SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

January 2019, Week 5, The Longest Month

Could January hurry up and get on out of here already? It seems like this one month has lasted 300 days already.

With more blasts of cold weather coming this week, I'm still not feeling particularly ambitious garden-wise.

Our weather is misbehaving. Most nights we are dropping six to eight degrees lower than our forecast low temperature. It is true this morning already: our point forecast low for Sunday morning for our specific location is 33 degrees. Here we are only about 90 minutes after midnight and it already is 28 degrees at our house. All I've learned from the January weather is to not trust the forecast. Well, not that I trust it much anyway.

I do not have any big gardening plans for indoors or outdoors this week. Well, my main plan is to avoid buying any more seeds because I certainly do not need any more.

The stores here are now full-bore into winter gardening, with all the usual seed-starting stuff, packaged bulbs, tubers, corms and bare root plants, fruit trees, roses, etc. I'm still not feeling it. I just don't see the point in trying to plant into mudville in this cold weather. At least we have no rain in our forecast for the next 7 days so I hope that means all our big mud puddles/small lakes maybe will finally dry up. For the most part, we've had them virtually nonstop since September. I'd like to be able to walk outdoors without dragging in a bunch of mud on my boots or shoes. At least our mudroom is living up to its name this year....it is catching all the mud for us and hoarding it out there along with the leaves, gravel, etc. that stick to muddy shoe and boot soles. Even if I sweep it daily, it always seem to have more mud and dirt accumulated within hours.

What is everyone up to this week? Got any gardening plans? I'm definitely on slow-down mode in terms of even thinking about planting. Nothing, and I mean nothing, grows well in our clay, not even in raised beds, when it is so heavily saturated with water and when it has been that way for months. So I feel like I am playing the waiting game with the weather, and it is not a fun game to play.

Dawn

Comments (63)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting