SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto

Painting upper kitchen cabs--what can I do to make DIY a success

melle_sacto
5 years ago

I have been a Kitchen Design reader for years and years and have read about how painting kitchen cabs is a ton of work and may not be a good idea etc, but I think I'm going to be depressed working in the kitchen of the house we bought if I don't at least paint the uppers and cheer the space up.
The cabinet doors of the uppers are a style I would never have chosen, like I'm considering just taking them off and not using them (but I know that I'm not on top of the dusting so that's not practical). They are face-framed KraftMaid Cathedral Arch... probably Maple in a color called Acorn or Butternut, sort of cinnamon. The window has matching wood blinds and the garage and pantry doors were refaced with the same cinnamon Maple veneer.
It's too much! I don't think painting the wall will be enough because there is hardly any wall space, between the maximization of wall cabs and full height unappealing but functional granite backsplash...
Please link me to the threads with best painting tips. I think the most I can hope for is some type of boho/eclectic space that has a cheery feel, and to to minimize the Tuscan/cinnamon/bossy granite in your face effect. Something to get by for the next 10 years because the kitchen is in pretty good shape otherwise.

Comments (11)