SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cignig

Washing machines that I can manually fill

cignig
5 years ago

Are there washing machines that will allow you to fill the machine with as much water as you want? I have a really old Kenmore that's on its way out but it allows me to turn the fill dial to a setting which allows water to keep filling it up as needed until I release it. This comes in handy with certain loads.

I tried using a newer one at my parent's house but it always seems like there isn't enough water for the load and when I increase the dial to the next size, it's too much water.

Comments (24)

• User
    5 years ago

I have a pullout faucet in the sink next to my front loader. For particularly dirty loads that need more water (Workout clothes mostly), I wait till both fills are over and then add water with the faucet through the detergent door till it’s sloshing more. I also wash everything on towels cycle as it apparently puts the most water in; I just change the temperature from hot to warm.

Just don‘t wedge the faucet in place and walk away-the water filled the machine till the door burst open. Luckily, it was in my garage-what a mess.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

cleo07, frontloader doors lock during operation and have they an overflow port on back of the outer tub ... odd that your door "burst open" from an overfill. It'd be interesting to have been there to observe exactly by what mechanism that happened!

cignig, your (toploader) Kenmore has a mechanical water level control. Presumably you're looking for another toploader. Top- or frontloader, it's rare to find a machine nowadays with mechanical controls, they're pretty much all electronic (even if the console knobs are rotary dials) that can't be finagled for a given setting ... such an in-between water level vs. what's marked on the dial. You didn't cite the model number of your Kenmore so I have no reference for how "really old" it may be. All the major mechanical parts are still available to do a rebuild of it if it's a direct-drive model circa 1981 to ~2010.

• Related Discussions

cold water won't fill Maytag washing machine

Q

Comments (5)
    If the ATC requires 70 degree water and your water is 40 degrees it will use hot water and cold to end up with 70 degree water. Whether it uses both at one time or hot and then add cold I dont know. If the hot water coming in is cool at first then it wont add cold water to already cool or cold hot. It may take a minute for the hot water to get hot enough to add cold.
    ...See More

Can I buy an industrial grade washing machine like laundromats?

Q

Comments (5)
    Yes you can but it will cost you plenty. Here's a link with USED laundry equipment and even those range in the thousands of dollars. If you're serious it might be worth it if you're really rough on your machines. Also, some washers don't pump out wash/rinse water, they use gravity to empty the tub so look into that. Electric hook ups might need to be beefed up also...lots to consider so do lots of research. Here is a link that might be useful: Used Commercial Laundry Equipment This post was edited by georgect on Thu, May 2, 13 at 10:49
    ...See More

Kitchenaid DW - can I manually fill with water as a stopgap and test?

Q

Comments (9)
    I think you're doing this the hard way... Drain the D/W and let it fill. When you hear the water valve shut off, open the door and look to see how much water is in the bottom of the tub. The water level should be just touching the float for the overflow switch. For your machine it should be a round float in front. If your water is no where close to the float clean the water valve screen or replace the water valve. Before replacing the valve make sure you flush the water line and have a good strong flow to the water valve.
    ...See More

Need help finding a repair manual for a Miele w2888 washing machine

Q

Comments (0)
    I have bought a secondhand washing machine Miele navtronic w2888 and need to repair it , I think it has blocked pipes.
    ...See More
  • jjaazzy
    5 years ago

my front loader has an extra water selection and has a pre wash option so If something seems like it needs a lot of water I hit both. It's an LG large front loader.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Top load mechanical control Speed Queen. The machine has manual settings but if you want to add more water, you can just twist the dial and hold it until it has reached the water level you desire. You'll have to find a pre-2018 Speed Queen because I think all of the 2018 SQ's are electronic controls.

• shead
    5 years ago

Ditto Speed Queen! I love mine and switched back after an epic Maytag HE top load fail :)

• dadoes
    5 years ago

Yes, all SQ toploaders have electronic controls as of the 2018 model-year ... no manual dials to twist/tweak.

There is an "commercial" non-coinop model with mechanical controls but it does not have a water level switch on the panel. The fill-level pressure switch is hidden inside the console, one level, full-fill only. It could be replaced with an adjustable switch by a DIYer who's up to the task of obtaining the parts, drilling a hole in the panel and mounting the switch. Otherwise the choice is finding a source who still has a stock of new 2017 machines, or finding one on the used market.

