SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liptonjl

Does anyone have Hardi Plank siding?

liptonjl
16 years ago

Can I see photos of what it looks like? I have been hearing some good things from friends but I'd like to see some "real life photos"

Comments (55)

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

Nice copper z-bar flashing above your windows + door,sandyponder.
    Lifetime flashing for sure.Nice House!

• kats
    16 years ago

fishpants

Thanks so much for the compliment. Those pics were taken almost 3 weeks ago and so much has been done since then. ETA is June.
    I'm heading up there this evening so hopefully there will be enough light left for my camera. Then I can post my own thread of pictures. Something I haven't done in a very long time!!!

• Related Discussions

Anyone Used Monterey Taupe Hardi Plank Siding?

Q

Comments (16)
    You'll save initially buying pre-finished siding, but it will cost in the long run. Proper installs require caulking that will need touched up with pre-finished along with the bumps and bruises that happen with shipping/delivery, installers, and other various trades. Touching up areas and trying to match it all up are difficult at best. Imo, it's cleaner and more reliable to have an on site finish applied by reputable painters.
    ...See More

Hardie Plank & insurance...same coverage as vinyl siding??

Q

Comments (10)
    You really don't want an insurance agent that doesn't understand buildings. It's part of their job to be knowledgeable about the things that affect premiums. Even if Allstate doesn't give a discount for cement board siding, the industry in general does give one, and the agent should know that. Consider shopping your insurance needs around.
    ...See More

HardiePlank siding on floors-- Looks like concrete!

Q

Comments (1)
    Interesting idea...I like the unusual and inventive in flooring alternatives. I would think that HardiePanel would be susceptible to powdering if used as a walking surface. However, if it was sealed with a quality waterborne, clear nonyellowing floor finish (either permanent or sacrificial), it might make for an attractive and serviceable walking surface. As with any flooring project, you must start with a flat, sound and smooth substrate.
    ...See More

hardi plank or vinyl siding

Q

Comments (8)
    Hardiplank siding is actually easier to install than vinyl---you can cut it with a circular saw and $2 carbide tipped blades from Harbor Freight or Cummins Tools---the cheaper the blade the better. Two blades can easily cut all the siding needed for a 1,000 sq. ft. single story house. A metal cutting blade in a jig saw completes the cutting tools---but that makes a LOT of dust. Or you could buy/rent the electric shears designed for the stuff---about $275 or so to buy and no dust. It does take a minimum of two people to hang Hardiplank---while one person can install vinyl. I spent five years teaching HfH volunteers how to install both types---it took an hour to get folks in the flow with vinyl and 30 minutes for Hardiplank. We used screrws to install Hardiplank---there are now nailers that are desicned for both types. If you replace any siding, you will be money ahead later by replacing it all on the same job.
    ...See More
  • mikeyvon
    16 years ago

in regards to pre-painted hardi siding; we really like the look of the stained wood (like zone 8 grandmas) but we can only get the hardy plank primed, not pre finished. Will we be able to get a look of real stained wood painting it afterwards?

thanks
    michael

• zone_8grandma
    16 years ago

michael,
    Thank you. I don't know the answer to your question, but hopefully one of the many knowledgeable folks here will.
    Ours has two tones in it which is what makes it appear realistic. I was told that could only be accomplished in the factory. I'm just repeating what I was told, however.

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

Hey mikeyvon, if you dont have luck with a hardie contact,try some painters in your area that are custom oriented. They can do things like grainig on materials other than wood and use custom staing techniques, though it might get kinda pricy. Im told there are many creative and talented people in your area, and is something even an artist might consider. Same with concrete, they are doing some amazing staing,texturing,stamping work with concrete these days.Good Luck!

• mikeyvon
    16 years ago

Sierraeast,

I have found on here some pictures of stained hardiplank and it looks great. I also did some google searches and it looks like staining works well. I will most likely go the staining route. This will be a diy job, so I will be the one who will get creative. I have many artists friends, but usually they have no clue lol.

