SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbie1000

Can you help "De-Tuscan-ize" my bathroom?

debbie1000
5 years ago

We updated our 1988 master bath in 2005-I loved it-back then. Realtor friend said "this bath will sell the house." Too bad I wasn't interested in selling.

So Tuscan is completely out. Our Santa Cecilia granite (which I really liked in 2005) stays along with the cabinets, flooring, all the major stuff.

Any specific items to make it more contemporary? I've replaced our cabinet hardware- (it's a start, right?) I will paint the trim white (to match the rest of the house which has been done). The baseboard was recently done also.

Also want new mirrors, lighting, towel racks, all will be changed out to contemporary. Faucets will be changed out (hopefully) in a week or so-have already bought them. They will remain brushed nickel to match our shower fixtures.

The walls were faux painted which I loved and now hate. Any recommendations on paint color? I'm not sure if I want a very light gray/greige or a very light beige. We have a row of five beige switches (the "fancy" kind that are a PIA to switch out) so I am wondering if beige paint might clash--or do I just ignore that?

This is a large bath, the rug is 5X7. Any recommendations on changing that out would also be appreciated.

One other thing--the trim around the shower that looks white but is a crappy mildewy gray--is travertine. It is a giant PIA. Can this be removed and changed out to a porcelain that matches? Could this be a DIY job? It seems too small for a pro.

Thanks for any suggestions and I hope the photos will show up!

Comments (12)