish I order at each restaurant in the area I visit (except for breakfasts) - patty melt at one, French dip at another, a blue cheese burger at a third, etc. Always the same meal at the same place!! Guess I am unimaginative :-) Or just stick with what I know I like and they do a good job with!

• Ali
    5 years ago

Spanish rice casserole with ground beef and green beans tossed in.

Ava thanked Ali
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    5 years ago

Chicken tacos and quesadillas for dinner tonight. The chicken will be slowly simmered with some dried guajillo peppers from last season's garden. The peppers add a very savory flavor to poultry and pork and just a bit of heat.

We are going to a Chiefs watch party tomorrow and I'm planning to take some home made cocktail meatballs and a slab of Chinese style hoisin baby back ribs. It will be a challenge not to eat all of the ribs before we head to the party!

Ava thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • tjkeen
    5 years ago

Mine will be pizza with artichoke, chicken and feta. Was going to make lasagna to have leftovers, but alas, I have no noodles and don't feel like going to the store.

Ava thanked tjkeen
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

The salad we didn't have last night along with grilled chicken. A little rain won't stop us from bbqing!

Ava thanked DawnInCal
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

Hunkering down for the predicted ice event -- it has been raining or sleeting all day (snowing just a few miles north of me) and just above freezing at the moment, but it is supposed to drop a lot overnight and stay no warmer than the teens for the next 2 days. I made a big pot of pumpkin/chicken/peanut stew. I am craving some kind of baked good too but I am trying to resist -- I really put on too much weight the past couple of months.

Ava thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • marylmi
    5 years ago

I made a nice large chef's salad using turkey, and opened a bottle of Oregon plum wine . Delicious!

Ava thanked marylmi
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Change of plans. Hubby was rummaging around in the freezer looking for the chicken and came across a nice, big hunk of halibut. We bought it fresh off the boat a couple of months ago and I know it's delicious fish. I'm going to pan sear it and finish it off by roasting in the oven until done.

I like my fish more towards the well done side, so will give my piece a bit longer cooking time.

Ava thanked DawnInCal
  • always1stepbehind
    5 years ago

DD and I used a gift card for Romanos Macaroni Grill today...hadn't been there is years...it was surprisingly pretty good.

Ava thanked always1stepbehind
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    5 years ago

Today I loaded up the pressure cooker with taco soup with chicken breast meat. It was very good on a chilly day.

Ava thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • marilyn_c
    5 years ago

I sent Jody to the store for a chicken and some buttermilk.....I was going to make chicken and dumplings....which I do make often, because I love them, but he also brought some ham and swiss and suggested sandwiches...and I was glad to go along with that because it was time to feed the horses and the mud is so bad with all the rain we've had, and it takes me about an hour just to do that...if I am lucky. I was happy to get in the house and am already in bed. I hate winter. I wish I could hibernate until March.

Ava thanked marilyn_c
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

Marilyn_c, chicken and dumplings, made by my grandmother, was just about my favorite dish. I always asked for it for my birthday (which was in August, pre-air conditioning, so in hindsight I am sure Grandma wasn't completely happy to oblige LOL)

Ava thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • stacey_mb
    5 years ago

Yesterday I had a salad from McDonald's, which was surprisingly tasty. One of the greens in the mixture was especially delicious. Today it's lentil soup that is in the slow cooker now, and will go with veggie sandwiches. One of my favorite sandwiches, I use cream cheese on the bread and avocado, tomato, cucumber and alfalfa sprouts as a filling.

Ava thanked stacey_mb
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

When I lived in Tennessee a friend of the family made chicken and dumplings a lot. Soooo good. She made the rolled out dumplings. Very similar to Cracker Barrels chicken and dumplings which I LOVE.

This morning I made meatballs and put them in the oven to cook. Started a big soup pot of spaghetti sauce. Once the meatballs were done I added them to the sauce to simmer, low and slow. So today it's spaghetti, a small salad with what veggies are left in the frig, and maybe I'll make garlic toast. I used a 18 quart soup pot that filled almost to the brim so I'll freeze in dinner sized containers. So much more economical to do when there's a bigger family.

Ava thanked mamapinky0
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

It sounds good, what time is dinner?

I'm not sure making a large batch costs less than a small one. If you make a quadruple recipe, using 4 times as much as normal, using 4 times as much of each ingredient, then freeze the 3 extra batches, won't 4 batches in total cost the same as doing one batch 4 times?

Ava thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • schoolhouse_gw
    5 years ago

I cooked stuffed green peppers in the crock pot yesterday, having the leftovers tonight again for supper, with mashed potatoes on the side.

Ava thanked schoolhouse_gw
  • marilyn_c
    5 years ago

Stacy, those sandwiches sound good!

Mama, I make the fluffy kind of dumplings. I guess it is what you grew up with, and that is the kind my mother made. I don't use a recipe....just make them like I make buttermilk biscuits.

Ava thanked marilyn_c
  • irma
    5 years ago

Today just before lunch time, a neighbor dropped off a stir-fried vegetable rice dish. Oh, my goodness, it is so good and unlike any I've had before. It was seasoned superbly with - I'm not sure what, but I think I detected cumin. I will have the rest for dinner tonight. I definitely want the recipe.

