SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

Driving to California next month

Kathsgrdn
5 years ago

We will be in Monterey for about 4 days. I'm thinking of doing one touristy thing while we are there, other than basic sightseeing. Me and my adult kids. I thought about either going whale watching or doing a walking food tour of the city. Any other suggestions? I found a restaurant in Carmel that serves whole dungeous crab!!! So will probably go there for one of those days.

Comments (72)

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

There's misinformation in some of the comments.

Most importantly, I agree with sushipup - staying on Highway 1 north starting around San Luis Obispo will add a bunch of time to the trip. It is a pretty drive but maybe one to do another trip if time is limited. I echo her 5 to 46 to Paso Robles and thence 101 North as the fastest way to get to Monterey from the south. Turn off 101 toward Spreckels to drive through fields or in Salinas to get to Monterey. You can get a flavor of Big Sur by driving south from Monterey for a morning or afternoon drive, just get on Highway 1 south and continue going straight past Carmel.

LA is a big city with a lot of congestion. When coming up from San Diego, you need to plan on leaving the SD area mid morning and passing through LA around mid-day/early afternoon to avoid rush hour traffic. Use Waze or Google maps navigation for advice on what segments of what freeways to take, there are many permutations available and no one way is always best. Sometimes staying on 5 to and through downtown is better than the 405, though there's road construction east of Downtown right now. It depends on the day. I've made the drive from here to nearly the border and back a half dozen times in the past 3 months (and many dozens of times in past years) and this has been my experience.

(The intersection of 405 and 101 isn't around LAX as someone said, it's about 20 miles north of there in the San Fernando Valley)

The normal speed limit is 65, on freeways and roads of limited access. If it's 65, you can safely drive 70-72 without worry of a ticket. There are stretches of freeway outside of urban areas where the speed limit is 70, including parts of 101 between NorCal and SoCal and Interstate 5 North from (and south to) Grapevine to past where I get turn off, maybe to Stockton and then again after Sacramento. However, outside of peak hours in SoCal and seemingly especially in San Diego County, if you're going 70 in one of the middle lanes, people will be flying by you on both your left and your right. On interstate 5 through the San Joaquin Valley, the speed limit (as I said) is 70 and 80+ is normal in the left hand lane.

Trip Adviser is a good resource for what to do and where to stay. Have a good trip, whenever it is.

Kathsgrdn thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We have all day to drive, is that not going to be enough time?

• Related Discussions

Driving to california soon.......

Q

Comments (3)
    Mike, i will probably have something for you to bring back for me....heck you know i have to jump on these oportunities... I am thinking maybe a butia or maybe a nice sized sago etc...I am gonna float around and see what i can come up with. but i will let you know for sure. Thanks again. brian
    ...See More

I'll be in Southern CA next month.........

Q

Comments (21)
    I checked the maps and found that Camp Pendleton is between Oceanside and San Clement, way north of San Diego. Will you be staying in San Diego or will you stay in Oceanside, which is where Camp Pendleton is located? I've only driven through Oceanside, either on my way to San Diego, Vista (to buy orchid cactus), or Anza-Borrego Desert State Park (great for camping/hiking in winter - too hot in summer). If you will be staying in Oceanside, I would recommend Trupianos Italian Restaurant, and otherwise, I would recommend that you do some research before choosing a place, since most of the restaurants there are chains. If you want sushi, try the fish joint. There's nothing adventurous in Oceanside, and so your family should be okay with whatever you find, if that's where you will be. If you go north to Laguna, you can get very adventurous, however, and it's closer to Camp Pendleton than San Diego is. If your family is like my parents, that would not be a good idea, however. You can get adventurous when you get to L.A. Surfas closes at 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, but you can view their inventory on line beforehand. Penzey's and TJ's are rather ubiquitous and therefore less of a draw, I think. You'll have a lot of choices for lunch and dinner here. I look forward to meeting you! Lars
    ...See More

My 2 month old computer needs a new hard drive!!

