SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_429182698

overage size range? What size hood to fit over (the average) range?

Angela Wakerley
5 years ago

VERY last minute, my husbands dad convinced us to remodel our kitchen. The only thing staying in the exact place is the kitchen sink. The kitchen is a galley kitchen and very small. We’ve seen where others, with the same kitchen footprint, have added a peninsula so we are trying to do that. As well as move the fridge to the complete opposite wall, expand the entry from the dining to the kitchen and whatever else NEEDS to be done. my questions...my husband recently argued that 36” is the STANDARD for a range. I was under the complete different understanding that 30“ is the standard. I understand 36” is better (and I’d love to have that!). But, as I said, it’s a smaller galley kitchen as is and I’m pulling out as much storage and counter space I can get from this small space/kitchen.

Regardless if it’s 30” or 36” inch that is the “average” range size...what size hood should I look at to go over my gas range? Should it match the range size or be 6” inches wider? The ceiling is only 8” and, AGAIN, it is a smaller galley style kitchen. So...I’d love the size of a larger range and a larger hood just for “style”...but I really care more about storage and countertop space right now. I’ve read so many threads and they’re pretty conflicting. Any and all help is so very much appreciated!

Thank you

Comments (8)