Ava thanked irma
  • DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Funny, I was just saying to hubby the other day that it's been a long time since we've had dumplings. I've never eaten at Cracker Barrel, so I don't know what their C & D is like. I make the type Marilyn mentioned and drop them into the liquid to cook. Whatever way you have them, they are so good and satisfying especially on a cold winter day!

Is your liquid thin like a broth or thicker like a gravy?

Ava thanked DawnInCal
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

I also love chicken and dumplings and make mine with fluffy Bisquick dumplings. And the liquid is thin on mine (really just the chicken broth) but the addition of the dumplings thickens it nicely. I haven't made these for a long time - last winter? Time to put on the tentative menu plan :-)

I have never even seen a Cracker Barrel restaurant!! I don't think they have any in my area. And I am not wild about most chain restaurants anyway.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Yes Elmer, but than factor in the fuel costs to use the oven than stove top for hours. So it's really fuel and time I'm saving.

By the way dinner is at 6...your welcome at my table.

Ava thanked mamapinky0
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

I had pork stroganoff with wide egg noodles and green peas. I love stroganoff with peas, even if it's with ground beef and rice. Today, it's tuna melts thanks to Michael McKean's show Food: Fact or Fiction. He had an episode about tuna melts, and I found a can of tuna in the back of the cupboard.

Ava thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • cooper8828
    5 years ago

I'm doing ribs in the oven. It got too windy today for the smoker, but they will still be good.

Like mamapinky, I make huge batches of meatballs and sauce then freeze in dinner-sized portions. It is a huge time-saver to just pull some out of the freezer and reheat while the pasta boils. And of course now I want spaghetti and meatballs!

Ava thanked cooper8828
  • Ava
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Is the chicken and dumplings stewed chicken or a chicken stew with veggies? I have never eaten at Cracker Barrel.

• catticusmockingbird
    5 years ago

Last night: Trader Joe's chicken shawarma, tzatziki, sautéed spinach, mashed butternut squash, naan.

Tonight: penne & Swiss chard, spicy mango & jalapeno chicken meatballs, salad

Ava thanked catticusmockingbird
  • User
    5 years ago

I did a roast chicken and garden salad

Ava thanked User
  • Ava
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jasdip, that looks perfect. I think food is difficult to photograph.

• Jasdip
    5 years ago

Ava, I have a terrible time taking good food pics. The cooking forum and the Facebook group I belong to (which this one was in), most of the time my food has a yellowish tinge, even in natural light, and never crisp and clear. I never post chilis, jambalayas, that type of food, it looks more like dog food in the photo! LOL

Ava thanked Jasdip
  • marilyn_c
    5 years ago

The chicken and dumplings at Cracker Barrel is a stewed chicken with the type of dumplings that are rolled out and cut....rather than a chicken stew that I would think would have vegetables in it.

Cracker Barrel has pretty good food for a chain. Good breakfast. I like their dressing, which they have a couple times a week with either chicken or turkey. They give you a lot of sides with most orders....too much food, really. I do like their green beans, and I like their biscuits, which are smaller than mine and not as fluffy, but they have a good taste.

Ava thanked marilyn_c
  • Terry
    5 years ago

Today will be leftover chili served over egg noodles.

Your pic does look magazine worthy, Jasdip. Do you think white balance or the color chosen on the camera setting has anything to do with how food photographs? ? ?

Ava thanked Terry
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

My sister had some family members over for dinner last night and she fixed Moroccan chicken with couscous. It was delicious!! Boneless chicken thighs cooked with a lot of spices, chickpeas, green olives, lemon juice and mint - not spicy but extremely flavorful! A simple spinach salad to go with.

The best part was dessert.......and this was a new one for me - frozen bananas! You freeze very ripe (too ripe to use for just about anything else) bananas without the peels until hard as a rock. Then remove to room temp just long enough to allow them to thaw slightly - so you can easily break them into chunks. Put in a food processor or blender and smoosh to a creamy, smooth consistency and refreeze. That's it. Serve as you would ice cream. Tasted exactly as banana ice cream does but no added cream or eggs or sugar. It was amazing and I am not a huge fan of banana flavor (do not care for banana cream pie at all). She did add a small dollop of chocolate sauce over the top when serving, which didn't hurt :-)

What a fast and easy and simple dessert!!

• Ava
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I can almost picture mamap and Elmer sharing a meal of spaghetti and meatballs and the wine Elmer brought. Lol

• bob_cville
    5 years ago

Tonight I made pan seared pork tenderloin medallions in a dijon cream mushroom sauce, with oven roasted potatoes (yukon gold and sweet potatoes) and steamed fresh spinach.

Ava thanked bob_cville
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Ava, LOL.

Tonight we had country fried steak with the white country gravy, whipped potatoes, peas, and applesauce. I didn't eat as I don't care for this but had been promising the family to make it. Glad that's over with for 6 months. Lol.

The boys ask for tomato soup and grilled cheese tomorrow so that's what I'll make. Gonna be a 2 hour delay (school) tomorrow as temp with windchill is now -7. Good day for soup and grilled cheese. If I don't get out tomorrow for some groceries this will be our last meal....LOL jk. I have enough soup and sauce in the freezer for awhile, but that's about it.

Ava thanked mamapinky0
Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!