Q

Comments (9)
    Is it an HP? My son put 6 new hard drives in his HP laptop and they put in multiple motherboards in a 2 year period. It was a lemon from day one and I had to fight tooth and nail to get them to completely replace the computer. I kept escalating until they ran out of people to send me to - had a record of every call and the resulting lack of follow-up. I know every computer mfg has customers who love them and those who hate them. None of them are a bargain in the customer service arena as far as I'm concerned.
    ...See More

Win 8, Back-up Flash Drive and Scammers

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi there, off-centre, We got yer back, kid! How good that is, what with our rudimentary level of knowledge, computer-wise (well, somewhat reduced "wise", maybe) may be a matter worthy of some question. Thanks for the info. I had a call purportedly from a windows guy the other day, saying there was something wrong with my computer ... I asked him how he knew, without entering my computer uninvited, and he said they'd noticed there was something wrong ... ... was I at my computer? ... ... he could help me fix it. I told him that I was not at the computer ... ... and that my computer is not attached to the internet, whether by line, tower or satellite. That pretty well ended our conversation. Gonna have to change that, though, I think. ole joyful
    ...See More
  • sealavender
    5 years ago

If you are proposing driving the 1 or PCH the whole way, then no, a whole day will not do it. From Long Beach through Santa Monica, it's basically a surface street with heavy traffic. Taking the 5 to 46 will make it a lot quicker; it's very fast with a lot of big trucks, and the Grapevine area between LA and Bakersfield is subject to freezing/snow. I am also not a fan of the drive from the 5 to Paso Robles on the 46; miles of nothing, James Dean death site. The coastal route, 5 to 405 to 101, is not as fast but more scenic. Expect major congestion from Orange County through Thousand Oaks, though.

Kathsgrdn thanked sealavender
  • sushipup1
    5 years ago

From LaJolla to Monterey would be a long drive even if you don't go highway One. Also depends on the day of the week. If you can get a very early start on the weekend, you'll usually get north of LA pretty easily. Weekday? Time a mid-morning departure and pray that traffic isn't awful.

Kathsgrdn thanked sushipup1
  • Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for everyone's advice. Time before the last time I drove in that area was when my son was a toddler, it was a nightmare then and his father refused to drive out of the area after driving in to go to Disneyland. I'm not looking forward to it, at least around LA. Next time, my kids were older and I drove around Bakersfield after taking them to Sequoia National Park. I tried to stay away from the cities before heading East and home. I'm thinking of letting my daughter drive the first leg of the trip. We will be there right in the middle of the week.

• golfergrrl
    5 years ago

Just 1 caution to add. If you're going to come up 5, check the weather over the Grapevine. You don't want to get caught in snow / ice. We just came home from Palm Springs a couple days ago. We drove through LA and up 101. I averaged 70-75 the whole way. And no, I wasn't the fastest car on the road. You'll have plenty of time to come up 101, but not detouring to 1.

Kathsgrdn thanked golfergrrl
  • Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Golfergrrl, what is the Grapevine? I just realized Monterey and Big Sur are only an hour away from each other so we will just go on a day trip after my son graduates.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Nevermind, just watched a youtube video of it. lol.

• golfergrrl
    5 years ago

It's the nickname given to the part of 5 that transverses the Tejon Pass. It reaches an elevation of 1999 ft. It was actually closed today due to crashes caused by bad weather.Grapevine

Kathsgrdn thanked golfergrrl
  • wildchild2x2
    5 years ago

I agree with golfergrrl. Plus highway 5 is too boring and 101 offers more options.

This is our rainy season. The PCH itself is brutal in the northern portion just below Big Sur during the winter season. But the area between Pismo Beach (just 11 miles south of San Luis Obispo) and right off 101 and Cambria is beautiful and an easy drive. From Cambria you can cut back across to 101 for the rest of the trip up. It would be easier to drive back down to Big Sur from Monterey for a short day trip then to drive all the way up to it.

As for Monterey nobody should miss the Aquarium. If you decide to take a whale watching tour go with Monterey Bay Whale Watch Center. The red building at the very end of the wharf. Nancy Black runs an excellent tour. On weekends there are often various festivals near the main wharf.

Kathsgrdn thanked wildchild2x2
  • Ali
    5 years ago

That will be fun. I love visiting that area which is rarely. It has been so dull and dreary this year, I wish I was going with you.

Have a fun, safe trip.

Kathsgrdn thanked Ali
  • caflowerluver
    5 years ago

If you have time you might want to drive north of Monterey and see the whole Santa Cruz area.

Things to do in Santa Cruz

Kathsgrdn thanked caflowerluver
  • Jakkom Katsu
    5 years ago

Couple of tips, we go to Monterey/Carmel quite often:

1) Plan to hit the Aquarium AFTER 2p if you go weekdays. All the schoolkids pile back on to the schoolbuses and leave at 2p sharp. Don't miss the jellyfish on the second floor; the backlighting was an innovative technique pioneered by the MBAq to show the jellies off beautifully.

2) If you're going to Carmel, don't miss the beach, which is lovely; and if you're around on a Fri or Sat, make a reservation for Tor House, the marvelous stone home built by Robinson Jeffers, one of California's Poet Laureate: http://www.torhouse.org/tours/

Also, since you'll be in Monterey, don't miss the very finest French patisserie in an area full of pseudo-French bakeries - Parker-Lusseau Bakery. Their main store and bakery kitchen is at 731 Munras Ave., open only Wed-Sat. The smaller 539 Hartnell St. store is open longer hours, Mon–Sat. M. Lusseau makes true Parisian croissants:
    delicate, flaky, and so buttery you can eat them plain! His pastries and cakes
    are exceptional, too. We like to stop by for a quick lunch of the smoked tomato/goat cheese quiche (there's also a spinach and a Lorraine) and some properly made espresso.

Check the website before you visit; the main store is closed the month of January for some interior work, although the branch location reopens Jan. 15th after a 2 week winter break: http://www.parkerlusseau.com/

If you want to have a splurge night out, you can't do better than Montrio/Monterey. Reservations a necessity; it's extremely popular with locals. Chef Tony Baker is classically trained and a brilliant California cuisine chef - and don't miss his desserts, which are sensational. We prefer it to Passionfish/Pacific Grove et. al., although we love lunch at Lucia @Bernardus Resort, Carmel Valley.

I also vote for getting out of the LA Basin in the most efficient manner Wayz can manage, then cutting over through Paso Robles/Cambria to hit Hwy 1 (assuming weather cooperates and no road closures).

Should you need a break from driving, exactly halfway between Cambria and Carmel is the New Camaldoli Hermitage in Big Sur. It's about 10 min up in the hills above Hwy 1 - stunning views, with a small bookstore/gift shop and clean bathroom free for use. Note the hours: New Camaldoli Hermitage - visitors

Have a great time! Wonderful area, one of our favs.

Kathsgrdn thanked Jakkom Katsu
  • sprtphntc7a
    5 years ago

if u happen to eat dinner in Monterey, try Monterey's Fish House. it was absolutely delicious... a little ways off the touristy traps on the wharf.

locals go there. that's what i always look for when traveling "where do the locals go".

Kathsgrdn thanked sprtphntc7a
  • sushipup1
    5 years ago

Is that the place on Del Monte, near the NPGS? Tried it once, and it is good. It just wasn't on my radar.

• sprtphntc7a
    5 years ago

yes, that's the one! we went in 2014 and we loved it!!!

oops, sorry OP, just re-read your original post, and yes, you will be in Monterey for 4 days :-}

just and FYI if u do go, it looks uninviting on the outside, but inside its really nice... those blinds don't do anything for the appearance!

Kathsgrdn thanked sprtphntc7a
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

Just be aware that, in my experience, mapping apps will underestimate the travel time over a given distance. I think that they can't account for heavy traffic, slower speed limits in sections, and so forth.

I drove to Richmond VA for the World cycling championships in 2015 and my app told me it would take about 7 hours -- it took nearly 10, mostly because posted speed limits were lower than expected..

I used to drive from Encinitas to Agoura Hills (Interstate 5 to 405 to 101) in about 3 hours in the evening or on a weekend. Six hours to San Luis Obispo. That was 25 years ago.

I would suggest you could go up the coast road from La Jolla to Leucadia, then hop onto the 5 at La Costa Avenue ( it doesn't go through Camp Pendleton anyway) and take it to the 405 then to 101. I don't think that the Orange County coast is compelling enough to drive through get back off the 5, although if I had time to stop, I might for San Juan Capistrano and Laguna Beach.

Kathsgrdn thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

raee, I spent nearly a month in San Diego over several driving trips between Thanksgiving and now. I came back most recently last week. I disagree with your suggestion about the coast road north from La Jolla, also about the 405 through LA. For the first, even at the height of traffic northbound (which would be mostly missed if leaving 9-10 am), the coast road has lower speed limits, stop signs, and traffic lights. From La Jolla to Leucadia would be a heck of a slog. The freeway would almost always be better.

25 years ago, nav functions with real time traffic updates affecting routing weren't available. If you always went the same way, the likelihood is that many of those trips might have been better using different routes.