• shead
    5 years ago

The SQ website shows 3 models, 2 of which are not electronic but have the twist and turn knobs. It doesn't say the year model on them, though.

https://www.speedqueen.com/products/top-load-washers.aspx

• dadoes
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Yes, I know what's on SQ's web site. Those are the 2018 models, possibly 2019 by now (there are slight revisions for 2019). 2018 introduced a redesigned drive system and completely different wash action than 2017. The top model TR7 has a touch-panel for cycle/option selection with a computer machine-control board inside the console. The two lower models TR5 and TR3 with rotary dials ... those are selectors to set the cycle options into the computer board that's in the console. Not "old-style" mechanical controls. There's another board mounted in the base to control the drive motor.

• User
    5 years ago

dadoes-this was an older front loader from probably 2005 so maybe it locked differently. i was washing cloth diapers at the time so max water was necessary for rinsing. It definitely pushed the door open. What made it even worse was the diaper load-I had to bleach everything the water touched in the garage.

My new one hasn’t been tested with a forgotten faucet wedged in the drawer thank goodness.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

It would never have occurred to me that the washer would need more water than the automatic fill, even when washing diapers. Have you tried it on the heaviest soil setting and given it the chance to do its job? I wash some nasty, nasty clothes including cloth diapers and have never needed to rewash.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

" are not electronic but have the twist and turn knobs. "

That's just a different way to control the electronics, not a lack of electronics. My range is the same - it has knobs, but it's still electronic rather mechanical. It's kind of nice to have that option (operating with knobs instead of a touch screen or buttons), but the inner workings are all the same.

• cignig
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. The kenmore is about as old as I am. My parents bought it back in the 80s and whatever info was on it is gone as far as I could tell. I just checked out some of the speedqueens and they look good but, I live alone and don't do much washing often, so I'll probably stick to the cheaper brands. Unless there are cheaper speedqueens out there, the cheapest ones I'm finding are about double the price of some of the other brands.

The manual fill was more a preference than it was a necessity. I just wasn't sure what was out there due to having used the same machine my whole life.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Well I can think of three loads you probably have weekly...bed sheets, bath towels, and kitchen towels. Since your alone you can probably go longer than a week for darks and whites...LOL...But get what works for you. Let us know what you decide on good luck and have fun shopping.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    5 years ago

The new machines use so much less water. That's how they are designed.

You might be happier with a top-loader, since that's what you're accustomed to. I sure would be, but when we bought our machines it was necessary to stack them. When it's time to replace the washer I will look at top loaders first.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

There are some models that fill to a full tub. Maytag model MVWP575GW is an example. The drawback is that the fill level is essentially either HALF or FULL ... no choice between. The Normal cycle is auto-sense, usually fills to half. The other cycles (Mixed, Delicates, Powerwash, Bulky/Towels) are hard-coded for FULL.

Fisher & Paykel WashSmart model WA3927G1 has choice of auto-sense (which works quite well) or five manual levels. The brand can be difficult to find in some areas and is expen$ive.

• ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Cignig--in your shoes, I would shop the used market. Used Speed Queen or used Whirlpool/ Kenmore. Ideally one from an estate sale under the theory than it may not have seen a lot of hard use.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

There are many WP/KM old-style direct-drive washers available on the used market. Condition varies. Some appliance repair and resale shops refurbish them (to varying degrees) and some may offer a (short) warranty. There's also Facebook Marketplace, CraigsList, and other online sale-forums.

• Jeanne Udall
    last year

I guess from all of the comments the answer is NO!!

• shead
    last year
    last modified: last year

I guess from all of the comments the answer is NO!!

Well, a quick google search yields a result of a GE model that touts "Use as much water as you want with flexible water features." I'm sure there may be other models by now since this has been a common complaint since the advent of HE washing machines. I still have my pre-2018 Speed Queen and will replace parts as necessary before buying a new HE machine. I'm actually thinking of stocking up on the common parts in case they quit making them :)

• dadoes
    last year

There are, since this 3+ yo discussion began, toploader models of some brands that have a deep wash option and/or a water-add button. The functionality of water-add varies. Each press of it typically adds a couple gallons more water. Some have a function that pressing/holding adds water to the maximum allowed level.

• armjim
    last year

that is interesting dadoes. I did not think any of the current models would allow the user to add water in that manner beyond what I have on my SQ (holding the reset button), pre-2018 of course. I like having that flexibility, but it is kind of frustrating having to dash into the LR when the washer is on rinse to hold the reset knob when I want the extra water because I have tub filled to natural capacity. You once told me about the adjustment I could do, but I did not want the corresponding lower levels being affected.

• wdccruise
    last year

The LG WT7005 and WT7155 agitator washers, among others, allows you to select Deep Fill or Maximum Fill before or during a cycle.

• sweetverve
    8 months ago

Maytag has come out with a new commercial-grade top-loader that allows selecting manually selecting water fill levels (MVWP585GW).

There's also a couple of GE top-loaders that have selectable water levels.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!