• bridget helm
    16 years ago

I love hardi. I much prefer the look of hardiplank over vinyl siding. the picture is from far, so may not be of any help. also, it's not painted yet.

one thing that's neat about hardi is that you can get the grain texture or you can go with smooth. I like them both. I think they even have a beaded board style.

my summary: Hardi looks real and is solid.

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Here's ours (painted on site) with 6" reveal and a tiny bit of fish scales or scallops also in Hardiboard:

This photo is missing the upper shutters, but you can see the Hardi better:

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Kats, I can't wait to see more photos! The roof is going to be fantastic!

Fishpants & Sandyponder, I *love* those bold colors!

Jojoco, I've always loved your house and now it looks even better with the landscaping in!

• mikeyvon
    16 years ago

hoosiergirl,

wow!!! great looking house. I love the lookout/gazebo and the bell tower.

bmh - yours looks great also.

I cannot wait until we start diggin dirt.

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Thanks, Mikeyvon! We love it!

Once you start diggin', hold on to your hat 'cause it's quite a ride! Good luck with your build!

• bebetokids
    16 years ago

Just wanted to say to everyone who has posted pics in this thread that ya'll have some beautiful, beautiful homes. I cannot wait to see more pics from all!

• jr1318
    16 years ago

mikeyvon,
    There is a product called wood perfect by masons select, I attached link, it is a semi transparent wood coating that I used and from 5 feet away you cant tell my siding and trim is not real wood. Sorry I have no pictures to post or I would

Here is a link that might be useful: wood perfect

• home_nw
    16 years ago

kats, fishpants, sandyponder, jojoco, bmh4796, hoosiergirl, zone8_grandma - - You all have really lovely houses! Looks like being on this forum is almost a guarantee for a great home. :-)

As a variation on a theme, ours is "HardiShingle" prefinished by a company called Weiss in a custom paint color. They'll paint any color you like. They also pre-stain. We got the individual shingles. They cost less than the shingle panels, but labor is more. However, we would have wasted so much material with the panels due to all the cuts that this worked out better for us.

The parts of our house that still say "Tyvek" will get El Dorado stone one of these days!

{{gwi:1415453}}

• mikeyvon
    16 years ago

jr1318,

thanks for the link. the stuff looks great. how does it hold up? have you had it long? I have read that stain does well on fiber cement also.

michael

• kats
    16 years ago

home_nw,

I hadn't seen a pic of your home before. It is absolutely stunning!

• mikeyvon
    16 years ago

wow, i did not even really look. home_nw, your home is stunning. your location looks awesome as well.

• juniork
    16 years ago

home_nw:

You were talking about the Hardi-plank shingles...did you price them out in comparison to regular shingles? How do they compare in price? Thanks! Absolutely beautiful home, btw...love ALL the pix here!

• jr1318
    16 years ago

mikeyvon,
    the manufacturer give a seven year warranty on self applied, si far looks real good, I preapainted before install, and so far the finish seems very tough especially against abrasion.

• home_nw
    16 years ago

Kats, mikeyvon, and juniork, thanks for your nice comments on our house. :-) Like so many here, I've been planning our house for years. It's hard to believe it's becoming real! Every house posted here is spectacular - - each in a different way.

I love the shape of your house, kats. Looks perfect for relaxing outside with some privacy and with protection from wind. All your porches are wonderful too. Is that a balcony upstairs?

Juniork, we're trying to build our house to be as maintenance-free as possible, so we never priced cedar shingles, although we think they're lovely.
    - We paid a little over $400 per square for the individual HardiShingles, pre-painted by Weiss (25-year warranty), delivered. (Unpainted, they would have been closer to $250 per square, I think.) One square of the individual HardiShingles takes 210 pieces. Pieces come in three widths (6", 8", and 12"), and are 18" tall. They are mounted with 8" exposed.
    - By comparison, the HardiShingle panels cost around $475 per square, unpainted. They're 48"x16" and are mounted with 7" exposed. One square takes 43 pieces, but there's a whole lot more waste if you've got a lot of cutting to do. (We did!)

