SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chloebud

Split Pea Soup With Ham

chloebud
5 years ago

Just made a pot of this tasty soup. The recipe's from The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook with some tweaking. For starters, I use all stock vs. part water/part stock. I've also made it without the tarragon or spinach and don't notice much difference. The sherry's nice but totally optional.

Split Pea Soup With Ham

1 pound dried green split peas
6 cups chicken stock (preferably low sodium)

4 cups water
1 meaty smoked ham shank (I buy a shank that's around 1.75 lbs., give or take)
2 ribs celery, leaves included, diced
3 T. chopped fresh Italian parsley
1/2 tsp. crumbled dried tarragon leaves
4 T. butter
1 cup diced peeled carrots
1 cup diced onion
1 leek (white part only), rinsed and sliced
1 cup slivered fresh spinach leaves
2 T. dry sherry
1/2 tsp. pepper

Rinse peas in a strainer and then combine them with the stock and water in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil.

Add the ham shank, celery, 1 T. of parsley and tarragon. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for about an hour.

Melt butter in saucepan over medium-low heat. Add carrots, onion and leek. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook until veggies are wilted, about 10 minutes. Add them to the soup pot, along with the spinach. Simmer, partially covered, about another hour. Longer cooking = more flavor.

Remove soup from heat. Remove ham shank and shred meat from bone, removing any excess fat. Return meat to the soup.

Add sherry, pepper, and remaining 2 T. parsley. Taste for seasoning; salt is usually not needed due to the salt in the ham. Heat through and serve immediately. For reheating: The soup will thicken quite a bit when chilled but will thin out when reheated. It also freezes well.

Took this photo awhile ago...

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor