SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_133796850

New Renovation!!!!

Jenny Starling
5 years ago

OMG I wrote a book.... sorry..... still... please help.

... premature help needed! I am a Gemini and prone to changing my mind.... a lot.....

This year my husband and I will be undergoing a massive renovation to our house. We will be renovating the living room, dining room, hallway and kitchen, laundry room, pantry/storage room (previously an unfinished bedroom), front porch with front garden and large workshop in the back yard with paved access to it including RV storage, and the last bathroom. Whew! It will be a complete gut job. Nothing can be salvaged, its all rotten.... the kitchen is anyway...and part of the laundry room. Exterior has already been redone and rot taken care of, same with the bathrooms. Last homeowners did many questionable things so the structure of the house had to be taken care of first, leaving all the pretties to the wayside. 12 years later, we are refinancing our home to afford all these renos.

My kitchen is my heart. It is where I abuse the hell out of life. I have kids and dogs (although they are not on the counter, but the kids are learning to go on it to get glasses and snacks, etc). I have a large European family on one side and an east coast family on the other so, I need durability. I am a full time working mom (teacher that brings work home) and my husband is a full time shift worker (rotating days and nights at a smelter). We have after school activities and are busy all-the-time. I don't have time to be meticulous and clean every 5 seconds but I like things to look tidy. Anyway, I showed my husband my Pinterest board of kitchens and he hated pretty much everything. Some more than others. What we agree on is keeping the kitchen light and bright. It already is... mostly. A wall will be coming down between the kitchen and the living room and that will make the space SO Much brighter. And I will be able to see the kids! YAY ! And watch TV while I cook and actually hear the tunes while I clean, etc, etc, etc.

So light grey or white cabinets (if I can get them). We live in a small town so our selection is limited and so are services and it all comes at a premium. Counter top surface will either be white or grey depending on the cabinets. Cabinets will be shaker style (no discussion there). Counter tops need to be durable and I mean durable. I do not cut on them but I do tend to leave stuff all over them for long periods of time. So, as stain proof as possible. Currently I have green painted laminate counter tops and they are... nasty (not my choice). They stain like crazy, but I can scrub the hell out of them and they are fine. I bake a lot, I love to cook. I use cast iron. I roll out dough for cookies and fondant with gel dye (stains horribly), I drink coffee to survive and tea before bed. I drink red wine and beer and occasionally make messes that don't always get cleaned up right away. I use a mallet to pound on meat on my counter tops. I am brutal to them. I know Formica/laminate will hold up fairly well because I have lived with it before and its quite durable, but it scratches horribly. Just moving a pot or trivet across the top of a glossy laminate will put surface marks on there I can never get out. I tried on some "satin finish" samples I brought home yesterday. The marks (not scratches) were made with an Instant Pot trivet. I have white Formica in my bathrooms and I scrub the dried toothpaste off it almost daily. My kids are gross. It still looks as great now as the day it was installed. just beautiful. I love natural wood. Always have, growing up. Vintage, old, rustic.... it gets me in the feels. I'm so sentimental lol.

I will need help with the design. I am so scatter brained with things, I change my mind a lot and I am afraid of making a large purchase and then, mind change; Oh, I don't like it any more. We can't afford my brain's flaky disorder.

I am firm on a neutral base of everything so that I can change accessories easily to suit my mood and taste and style changes. The rest of the soon to be open space will need to match.

We will have a pellet stove insert going into my fireplace, which means fireplace surround will change. Its gross and falling apart anyway. I want a nice WOOD mantle with stone around it, maybe tile? Stone is more timeless right?