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

GORGEOUS home & setting, Home_nw! I agree with Kats: it is STUNNING!

• Linda
    16 years ago

$475 PER SQUARE???? Isnt this stuff the "norm" for the southern areas?

• home_nw
    16 years ago

hoosiergirl, thanks so much! Your home is gorgeous too. I love all your special features - - they really add to the overall appeal. By the way, I want to thank you for posting a photo of your mud bench on another thread. After seeing yours and kygirl99's, I was inspired to have our builder make one for us too. It's not exactly the same as yours or hers, but definitely shows your influence. Thank you! :-)

linda117, I don't believe the shingle style is the norm for southern areas. I think it's generally considered more of a northern style since it mimics cedar shingles. I'm not sure why the HardiShingle panels are so expensive - - probably cost more to make. Also, $475 per square is approximate only. I agree with you, it is high!

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Well I'm glad that I was able to help in some small way, Home_nw! I hope you update us with pics -- I can't wait to see your home finished!

• alfzampi
    16 years ago

Hi
    Building a new house.Using hardi plank.When I called James Hardi with questions about paint, i could never get a person to talk to only to leave a message.Three times I left messages,never to be returned.VERY BAD support.$82 a square from Lowes unpainted,$182 a square factory painted.Using with stone.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

We purchased ours unpainted, but I'll have to ask my DH where he purchased and how much he paid for it. We are in southern Louisiana.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

I checked with DH and he said we paid $100.00 for 100 sq. ft. primed, but unpainted. Purchased from a local lumber yard.

• pinkpowertools
    16 years ago

home nw,
    Your House looks great!
    I am trying to pick the siding style and color for our house and have been looking at Hardi Shingles or Maibec real cedar shingle panels. I like the color of your house. Can you tell me what paint or stain color that is? It looks like a taupe in the photo. Is your trim pure white?

• home_nw
    16 years ago

pinkpowertools, what a great name! Thanks for your nice words about our house. You're right, the color is similar to taupe. We tried to pick a color that would blend into the natural landscape around us and not show too much dirt.

Weiss sent us paint samples on HardiShingle and we picked one called "Cashmere," even though we thought it didn't look at all like the "Cashmere" in their brochure. Turns out it was some custom color that someone had mistakenly labeled "Cashmere"! Weiss, bless their hearts, sold it to us anyway, and named the color "Danny's Cashmere." (Hmmm, s'pose Danny was the one who mislabeled the sample??)

You're also right that our trim is all pure white. It's mostly Azek, plus some Fypon/CDM pieces (low maintenance!) and is being painted with a Benjamin Moore 50-year paint (again, low maintenance).

Good luck on your build! What stage of building are you in?

Here is a link that might be useful: Weiss colors

• ideamom
    16 years ago

If anyof you are acting as GC please tell me what trade typically installs the hardi siding? I haven't been able to find anyone to give me a bid for the install of the Hardi Board siding.

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Ideamom, we didn't act as the GC, but our framers put up the Hardi-plank. I have heard that you need to go with someone that has experience with it, as it's not cut or installed the same as wood or other products. Good luck and hope that helps a bit!

• pinkpowertools
    16 years ago

Home NW, Thanks for the info and link to Weiss. Your right, the Cashmere paint chip online is very different from your custom color "Danny's Cashmere" more of a yellow.

We also plan to use Azek and other PVC or molded wood trim for low maintenance. I am just starting to get samples of colors and materials.

Our house is not new construction but an extensive remodel. We will be changing the entire look of the house, remodeling 2 baths, master bathroom/dressing room, kitchen, new Laundry/ pantry area, adding on several additions to create a mudroom, more garage storage and an office/ guest room. We are in the final drawing phase with the architect and have put the initial drawings out for bid. I am hoping these last changes will be closer to our budget and then we can finalize things with our GC. I would love to get the new foundations started this summer and have the framing done by end of September. We will have a place to stay for four months starting in November but we want to be here as long as possible.

