SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Sub Zero 42" SXS vs FD - help me decide!

ostrich
5 years ago

In another thread, I mentioned that I might get the Jenn Air 42" built-in FD fridge, but I think that I am leaning towards the SZ now!

However, I am not totally sold on the 42" FD by SZ. While the fridge compartment is nice, the freezer compartment only has this big wire basket, and a shallower basket sitting on top with the ice maker on the left. It seems pretty basic to me! Also, what if you drop stuff through those large basket holes and then you cannot retrieve it easily on the bottom of the freezer?

On the other hand, while the 42" side by side seems to make sense to me, I do worry that the narrower fridge and freezer will not allow me to put big items like platters etc in there. That said, I really like how the freezer may be better organized with many door pockets (which the FD does not have at all in the freezer!). I also like that the freezer is relatively larger than a FD fridge, because I ran out of freezer space in my previous FD fridge, but I never really had a full fridge compartment before. However, with the side by side, one will have to bend down to get to the lower trays in the fridge.

If it makes any difference, the SXS here is about $1,100 cheaper than then FD!

I have searched the many threads talking about SXS vs FD.... but I would love to hear more from those who have had experiences with these 42" SZ BI series fridges, to tell me more about what you love and do not love about your 42" SZ fridges, and if you would buy the same style (FD vs SXS) again!! Thank you.

Comments (13)