Anyway, hard wearing products I can abuse. The showroom has Dekton, which feels gross to me, and of course husband loves it. But I like that I can scrub the hell out of it and do whatever to it and it will stay fine. The chipping freaks me out. Would a drop in sink solve that issue around the sink? But I think the price will be prohibitive... maybe. We will have to wait to see the quotes for everything. Quartz and Laminate are the other options. Granite is too busy for me. I like quiet but not solid colours. Calcutta marble type, soap stone in grey or even oiled black is nice. Soap stone is out of my price range entirely btw. Butcher block is another fav of mine with end cuts <3 LOVE, but the maintenance is horrible. I don't have time for that.

Kitchen is an L shape currently and will mostly stay like that (because of costs). It will be an L shape (sink on long part of the L and range with overhead microwave on the other side of the L. In front of that will be an island (in front of the long part of the L). I'm thinking 2 tier so when you walk in you don't see what I am doing, the mess, etc. And it will be cheaper because we wont have to move much electrical. Part of the top tier is not usable for people to sit at because it is right above the stairs (it will share a hallway) so its a safety issue. Seating can only happen at the other end of the tier in the living room/dining room area, IF I make it for seating. It doesn't have to be. THEN on the back wall on the 4th side of the L.... I guess this is more of a box shape then right? lol There will be the pantry, fridge and broom closet as well as the dogs fountain, food dish and kennel.

Appliances will be slate in colour. Stainless is lovely but tough to keep looking pristine and my undiagnosed/self diagnosed OCD would go crazy. I have black gloss range and microwave now and polishing it all the time drives me nuts! But it can also be therapeutic... more nut though. I have a slate refrigerator because it was the cheapest at the time that would somewhat go with the black we already have and our last fridge died at the same time as other appliances...... longer story... anyway we LOVE the fridge and the ease of cleaning. OMG its amazing. So, slate appliances, non negotiable.

So, to summarize, Slate appliances (like the GE brand)

Grey or some kind of warm white shaker style cabinets

Dekton, Quartz or Formica counter tops in either light or grey (no dark colours and must be quiet, not dizzy and needs to be durable mostly against stains and banging on them (heh) ).

No glass doors on the cabinets (husband loathes them with spitting malice)

Wood somewhere to warm up the space (butcher block top tier on island?, some open shelving next to sink above future dishwasher (we currently dont have one and it sucks).

Floors in a wood look. NO TILE! We have had to deal with too much cracking and splitting and grout flaking out of lines and crumbling. We have bad luck with tile. Poor installers? I don't know. Tile on our second floor is awful. Bottom floor is great though. Sooo Laminate? Again, must be durable. I have a psycho French Bulldog, a little girl that loves rolling her babies in strollers and wearing heels while pretending she is in a race and a little boy that loves sliding, RC cars and trucks and re-enacting video game scenes lol. Floor would probably run through the entire upstairs (kitchen, living, dining, hallway).

Backsplash tile in with a dark grout to hide the dirt. LOVE patterns in neutrals, not crazy colours. Marble or white subway or those subway tiles that look hand made with slight wavy imperfections so lovely, even grey would work I think, but I want timeless and easy to clean.

Paint colours to match everything??? No idea?

Currently popcorn ceiling.... gonna go... maybe plank the ceiling or smooth ? dunno

Board and batton around dining, living room to add interest? dunno

Currently dining room table, chairs, coffee table, side tables and china cabinet are a cherry wood with brushed nickel (china cabinet) and oiled bronze tone hardware on the coffee table and side tables. Chairs have a creamy white seat which need to be recovered..... kids and grubby fingers. Couches are currently a light mushroom taupe colour in microsuede. I would like to change them out for a weathered brown leather couch and 2 occasional chairs that wont be so occasional.... kids and dog. (again this is also not set in stone)

Lighting will completely change. Currently its shop lights.... yes, that's right. Shop lights in the kitchen. Ugly white painted downward facing chandelier in the dining room and 2 shiny brass robot arm looking sconces on either side of the fire place that are not even. Very little light comes from them.

So, can anyone guide me in some kind of direction?

PS here is one that my husband and I actually somewhat agreed upon. https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/251286854194970297/

Comments (23)