Anyway, there have been days we thought about tearing the whole thing down. I don't think I will know which would be better till it's all done :)

• rachelh
    16 years ago

ideamom, our framer will be installing the Hardie as well

• home_nw
    16 years ago

Ideamom - Just like rachelh, our framer installed our Hardie too.

Pinkpowertools - Good luck on the remodel! Sounds like it should be nice when it's all done.

• texasgirl_06
    16 years ago

Here is ours....

Here is a link that might be useful: The Woolsey's

• kats
    16 years ago

home_nw,

I love the shape of your house, kats. Looks perfect for relaxing outside with some privacy and with protection from wind. All your porches are wonderful too. Is that a balcony upstairs?

Sorry I didn't answer your question earlier, I just came back to the post. Yes, it is a balcony. Orginally it was supposed to go to the end of the porch roof line. We asked the architect to do this but like several things we wanted he said he submitted correctly to permits but really never did. Anyway, it's off our gameroom and I wanted a place for people to go outside to smoke or play cards on a nice evening. From that side of the house (south facing) we get a view of mountains, our beautiful glen, and the city lights.

• nutherokie_gw
    16 years ago

Soonermagic, I'm a long-time gawker who has to de-lurk to tell you how much I love your house! It is just beautiful and so charming. I'm in OKC and as you know almost all new construction here is brick. It's nice to see a new home as lovely and individual as yours. You've given me inspiration for the country farmhouse I've been contemplating.

• Happykate
    16 years ago

fishpants, would you please be kind enough to share your Hardi siding color/paint/stain? It looks just great, as does the rest of the house! (I really like your window trim, too.)

• soonermagic
    16 years ago

Okie - Thanks for the compliment. I DO know what you mean. Every new home here in Oklahoma looks practically the same, brick with front garages. We did a tear down in the neighborhood surrounding OU, so we made a concerted effort to try to make our home blend in with the neighborhood. We want it to look as if it could have been there since the 1940s and not completely out of place.

Folks in the neighborhood and around town now think that all we did was renovate an existing house and forget that we actually bulldosed it. I think that indicates that we are at least close to achieving our goal of blending in with an old neight as best we could with a brand new house.

• deanbrent
    16 years ago

Are there other brands then Hardi Plank that are less expensive and just as good?

• buzzsaw
    16 years ago

Deanbrent,

Sure hard to get much cheaper materials than fiber cement regardless of brand (Certainteed, JH, etc.). Pre-finished prices are just over $1/sq ft, unfinished are under $1/sq ft. Vinyl siding - about as cheap as you can get is $0.50-ish/sq ft - unless you use sheet goods. Brick, stucco, log, etc. are all multiple dollars/sq ft.

• txcat
    16 years ago

Texasgirl 06 - I love your home. You must be near east tx with all those pines. What kind of wood are your cabinets made of. They are lovely.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Here is ours, just pre primed, no paint yet.

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

Soonermagic, I agree, your home is *so* CHARMING! I love it!!!

• fishpants
    16 years ago

happykate- we had ours done in the 'new pilgrim red' option before delivery. We're really happy with how it looks. Still not quite done however, since it's been so windy off and on. The siding sub hasn't wanted the material to get busted in the gusts, etc. or worse, knock one of his crew off the lift they've been using.

• amparo111_hotmail_com
    14 years ago

I will be putting Hardi plank siding up in less than a month. I live in the middle of a woods. I want to blend two different shades of paint. Gray primer(dry) than (light green first...(dry) than a gray over it,(dry) and possible another charco gray lightly to give depth to the cedar mill. Pain staking but I got time and I want my house to blend with the woods surroundings. Could someone please guide me on how to do it right. Thanks!

• Sydnibug1
    10 years ago

soonermagic I am in love with your paint color, could you please share that with me?

• Angela McDaniel
    4 years ago

Soonermagic...Which Hardie Plank Siding color did you go with? It's gorgeous. Is it Monterey Taupe?

• RES, architect
    4 years ago

12 year old thread. Few if any of these members are still active.