405 vs the 5 through LA? depends on the day and the time of day, as I said before. One of my trips back, my very reliable GPS with reliable real time traffic info recommended it. By when it was too late to change, there was an accident in Hawthorne that delayed me by about 45 minutes. Staying on the 5 through Anaheim, etc., would have been that much faster but I was just a few minutes too soon past that decision point to know. The other turn-offs to alternate routes had passed by the time I got stuck.

Navigation software? Yes, I think all have bad data of various kinds. Funny enough, all the nav app and hardware companies buy such data (from companies like Here, formerly Navteq) and there are only a few sellers of this so if one has a specific problem, others will too. Another issue is that for a long trip, some only update travel time for traffic problems that are relevantly nearby. If you're making a 300 mile drive, it doesn't help much to know as you leave home that there's an accident at mile 280 of your trip causing a delay. It's likely to be gone when you get near. Unless that's something a route change made early on would affect. I always double check with a glace at Google Map traffic info a few times through my trips.

Driving through LA in the evening is a good alternative instead of midday. Be sure not to leave SD too early and get clear of the metro area to the North or to the West.

• golfergrrl
    5 years ago

My car's NAV doesn't show traffic, so I use Google Maps. It tells you the fastest route. You can add extra stops. It shows all traffic and incidents. If there's a delay ahead of you, it will offer a re-route in real time. You can also use the "search this area" feature to find gas, restaurants, hotels, etc. The only thing is doesn't show is "cop ahead". LOL

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

A growing list of late model cars have compatibility with Android Auto and Apple Car Play. These apps use your smartphone as the brains to display and produce GPS functionality (Google Maps) on your car's screen. I've encountered many rental cars I can use this capability with. Using the app that corresponds to the phone you have (with the phone's USB cord) makes the functionality easier to use and displays on a larger screen. I expressly took a pass on a more expensive model of the latest car I bought (needed to have built in GPS) when I learned the model was compatible with an Android phone. It works very well, much better than the built in GPS on my wife's Toyota.

Cars with Android Auto

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I use Google maps too and it usually tells me about traffic issues. Someone told me to try another app, I did just out of curiosity and totally didn't steer me away from a completely blocked off interstate area due to construction. I went back to Google maps.

• roy4me
    5 years ago

If you have time while traveling up 101 I live in Nipomo, about 12 miles south of Pismo. We could have lunch there. My daughter lives and works there.

Hearst Castle is worth the time but may take several hours.

Hwy 1 is a beautiful but slow drive and with all the rain we are getting it may be closed due to mudslides.

If you can't stop for lunch, wave as you go by.

I am Carol in California .

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

I'm only just now looking, I but I was right when I figured my fellow Montereyan sushi would answer correctly. Yes! spot on.

• share_oh
    5 years ago

No clue about driving but I have visited friends that lived in San Jose a couple of times and we went to the Monterrey Aquarium (loved it) and went on whale watching trips - highly recommend!

• 1929Spanish-GW
    5 years ago

Hi! Popping in from Southern California. Let me share these two photos from my car in early December with perfect weather on a Tuesday. Pay attention to the drive time:distance. North Orange County to Santa Monica and back.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Carol, sure if my daughter wakes up early enough to get there by lunchtime. Would love to meet you after all these year!

• roy4me
    5 years ago

Would love it.

My number is 805 929

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Carol, sent you a FB message.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

Unless it's a Saturday or Sunday, and/or you leave La Jolla VERY early in the morning, or drive through and past LA the night before, I think it's quite unlikely you'll be to Nipomo by "lunch time"

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I may do that Elmer, thanks.

• sushipup1
    5 years ago

To make you feel better, once you get past LA on the way north, you can expect smooth sailing. Yeah, there can always be something unexpected to slow you, but just breathe a sigh of relief and put Southern Cal in your rear view mirror. The rest is a nice drive.

• sushipup1
    5 years ago

Any updates? The weather's been lousy, and may affect plans. Let us know.

• Lars
    5 years ago

Traffic is not bad in L.A. on Saturday morning or Sunday morning, as a rule, but it is always a good idea to avoid rush hours. Even the weekdays are not that bad if you avoid rush hours. Also, Google maps will guide you through the fastest way - there are generally many alternative routes possible, although the Sepulveda pass on the 405 can be difficult to avoid. The Getty Museum in the Sepulveda pass would be worth visiting, if you had the time. I often take Hwy 1 through Malibu instead of Hwy 101 when going north - not because it is necessarily faster, but it is very scenic and has a calming effect on me. Not recommended in the rain, however.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sushipup, we leave later in the week. Will let you know how it goes. My daughter was diagnosed 2 days ago with the flu so we are both on Tamiflu. Hopefully I won't get it. She is already feeling better so it must work. I had the flu 2 years ago and I was out of it for about 6 days.

