SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Weekend Cold Blast for January 19-20, 2019

Since we're looking at what is beginning to seem like a significant cold event that will impact plants in the ground, I decided to start a separate thread here to discuss it. That way, the weather discussion won't turn the weekly discussion thread into a huge long monster, and that might keep us from getting too bogged down.

I'm going to see if I can link the Capital Weather Gang's discussion of the weather here. Hopefully it won't disappear behind a pay wall.

Polar Vortex and our Weather

You know, I've only been thinking about the cold in terms of how it impacts the green plants so far. I don't think any of our perennials are in danger, but marginally hardy plants that have too much green growth on them thanks to the recent heat might lose a lot or even all of the above-ground growth. Still, some plants will persist. My autumn sages aren't blooming this winter like they usually do, but they remain green. I doubt that will change this weekend unless we go a lot lower than our forecast low of 18. They've already survived low temps as low as 15 (in November) and 18 (in December) and all it did was turn some of the green foliage purplish. Obviously foolish reseeding annuals that have sprouted will freeze.

One thing I haven't given much thought to until now is the massive rain puddles still on the ground from all the recent rain. Our driveway still has large puddles. I wonder if the tops of them will freeze over on Saturday night? We could have a slip-n-slide right in our own driveway....not that we are planning on going out in the cold weather if we can avoid it.

I am pretty sure these temperatures will freeze the fig trees down to the ground---there's just no way around that. Fortunately they regrow well, though sometimes slowly, after freezing back.

For anyone with garlic in the ground, as long as your soil drains well and your garlic was planted at the right depth, it is incredibly winter hardy and can survive temperatures as low as 30 degrees below zero. So, you might lose green top growth, but the cloves should put out new growth again after we warm up. This cold actually is good for the garlic---the plants need cold in order to be able to form bulbs later on, which is why we plant our garlic in the fall in the first place. If you have green parsley plants in the ground, you may want to cover them if you expect to drop lower than 10 degrees. I don't plan to cover mine because our forecast is for 18-20, but I do reserve to change my mind if it seems like temperatures are likely to drop lower than forecast.

I have a Pride of Barbados plant (Caesalpinia pulcherrima) in a pot that is only reliably cold hardy to zone 8 temperatures and this is the one plant I will bring into either the mudroom or the sunroom (I could put a small tomato cage around it to keep the cats out of the pot, maybe). Many people in OK grow this plant in the ground, but they must have warm microclimates. I have a cold microclimate and it is hard to keep a zone 8 plant alive in the ground here for more than 3 or 4 years at the most. Eventually a cold winter event gets them, which is why this one is in a large container (but not so large that I cannot pick it up and bring it indoors). This plant has been enjoying the relatively warm winter and is trying to bud and leaf out, but the colder weather we're expecting should quash that even though I will bring the plant indoors at night. Other than that, I just don't have big plans to try to protect plants. I'd do more if this was going to be one shot of cold air, but the forecast makes me think we will have recurring cold blasts over the last month or more. The one Arp rosemary I have in a large urn-shaped container probably ought to be brought indoors, but it is exceptionally heavy. The Arp in the raised bed probably will be okay.

For some parts of OK, it looks like the weekend blast of cold air, and either cold rain or snow or some mixture thereof will be followed almost immediately by more snow around the Tuesday time frame. It looks the winter weather finally is arriving.

So, we can discuss the weather here. How we're protecting our plants. What's worth doing...what isn't.

I'm guessing if anybody in OK was getting planting fever and wanting to start sticking plants in the ground, that planting fever will die this weekend.

Dawn

Comments (17)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional