SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
m111675

Hardie Plank Siding - Smooth or Wood Grain (Cedarmill) finish?

m111675
5 years ago

Which finish do you prefer for hardie plank siding - smooth or wood grain? I prefer smooth, but unfortunately our contractor put up the wood grain (cedar mill) finish. Not sure whether worth it to change it for the smooth. From a distance, I've been told you can't tell the difference. Up close you can see the difference. It is primed, ready for painting (to be painted white), on a new house. Maybe keep portions of the house wood grain (like the back of the house and portions of the 2nd floor on the side) and replace the front with the smooth - all painted in the same white paint? Don't want it to look like a mistake though. Any advantages of the wood grain painted on site versus the smooth painted on site hardie plank? Trying to convince myself to like the wood grain, but if I had been asked, would have picked smooth from the start. Any disadvantages of smooth painted on site hardie plank? Any photos showing those disadvantages would be helpful too. Stuck - don't know what to do -- keep wood grain hardiplank or replace portions of it with smooth or replace all of it with smooth. What do you think? Any guidance/advice would be appreciated on this!

Comments (3)