• sushipup1
    5 years ago

Stay well, and safe travels. Hope the weather is good for you, too.

• wildchild2x2
    5 years ago

Bring warm clothes and tire chains if you plan to cross mountains. The grapevine was closed today due to snow. Lots of high winds and overturned big rigs.

There is little smooth sailing any where in the state due to the recent weather. add time (a lot) to wherever you plan to go. Definitely not a good time to drive the coast.

It's been wet all week and today was sunny but really cold in the greater Bay Area north of Monterey.

The Santa Cruz Mountains also got snow and the hills surrounding San Francisco Bay area got a more than usual dusting.

This is a picture of the snow pack in the mountains behind Newport Beach in Southern California (Orange County) a friend shared today.

• sushipup1
    5 years ago

But the snow rarely lasts too long on the ground (except in the mountains) unless the weather takes a freaky turn. We've driven over the Grapevine the day after it was closed to snow, and it was clear by then.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I haven't owned chains since I lived in Northern NV. I only used them once, on my way home from work in Reno, had to drive through mountains home. I don't know why Kentuckians don't use chains, even in the hills...no one uses them. I've driven to work and back in blizzard like conditions and four or five inches of snow and ice on the ground. Oh, well....we are driving my son's Prius, which got whipped around by the wind earlier today. Hope the rain and wind aren't too bad on our way up to Monterey. Looks like dry and cold until we hit Arizona. Then it's going to be fairly nice. Rain on the days we will be heading up to Monterey. Hopefully it won't be too bad. We were around 70 degrees here yesterday and now it is freezing cold again. Had to take the trash down to the road and nearly froze my butt off!

• sushipup1
    5 years ago

Hope your trip is wonderful! Smooth sailing and warm sun! Stay safe!

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

Stay on the coast route when driving north (Hwy 101) and you most certainly won't have need for chains. More likely suntan location will be useful. A mid to late week rain storm is possible so manage the timing with that in mind. Enjoy yourself.

• nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
    5 years ago

Not to dampen anyone's enthusiasm for the north bound journey on the 405/west bound 101, but there are stretches of those freeways that rank in the top 10 in the country for traffic congestion during rush hour.

Timing is everything. A stop at the Getty Museum in the Sepulveda Pass -- through which the 405 passes -- can help to put you on the road at the right time. You might consider driving west on Sunset to PCH/Route 1 to avoid the infernal 405/101 interchange. PCH joins up with the 101 just past Oxnard. The drive is pretty and easier on the nerves.

Check for news of PCH closings if there is anything resembling the slightest of rainfall.

Edited to add: Also check for conditions on the Grapevine/Tejon Pass if you decide on the 5. There have been closings due to snow during the most recent storms.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

On 405 now driving through LA. Traffic isn't too bad. Just passed an accident but barely delayed us. It is raining lightly right now. Should make a late lunch with Carol as long as we have no issues!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

Safe travels!

• Linda C
    5 years ago

Hwy 1 is closed North of Ragged Point, which is just North of Hearst Castle.

• Linda C
    5 years ago

Hwy 166 where it merges with Hwy 101 is also closed.

• sushipup1
    5 years ago

She shouldn't even be planning for either of those roads, if she stays on 101 (as long as 101 is open) above Santa Barbara. But I hear the weather is lousy.

• roy4me
    5 years ago

I enjoyed meeting Kathleen and her daughter,Lauren today while having lunch at Rancho Nipomo.

Lots of wind and it looks like they will experience rain as they drive North on the 101.

So nice to meet them after all these years.

• eld6161
    5 years ago

NIce! Kath didn't mention a meet up, unless I missed it.

• OklaMoni
    5 years ago

How many KT peeps have you met now Carol?

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We made it here around 7 pm. It was great to meet Carol! She was really sweet and brought us gifts: cute, cloth shopping bags. It rained pretty much the entire way up the coast. I drove the last few hours so we were going quite a bit slower than when my daughter was driving earlier. No one drove the speed limit or even near it!